GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After only 3500 miles or light riding, I have to once again replace my rear tire. I was set to buy a Kumho RF, but I discovered that the Kumho ECSTA XRP is a summer tire. I ride year round. So... Without a flame war, which CT is the best year-round run-flat to put on the rear of my wing? I will respect all opinions and will appreciate an explanation why you think your offering is the best.

Thanks.

·
Registered
973 Posts
At the risk of sounding condescending let me say that you should look for an All-Season tire. They make them in run-flat if you prefer. If you are not interested in a run-flat then any 195/55R16, 195/60R16, 205/55R16 or 205/60R16 All-Season radial will work.
MM

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I didn't use the correct terminology, but yes, I am looking for an all-season tire.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Since you live in the Bay Area, you won't need to be concerned with snow, ice or frozen roads.
The Kumho is great in the rain!

·
Registered
19,161 Posts

·
IronMan
17,672 Posts
some guys run goodyear triple t i think its called get like 40,000 miles on it check out ds forum n see if listed

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
some guys run goodyear triple t i think its called get like 40,000 miles on it check out ds forum n see if listed
But it's a 205, not a 195 if that makes a difference to you!

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
run the Kumho... you be fine...

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all. I did not understand that the "Summer" rating had to do with ice and snow. I thought the tire had different traction in cool/cold weather. I'm placing the tire on order in the next few days and ordering my darkside decal as well.

Now what about those cookies???
:shrug:

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm debating the same, I do try to avoid the ice & snow.
But I often ride in below freezing temps & below 20 on occasion.
I've had good luck w/ conti, but always looking for better.
Looks like the kumho is king, I like looks of this Michelin Primacy.
Any insight?
Sounds like getting a 2nd wheel would be ideal.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
common misconcrption

A common misconception is that a winter tire, due to the softer compound, provides great traction year-round. Not true.

Winter tires are great in winter. It's what they are designed for - snow and ice. Not so great the rest of the year. Does that mean they can't be used?? Of course not, just like summer or all season supposedly can't be used in the winter. Just understand the strengths and weaknesses of what you are using, and don't go by "what sounds good or seems like a good idea" school of thinking.

Here's a study of the different types of tires (or tyres for our British friends). Worth the read - and may help you determine your next tire for your cage or your bike. I personally went with the Kumho RF, as I don't intend to ride in snow. Works for me, ymmv.

http://www.insideline.com/features/t...vs-summer.html

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks, will read that Before making up my mind
I wouldn't do a winter tyre unless I get 2 wheels to swap come winter time.
I get an average of 76 days below freezing.
There are just so many nice choices in summer tyres

In comparing conti vs kumho I see 2lb weight adv to conti, which I like.

Everyone seems to like the kumho,
looks like the Michelin Primacy may be the sweet spot in the middle??

A common misconception is that a winter tire, due to the softer compound, provides great traction year-round. Not true.

Winter tires are great in winter. It's what they are designed for - snow and ice. Not so great the rest of the year. Does that mean they can't be used?? Of course not, just like summer or all season supposedly can't be used in the winter. Just understand the strengths and weaknesses of what you are using, and don't go by "what sounds good or seems like a good idea" school of thinking.

Here's a study of the different types of tires (or tyres for our British friends). Worth the read - and may help you determine your next tire for your cage or your bike. I personally went with the Kumho RF, as I don't intend to ride in snow. Works for me, ymmv.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I have over 7K on the Michelin Primacy running both interstate and back roads (mostly backroads) in the heat and rain and so far, I have had no problems. Heck, I think the tire brings on the rain, seems like every time I go somewhere, I get wet!:wrong: But.........I still consider myself "new" to the Darkside, so that and 4.95 will get you a cup of Starbucks! LOL

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
I have ran the Dunlop winter sport run flat in the summer here in Wi. Average 80 degrees I suppose . I have pushed that tire as hard as any of my favorite tires in dry and in the rain. On dry pavement I did get ot to slip a few times in the rain never once . Bit I will tell you this below 32 degrees the Dunnie is the ticket for traction compared to Kumho run flat ,Falken nrf and Hankook NRF. Next winter tire for me is Michelin or Rockets almost world famous sunny. If I go to Texas yet this year I am running Dunnie down there to wear it out, I am bored with it ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
826 Posts
all 'round tire

I have now about 130K miles on CT's. I use only RF CT's for a good reason,'nuff said on that.
Tire manufactures make summer , all season and winter tires, must be a reason for that. I run a Kumho in the summer and Michelin Alpin snow tire in the winter, have spare rims and so its easy to swap. I have used snow/winter tires in the summer and they work just fine, especially the Michelin alpin. But in the cold, 32F and below and in the wet and snow and slush, I want all the edge I can get and the Michelin alpin is my choice for those conditions. Everyone to his own taste, said the old lady as she kissed the cow.
Andy:joke:

·
Registered
4,799 Posts

Thanks for the link.

After yesterday's event in the east, there might be folks wondering which tire to use in Earthquakes!
Here on the Left Coast we have an answer for that:

"Do your own thing."

My Kumho works fine in earthquakes. :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts