GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I just purchased a 2003 Goldwing that is in great shape. My only complaint is the after market windshield that blocks my entire body. I am looking to purchase a factory shield, but I see many other manufacturers and different material. Is there a general consensus on best windshield and why?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I have a Tulsa on our 2005 and on the 2000 Wings. It leans back and really helps in the rain.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
:agree: :thumbup:

Love my Tulsa for it's crystal clear acrylic optics, great anti-buffeting characteristics, etc. AND, they make shorter shields if you so desire...
Tulsa understands aerodynamics.

I have a Tulsa on our 2005 and on the 2000 Wings. It leans back and really helps in the rain.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a Tulsa on my 09. I love the wind protection and looks BUT, after an 8600 mile trip this summer I have been rethinking it.
Everytime we got into the rain it would not clear until about 45 mph and then the drops would roll over the top lip and down the inside of the windshield. I had one on a '97 and never had this problem. I don't know if the '97 and '09 angles are different or not. Sure would like to remedy this though.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
ClearView +4 tinted with vent. Allows me to raise and lower it for conditions. Offers great protection for my wife(when she is onboard). I dont hit my head on it gettin on and off as I did with the "swept back" design shields. I like the stand up look rather than the laid back look.

·
Registered
686 Posts
There won't be any consensus...

You'll get a number of "works best" for one simple reason....

...each rider is looking for something 'different' in windshields.

I'm partial to the Windbender. It works for me. It's adjustable (albeit not on the fly), but it is able to be upgraded to an electric adjustment for a price. I can change-out to a clear "upper" shield if I want. It feels good for my riding style.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I'm really not sure what you are asking. Most have given the taller type shield the nod here, but I seem to think you are looking the other way.
V-Sream is good and what I am using, it is wide and a good replacement for stock. Adjustable and vented, seems to make the pillion happy, but a little too quiet a bubble for me. Not too much moving behind it, baker wings help cure that. Wind Bender makes an adjustable shield that looks a little shorter and presumably gives a bit more options for the rider. It has a following, but I can't really comment on it because I never used one.
Stock could be fine for you, but it buffets a bit for some folks.

Welcome to the Madd House.

Happy hunting.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I haven't heard of the Clearview so did a search of past posts and found this...

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264788&highlight=clearview

The plus side is it is 3" wider than stock and you can order it in different heights. The down side is it looks like it will scratch. Under $200.00 without the vent and around $60.00 with the vent. I might have to take a hard look at this one when the time comes to replace my stock shield.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
F4+4 due to rain/wind/buffeting protection, tough surface and ability to see thru in rain.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I have the F-4 standard height and keep it almost all the way down year round and look over it. I like the fact that it can be cleaned with just about anything with out damaging it. I went through 2 OEM sheilds in 3 yrs due to them scratching so bad. F-4 is almost as hard as glass.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
The 45mph figure is about right... then, the rain dissipates in a really neat pattern, and the minor "drip" into the cockpit doesn't bother me at all personally. :shrug: I think it works pretty swell! :thumbup:

I have a Tulsa on my 09. I love the wind protection and looks BUT, after an 8600 mile trip this summer I have been rethinking it.
Everytime we got into the rain it would not clear until about 45 mph and then the drops would roll over the top lip and down the inside of the windshield. I had one on a '97 and never had this problem. I don't know if the '97 and '09 angles are different or not. Sure would like to remedy this though.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Had two Tulsa's over about 12 years. I now have a V Stream SE for 2 years. I won't be going back to Tulsa. There is no comparison. V Stream doesn't scratch like the Tulsa and sheds water better. Plus I don't smack my head on the windshield anymore.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Hello all, I just purchased a 2003 Goldwing that is in great shape. My only complaint is the after market windshield that blocks my entire body. I am looking to purchase a factory shield, but I see many other manufacturers and different material. Is there a general consensus on best windshield and why?
If you decide to go with stock and a 2010 will work ( I am not sure it will).

I have a 2010 stock wind screen that has a very small crack (looks like a rock chip in a car windshield about 1/4 inch funky stress circle) done by dealer in Minnesota before pick up at the base corner in the lowest position.

I drilled a 1/8 hole to prevent the crack from “growing” while waiting for my new wind screen. I drove the bike back to Alaska and the dealer shipped me a new screen and my “fix” worked, crack stayed the same. I left it in the lowest position the entire trip.

The "cracked" one is on a nether reach shop shelf dusting while waiting for a "just in case" event but I could take some photos and make you a rare deal on that if you are interested PM me.

If you ride in the lowest position you can not notice the crack unless you are really looking and know where it is. It was initially “cracked” in that position.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Vstream. Good for the passenger and you can look over the top with no wind.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
If I read the OP correctly he is not happy with the aftermarket windshield on his newly purchased 2003 because it blocks his whole body. I would think the +4 and extra wide windshields are going the wrong way for him. If I understand him he is wanting a smaller windshield! The stock windshield may be fine depending on how tall you are from your waist up. I do not like looking through a windshield at all when Im solo, but needed something that would block more wind when the wife is along, so I bought a Windbender. It is a two piece windshield that you can move either the top or the bottom manually or if you have enough cash, the top can move electrically. Its an interesting concept, I like it but its not perfect...I dont know if there is a perfect one for everybody. I bought my windbender here: http://www.firecreekacc.com/

He sells a few different sizes and designs depending on what you are trying to accomplish and how tall you are. I went with the HP

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
V-Stream also has terrible distorted optics in the entire lower 1/2 of the shield, looks weird, and is overly expensive... wouldn't have one personally. That's why it's good there exists so many options for us to make individual choices!

Had two Tulsa's over about 12 years. I now have a V Stream SE for 2 years. I won't be going back to Tulsa. There is no comparison. V Stream doesn't scratch like the Tulsa and sheds water better. Plus I don't smack my head on the windshield anymore.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts