GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forum but was not finding the information I needed. I will be towing my Goldwing behind my motorhome this summer. What are the best points to tie down (I.E. triple tree, engine guard, passenger hand grip, lower/rear saddlebag guard). What works best for you? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect. I knew I saw this somewhere but I'm getting old any my memory weak! Thanks a bunch.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Can anyone suggest a source for purchase of the soft tie straps?

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I searched the forum but was not finding the information I needed. I will be towing my Goldwing behind my motorhome this summer. What are the best points to tie down (I.E. triple tree, engine guard, passenger hand grip, lower/rear saddlebag guard). What works best for you? Thanks in advance.

In addition to the Tulsa recommendation, I have the Canyondancer Bar-Harness II that is great for preventing side sway and more peace of mind when going aroung sweeping curves. Just do not rachet them down very tight to avoid damage to the grips. Rely on the other 4 wide straps that Tulsa shows.

I also use 2 soft ties for each of the 4 main straps because they chafe easilly over the triple trees and the frame.

Canyondancer website: http://www.canyondancer.com/Products.aspx

:thumbup:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Tie-Down

This has been discussed a few times here. You will see different views on what to do and how to do it. The use of a Condor unit is my first choice. The link provided will show you what it is and how to use it. When I have needed to trailer our wing I've used a Condor and two tie-downs. The tie-downs can be doubled for security. Once the bike is in the Condor, the two tie-down points will be at the "Y" in the frame beneath the side panels. Loops should be placed here and then strapped to floor tie-down points approximately 18" forward and 18" away from the bike. There are other ways to do it, but this works great for us.

http://store.condor-lift.com/

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I agree with the above. The use of a quality chock, like Condor or Baxter stabilizes the whole thing, and makes loading/unloading a 1 man job.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
If you have a trailer hitch user two tie downs from the hitch to the sides to keep the bike from moving in bumps etc. I have a frontwheel chock, and two sets of tiedowns from the tripple tree and have towed over 40,000 miles in back of pickup in back of motorcoach and only had one tiedown snap because I pulled to tight and strain broke it. No big deal chock kept everything ok but I could see strap waving in rearview tv camera on coach. Don

·
Registered
202 Posts
You can pick up soft ties at most m/c shops/stores. Also, the gold book has the tie down in which I think is the one from Tulsa.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts