GL1800Riders Forums banner

Best Winter Storage Procedure

3K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  R.K. MA.3 George 
#1 ·
After much trial and error, I have found the BEST way to store a Gold Wing for the winter.

Step One: Fill tank with premium fuel--it is more stable than regular gas.
Step Two: Fill tires to max pressure, check oil and other fluids--top off if necessary
Step Three: Park bike somewhere handy--you'll want quick access later.
Step Four: Plug in trickle charger to bike--so the battery is always ready to go.
Step Five: Watch weather for nice day--check daily for best results.
Step Six: Ride any day the roads are clear and the temperature is over 40-degrees.

That's it. Use this procedure and you'll ride more and the bike will last longer.

Helmet Motorcycle helmet Personal protective equipment Shoe

Keep your helmet and gloves handy--warm riding pants and Gerbing jacket highly recommended. More playful tips at FearlessRiding.com.

See less See more
#4 ·
I've never stored mine either. I do Steps 1-3 and 5 year round (except use regular fuel). I don't own a trickle charger or battery maintainer (snake oil) and I'm still on my stock battery. And only over 40 degrees? LOL! Use Gerbings and then really ride more! :thumbup:

#5 ·
I Know at least a bit of that was tongue in cheek, but it is good if the bike is ridden on a regular basis, but if it will be stored for some time, I would recommend changing the oil as part of the "put away" procedure. Old oil can cause corrosion in the crankcase. But if you ride regularly, then just follow your regular oil change routine.

Also, since the OP is looking to ride on a regular basis I would not inflate the tires to Maximum pressure. There really is no need to do that. tires don't get permanent flat spots, and inflating to max pressure in early winter can lead to over pressure in warmer spring, and you don't want to ride at max pressure anyway, just inflate to proper pressure, and check before riding as usual.

#7 ·
All I do is put a motorcycle cover on if it looks like more than a month sitting to keep excess dust off. Otherwise it just sits and when time to ride comes, just push the starter and it starts right up. I know most guys swear by a battery maintainer, but I've had much longer battery life when I don't use one, so I don't. Goldwing never shows any hint of a weak battery even after sitting 6 or 8 weeks.

#8 ·
For as long as I can remember, I just put a bike in the garage (usually around late Nov or early Dec), put a battery tender (or trickle charger) on it for some time intervals, sprinkle some mothballs underneath, wait for riding weather (Apr) and hose off the dust when I get it out.

#9 ·
why do you store you bike? I live in snow country but mine is sitting in the driveway tonight with its cover on it. When we get snow I put it in the garage for a couple days. I own a battery tender but I can't remember where it is.

You live everyday, you only die once.
live today like that one day is near

#10 ·
Best way to store your Wing is to ride it to my place here in Houston.
Fly home.
I'll ride it for you at least twice a week unless the weather is cold....like 40.
Then, I'll ride it 3 times a week until it gets to...say 85. Should be around 40 by that time where you're from.
Then, fly back here.
I'll come get you from the airport and you can ride it home.
I'll even ride part way back with you...unless it's over 100.
You're on your own after that.

Best Regards.

#12 ·
After much trial and error, I have found the BEST way to store a Gold Wing for the winter.

Step One: Fill tank with premium fuel--it is more stable than regular gas.
Step Two: Fill tires to max pressure, check oil and other fluids--top off if necessary
Step Three: Park bike somewhere handy--you'll want quick access later.
Step Four: Plug in trickle charger to bike--so the battery is always ready to go.
Step Five: Watch weather for nice day--check daily for best results.
Step Six: Ride any day the roads are clear and the temperature is over 40-degrees.

That's it. Use this procedure and you'll ride more and the bike will last longer.
Not only is this goofier than heck if it was meant to be helpful it should have been posted at least 3 months ago. I swear--cabin fever must be driving people over the edge. :lol:

"park bike somewhere handy--you'll want to access later"--Jeebus--thanks for letting me in on that nugget of wisdom. I left my bike parked at the grocery store in October thinking I'd be going back for beer by Spring. :lol:

#14 ·
Step One: Park bike somewhere handy--you'll want quick access later.
Step Two: Ride any day the roads are clear and the temperature is over 40 degrees.

Step Three: Repeat steps one and two.

Why "winterize" when you can ride?

#15 ·
First day of Spring is March 20. Gonna be, supposedly, 60 degrees here on Saturday and 65 for Sunday. I wanna ride, I wanna ride, I wanna ride. Day Lignt Savings Time resumes at 12:01AM Sunday. That trickles my charge.

prs

#16 ·
Why would "premium" fuel be any better than "regular" fuel ?

Maybe if you could find some 100% gasoline instead of that gasoline/ethanol mix.

Adding fuel stabilizer to the tank would be a good idea, even if you're using 100% gasoline.

#17 ·
Modified

1) plug the wing into battery tender

2) ride FJR

3) every couple of weeks, feel guilty about not riding wing

4) rotate bikes and skip the battery tender on the FJR because you already know step 7 is coming

5) ride wing

6) remind yourself that guilt is a waste of energy, and not as much fun as... Fun

7) rotate bikes and plug the wing into battery tender

8) ride FJR

Repeat as often as you want. Or when SWMBO want to go for a ride (on the wing).

Enjoy!

#18 ·
why do you store you bike? I live in snow country but mine is sitting in the driveway tonight with its cover on it. When we get snow I put it in the garage for a couple days. I own a battery tender but I can't remember where it is.

You live everyday, you only die once.
live today like that one day is near

One word; SALT!

#22 ·
the ice melt used here is not salt and
they don't use sand here.
I win
They use ice melt? Hey, I've been in Nebraska a lot. It's one of my favorite places to ride. ... and we hunt there. Near Valentine..... but every time I get caught in snow, it seems that they put nothing down. Of course, we are in the sand hills area. ;)

Just ribbing you. :lol:

#25 ·
Just cover bike.shovel off snow as necessary.i did the snow today,windshield was bent from the weight.removed snow and windshield straightened itself
I know this fella.... He is NOT lieing !!!!
I have seen his bike covered with snow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.