GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a HJC Symax which is great for the first hour & a half but much over 100 mi it starts to hurt a bit where it presses up high on my forehead. Right now a new helmet isn't an option so want to get this one to be comfortable over a longer period. Is there a way to do this without ruining the liner?
Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I use a small /medium ballpeen hammer & "ROLL" THE ROUND END with some force around untill it fits better sometimes this takes a few tries...OK MOST times it takes a few tries..

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I have a HJC Symax which is great for the first hour & a half but much over 100 mi it starts to hurt a bit where it presses up high on my forehead. Right now a new helmet isn't an option so want to get this one to be comfortable over a longer period. Is there a way to do this without ruining the liner?
Thanks, Steve
I just work mine with the ball end of a ball peen hammer. You don't have to press very hard, just work it a bit and then try it on. Just remember, once you compress the EPS, it won't come back so don't over do it.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I just work mine with the ball end of a ball peen hammer. You don't have to press very hard, just work it a bit and then try it on. Just remember, once you compress the EPS, it won't come back so don't over do it.
I have done the same thing with a spoon.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have done basicly the the same thing, but use handle of a screw driver.
Craftsman screw divers are good for this since they have a nice round end on them.
I lay a towel down to protect the helmet then take the screw driver handle and slide it forcefully back and forth across the part of the liner that causes the pain.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Well, I must say I'm pretty disappointed in you guys. I opened this thread expecting to see some of the GL1800 wisecrackers at their best. You know, humorous suggestions about altering one's skull. I feel let down. :shrug:

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Same as the others have listed allowed me to "adjust" my SymaxII. I can ride all day now with only a little ear pain (caused, I think, by the Slik I wear). I had a tight spot right where you describe it. Actually, after using the SymaxII for two years, my old AC3 feels too tight now.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Well, I must say I'm pretty disappointed in you guys. I opened this thread expecting to see some of the GL1800 wisecrackers at their best. You know, humorous suggestions about altering one's skull. I feel let down. :shrug:
I guess the hammer trick would work well if used on the head too. Problem is, you have to wait for the swelling to go down before you know if it worked. :eek:4:

That really takes too long and one would probably lose interest. :wrong:

+1 on the hammer/spoon trick. Um,,,,,,,,,,,,,use it on the helmet though.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Ok then, put the helmet on and get yourself a can of expanding foam and fill it up.

Not sure how the hell you will ever get the helmet off, but it sure would fit well if you ever did. :lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I use a small /medium ballpeen hammer & "ROLL" THE ROUND END with some force around untill it fits better sometimes this takes a few tries...OK MOST times it takes a few tries..
The helmet, not your head. :lol:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Ok then, put the helmet on and get yourself a can of expanding foam and fill it up.

Not sure how the hell you will ever get the helmet off, but it sure would fit well if you ever did. :lol::lol:
Put a plastic bag over your head first before you use the foam. That will let you take it of if you can hold your breath until it hardens.

·
Registered
248 Posts
A FULL soda can works in the same manner as the hammer while allowing a larger surface area. Just ROLL the end of the can back and forth over the forehead portion. :yes1:

Good Luck.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had a problem with my Nolan and called them for a what do I do now ? They told me they used a baseball to roll it out . Sure enough it works.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
If the padding is like a Styrofoam material, the hard object pressing/reshaping will work but it will eventually tighten up again. It usually has a memory :shock:. It should be reworked with a file or razor blade.
Rubber type foam padding usually conforms to your skull.
Reshaping your skull in a vise may work also :eek:4::joke:.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Cranio / Plastic surgery is just another solution. See if your insurance will cover. If not, have your attorney sue HJC. Just a meandering thought.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I had a problem with my Nolan and called them for a what do I do now ? They told me they used a baseball to roll it out . Sure enough it works.

I didn't know that they even knew about baseball in Italy!!!! Then again... I guess a meat ball would just make a mess!!! :joke:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts