GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been discussed at length before...but...would be interested in some opinions. Looking for a windshield that reduces buffeting around the sides and top by itself, or without the aid of airwings, etc. I am 5'8" so I sit up average height. I have the stock set one position up so I can see over the top.

What's out there: Tulsa, Cee Baileys, Windbender. They all make great claims and they all probably actually do some of what they say.

What do you guys say? Appreciate any comments.

Bill Coleman
2003 Yellow Wing (my second one)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Best Windshield

Bill,
Give us a call, we will be glad to explain why we feel ours is better and back it up with a 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee.
However, what you are asking, to control the buffeting from the top and sides, with just the windshield is NOT possible, for any windshield.
The air that is coming from under the mirrors can NOT be impacted by ANY windshield, regardless of what anyone claims.
The windshield can, depending on the aerodynamics (shape and configuration), reduce the amount of buffeting from the air flowing off of the windshield area, but, it CAN NOT do anything about the air from below the mirrors or around the fairing.
Regards,
Allen/Tulsa
800-824-6566

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Be advised that the Tulsa shield disables the stock windshield adjusters. This isn't mentioned on their website.

I get tired of mentioning this, but it needs to be included.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
ill offer my choice of a plus 4 inch clearview with a factory installed functioning vent.

i will love that vent in the warm weather.

loren

·
Registered
824 Posts
mrgl02 said:
Be advised that the Tulsa shield disables the stock windshield adjusters. This isn't mentioned on their website.

I get tired of mentioning this, but it needs to be included.
I found that out the hard way. I didn't like not being able to adjust the shield up or down, ended up taking it off and put the Cee Bailey shield on it. I chose the Cee Bailey for two reasons over the Windbender - 1 was price, 2 was the looks of the Bailey vs the Windbender.

All that being said, I have friends with the Tulsa and with the Windbender and they all swear by the product they bought as I do the Bailey's.

If anybody wants to buy a Tulsa shield without the double sided tape that holds it in place, contact me.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Hey Darryl,

Shows to go ya! The best windshield, is..........(drum roll) the one that suits you best. And the only way to find that out, is buy and install a bunch of them or ride your buddies bikes till you find one that you like.

I know that lots of people are affected differently by the wind. ( I am so danged short, I have all I can do to see over the dash...LOL)

I for one, bought a bike , so that I could be out in the wind. If I don't want any wind, I take the cage with the AC running on slow fan.

Bulldog

·
Registered
343 Posts
Tell it like it is Bulldog!
It ain't no automobile!
You can put a 5 foot tall windshield on it, and you'll still get your butt wet when it rains.
The wind will still find you.
If you ride it in the winter, you will get cold.
Ride in the summer you will be hot.
You can get sunburned riding.
Bugs will from time to time strike you.
You will hear noises, and smell odors.
There is NO air conditioning provided and what little heat you get isn't worth mentioning.
It's hard to hear the radio at 80 MPH.
Your seat won't adjust or recline.
There are no floor mats.
No windshield wiper either.
You gotta hold it up when you stop.
You get ON it, not in it.
If you have a passenger, they belong behind you, not beside.
Don't worry about seat belts. (yet)
There is a reason the child seat won't fit on the back seat!!!!
The fuel tank is small, no 600 mile cruising range. Live with it!!!
Eating while in motion is not advised.
Does not come with factory cup holders.
No ash trays either.
Cargo capacity is very limited.
No arm rests.
Isn't it great!!!

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Rottendawg,

One Dawg to another, I am afraid that I must disagree on one point (only).

You "CAN" hear the tunes at 80 MPH. Just install E/C's Amp and Polk speakers and you have a complete Heavy Metal band in your trunk.

Don't ask how I know.

My Bud Dr. Rob, uses his as a deer alarm as well.

Everythin eltz you dun gud on! :lol:

Dawg

·
Registered
824 Posts
Bulldog said:
Hey Darryl,

I for one, bought a bike , so that I could be out in the wind. If I don't want any wind, I take the cage with the AC running on slow fan.

Bulldog
I agree with you big guy. It was the spousal unit that wanted a little less buffeting! If the spousal unit aint happy, this spousal unit is definetly unhappy :( !

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well said Rottendawg

I have a sure way to cure the buffetting problem. Take the windshield off.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
On the windshields... I believe some brands retain the factory adjustablity, others do not ?

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Both the WindBender and Cee Baileys retain the factory adjustability. And the Windbender adds another 5 or 6 inches to the adjustment, in both directions. And the Windbender also has a soon-to-be-released option that adds an electric motor to allow you to adjust it on the fly with the flick of a switch on the handlebars.

Both Cee Baileys and Windbender dramatically reduce both driver and passengar buffeting. I have tested both, two-up, and my passengar reports a huge difference over the stock windsheild. I do not have mirror deflectors installed (yet).

·
Registered
762 Posts
Fred, between the Cee Baileys and the WindBender, which, in your opinion, does a better job at deflecting wind over the rider (not passenger - I don't normally carry a passenger). I do have a CB+2", but I'm still somewhat disappointed with the results. I have the CB set at almost the same level as the oem to reduce buffeting to a level I can handle. I'd prefer to have the windshield as low as possible. Would the Windbender help in that regard? Also, I find the CB to be a beast to raise or lower due to its increased thickness. Is the WindBender closer to the thickness of the oem shield?

Thanks,
Arthur

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
You must have gotten one of the early models of Cee Baileys shield. I believe that at some point in production, they changed the thickness. The one I have is no problem to raise and lower. you might want to contact them and see if they could swap you out with a thinner model.

It is a toss up as far as buffetiing between the Windbender and Cee Baileys. They are both real close. The Windbender definetly gets more air moving up between the panels and over your head. In this respect, it wins out. But the Cee Baileys is a bit wider than the OEM and Windbender, which compensates for the loss in air flow and helps extend the bubble further, which reduces buffeting.

I like both shields. I think the Cee Baileys has a better optical quality, but now the Windbender uses a new vendor and supposedly the overall quality is much better than the one I have.

In some respects, the Windbender does seem to do a slightly better job of reducing the buffeting, and the additional adjustability is also a big plus. Though I wish the price was a bit more competitive. The Cee Baileys has a definite price advantage.

I have put about 20K miles on both windsheilds now. I currently have the Cee Baileys on the bike, but am getting ready to put the Windbender back on in hopes of trying out the new electric version.

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
If you really wanted to make the ideal windsheild, you could cut the bottom half of the Cee Baileys shield off, and install the remaining top portion on the adjustable Windbender base. This would give the best of both worlds, with the increase airflow from the seperation of the dual panels from the Windbender base, and the extra width of the Cee Baileys.

But then you would have to buy two windsheilds.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Adjustability

I have what my dealer told me is a Tulsa. It IS adjustable, the same as the stock shield. I watched them install it and it has the same cutouts for adjustability as the stocker.

Could it be that I DON'T have a Tulsa?

At any rate, whatever it is, it adjusts-I just did it the other day-raised it cause I got caught in the rain.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think my Wind Bender is great! My bride and I put almost 19,000 miles on it last summer. I got the Smoke HP because I like the looks. I like it all the way down in the lowest position for around town. It even works great in that position when Im alone on the bike and out for a day trip. NO buffeting. If you held your hand directly behind the wind shield and raised your hand slowly above the shield, the wind wouldnt hit your hand until about 6 1/2 inches above the top edge. From there, the wind seems to arch above you. When riding two up, my bride enjoys the shield raised to about half way. The buffeting issue at that point is no problem for her and this still allows me to look over the top edge.

I had a Tulsa on my 1500. It was also a great windshield but when I got the 03 1800 I realized how much I liked looking over the shield instead of through it so I went with the Wind Bender. I havent looked into the electronics available to raise and lower it but suspect that I would like that feature. I have raised the WB on the fly by the GW's lever release...I know, thats probably not a good idea, but it can be done.

The Picture below is a friends candy red 03 with a stock windshield and my candy red 03 with the smoke WB. We are near the Grand Tetons.
The other picture is a Fathers Day weekend ride to the Dakotas and Wyoming. I can e-mail you a larger photo if you like.

Enjoy!
Mike Swecker
Burnsville, MN

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Re: Adjustability

Uncle Harry said:
I have what my dealer told me is a Tulsa. It IS adjustable, the same as the stock shield. I watched them install it and it has the same cutouts for adjustability as the stocker.

Could it be that I DON'T have a Tulsa?

At any rate, whatever it is, it adjusts-I just did it the other day-raised it cause I got caught in the rain.
Doesn't Slipstreamer make a shield that resembles a Tulsa?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Uncle Harry,
IT IS NOT A TULSA!!! They "lied" to you and the distributor they got it from probably lied to them. What ever they charged you, it was TOO much for a counterfiet fake. If they doubt it have them give me a call.
NONE of our windshields are adjustable.
slipstreamer sells a "cheap" copy and even call it a "tulsa" through some of their distributors, if that gives you any idea of what kind of "quality" you get with them.
If you have any questions give me a call.
Allen/Tulsa

1 - 20 of 21 Posts