GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From time to time I think all of us come upon a short stretch of roadway that consists of open metal grating, usually on a bridge. At such times I can feel my tires lose their bite on the roadway causing the bike to wallow slightly. This to me is a very uneasy feeling. It has been my practice to let the bike decelerate as I cross the grating. Am I doing this right or should I maintain constant speed or even accelerate over the grating?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Unless that bridge grating has icicles hanging from it, just ride your normal ride. Don't tense up and just let the bike go where it wants. Trust me... you're not going to fall over. Same goes for gravel roads, and pavement that has been ripped up with the itty bitty rows that like to wallow you around.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
there are some bridges over the mississippi arround here that have the metal grateing. my first couple times, i slowed down and nearly had a spill. someone told me as dumb as this may sound that a higher speed will make it easier to handle and smoother.

anyhow i get in the middle of the roadway and go about 40 miles an hour now, and that seems to work . i do not like that stuff at all, even less than a gravel road. at least a gravel road doesnt have a river to fall into.

loren

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
and don't forget those evil rain groves the highway depts like to etch into the concrete...talk about wallow!

:yw1:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Roadrash

I agree with RodeHard, I usta live in Jacksonville FL & had ta cross ah bridge often with ah long metal grate, i think it was th Matthews Bridge . I just treated it like ice especially when wet, by that i mean i didn't require anything extra from th tires in th way of traction. No sudden speed changes, or directional changes, i call it TIPTOEING. I crossed th bridge alot with no problems. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have to do the cheese gratter bridges a lot. My suggestion is go with the flow. Focus on the otherside and take it easy. Care if you have to brake. It may feel like a lot of front end wobble but it going straight.

If you look closely at the deck it got little nubs all over it. It will make the bike wobble. I have one that realy long. Hundreds of feet. To top it off the is steel repair sheets all over the place.

soon enought you will be on the other side

·
Registered
824 Posts
Everyone's response is correct. Just ride through it and try not to fight it. No sudden speed changes or directional changes except in an emergency.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
One word....

Relax!!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Can't add anything that hasn't been said. Just relax and go with it. I just posted to aid my quest of catching Bulldog on total number of posts..... :D

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I haven't ridden a grated bridge on the Wing yet. It has to be better than with the old style tires that had only streight rib tread on front. Those would cause serious puckering.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Fat chance Andy, but then again it is always nice to set goals. lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
The biggest mistake you can make is to focus to close to the front of the bike. I often ride a route that has a narrow bridge (one car only) with two metal strips just wide enough for car tires and a drop off os 8-10" on each side. I just focus ahead of the bike and don't make any adjustments. I will say that I fret about it as it is coming up but, so far, no problems.

·
Registered
585 Posts
You are all forgetting the most important thing on high bridge road grating. Man, you've GOT to look down. The grating disappears and that wing seems like she's..........flying!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
metal decking

ive practiced starting in to one side of the lane im in and letting the bike wander to the other side of the lane not always easy but it helps alot int the wallowing part... just my .02 cents

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Tater said:
I haven't ridden a grated bridge on the Wing yet. It has to be better than with the old style tires that had only streight rib tread on front. Those would cause serious puckering.
LOL

Yeah, the "Pucker Factor".

Comin back from Assateague (sp) island to Milwaukee on my 73 Z1 before I got windshield or fairing. Feet so sunburned from camping that I oculdn't get my boots on...too swollen. Wow the engine heat felt good on those babies. Anyway, after about 16 hours of driving we come into Chicago. I'm fallin asleep. It starts raining, and then we hit the metal bridge grates on the freeway.

Man, did I WAKE UP!

Talk about your pucker. No problem falling asleep for the remaining hour and a half of the drive, or for the rest of that day.

Damned ribbed front tires. :x

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Living in Chicagoland a popular trip is around lake Michigan. In the upper peninsula is the Mackinaw bridge- They say its 5 miles long with approaches the 2 inside lanes are grated for the strong winds up there and we usually ride the grates the whole way really not a big deal I think it's 3 miles or so.
i think Rodehard and a lot of others described the sensation you feel and how to overcome it . just RELAX balance and steer your bike as you normally would it's only going to wobble a little as your tires are a little misdirected by the lines in the grating. Most of the fear is in your head.
your not going to fall.

Tony Chicagoland 8)

·
Chard Member
12,972 Posts
Steady grip on the bars, maintain your speed, and try to stay in the track/groove the bike is in.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I echo the "relax" advice. Don't introduce anything into the front end by taking a death grip, just let your hands rest gently on the handlebars. The front end may skitter about, but the centrifugal force of the wheel will try to maintain a straight line. I have Metzlers and the SuperBrace and the front end on Rio does not follow rain grooves or the lines of grating. Now lets not get into an argument about the SuperBrace - it works for me, doesn't for others. I'll let it rest there.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Ya Mackinaw Bridge

Ya what tony said about the Mackinaw Bridge in Michigan ! I hate that dirty (*^$EE*&_) grating. Oh man the pucker factor was a solid 10 for me, ya , ya, I hear ya, relax. How in the hell are ya suppose to relax when the front end is bouncing back and forth and there's a 30mph crosswind, and right next to you is a 53' 18 wheeler ! LOL Ya relax my butt ! LOL I swear I put inprints in my handlebars ! :yes2:
But really, a little grateing doesnt bother me too much, it's the long time mile plus with crosswinds that I DO NOT care for one little bit ! :eek:4:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts