GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To All,

I have a GPS that I want to use on my Wing. The GPS came with a cigarette-lighter type of DC power connector. What is the best method to make this work on the Wing?

Thanks in advance,

Bill T.

·
Registered
578 Posts
several choices---I like the Honda power outlet in the left fairing pocket or even under the pocket

I

·
0 Posts
Unless you want to put a cigarette receptacle in your dash, cut off that cig lighter plug and put on an appropriate Hitachi style plug that will plug into the 12V accessory plug behind your left pocket. I beleive there is also one under the right pocket. Be sure you get the poliarity right when you put the new plug on your GPS power cord.

Contact Electrical Connection

http://www.electricalconnection.com/ele ... itachi.htm

The can supply you with the correct plug

Ride Safe. Happy New Year.[/quote]

·
Registered
994 Posts
IBTrike said:
Unless you want to put a cigarette receptacle in your dash, cut off that cig lighter plug and put on an appropriate Hitachi style plug that will plug into the 12V accessory plug behind your left pocket.
Ride Safe. Happy New Year.
CAREFULL !
Before you do that make sure that your GPS is actually 12V. Some "cig lighter plug" have circuit boards that actually reduce voltage to whatever the unit requires. Connecting these to 12V can actually harm the unit.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Why don't you tell us which GPS you have? There may be a an aftermarket cable that you can hard-wire to the bike and leave the cigarette lighter plug for use in your car, where it belongs.

(Of course, some people don't mind having cables laying loose around the bike)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I hardwired mine into an auxillary fuse panel and fused it with a 3A fuse. I chose this installation so that all my accessories are connected in one of the fuse panels. This fuse panel remains hot after the ignition is shut off so I can continue to use the GPS on a break. I also decided that I did not want to dig around through a mess of wires searching for a barrel-type fuse holder if there were a problem.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I hardwired mine into an auxillary fuse panel and fused it with a 3A fuse. I chose this installation so that all my accessories are connected in one of the fuse panels. This fuse panel remains hot after the ignition is shut off so I can continue to use the GPS on a break. I also decided that I did not want to dig around through a mess of wires searching for a barrel-type fuse holder if there were a problem.

·
Registered
19,256 Posts
skiwax nice sano job

i suggest hardwiring too

call electrical connection or cycle gadgets

they have plug and play harnesses that do the job right

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To All,

Wow! Thanks so much for the great responses and photos.

My GPS is a Magellan Roadmate 360. I am planning to upgrade to a better one sometime next year.

Later,

Bill T.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Skiwax - Looks like you are broke down. All your OEM 10 amp fuses are in upside down, and that could reverse the polarity of the units, reversing the magnetic field....... :lol: :lol:

Merry Christmas To All, and To All Good Night......

·
Registered
83 Posts
Harry,

By Golly, You're right!!

No wonder my flux capacitor does not hold charge as well as it used to. I wonder also if this is why music on my iPod plays backwards. Hmmmm??

Today I'll check for any kinks in my wiring to make sure that the electrons flow easily and are not squeezed as they move through tight corners.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts