GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 549 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beverly - S&W Winger down Updated 2/7

This is not the type of post I would like to be making but I think the board members would like to know.

I just got a call from Rene, a friend of Beverly's. She said that Bev went down on her way home from the Brooksville lunch ride. Rene had no details on what happened other than a location for the accident which was a curve near the intersection of 98 and 172.

Now the bad part. Rene reports that Bev has a broken back and will probably be paralyzed from the waist down. This is in addition to a broken shoulder, 2 broken ribs and a punctured lung. As many of you know, Bev just got over pneumonia which resulted in a collapsed lung.

Bev is currently in Tampa General, obviously in very serious condition. Rene said she would give me a call when Bev is up for visitors so please don't go to the hospital until then. Rene also provided her email [email protected] so that Bev's friends can send her email via Rene.

As soon as I find out more I will post it here for Bev's friends.

Jeff

On the health side.

Chest surgery Sat. to fix the punctured lung.
Back surgery Sun. to remove L7-L9 and install what Rene called a "cage" in her back. This is, of course, the most serious and long lasting problem.
Elbow surgery yesterday to install metal plates and screws.
Shoulder surgery tomorrow for more screws and plates.

At this point Rene had to hang up because a Dr. had just come in to talk with her.

More info as it becomes available.

Jeff

Update 2/7
Here is the latest from Rene,

Hi Jeff,
Thanks so much for the email and wonderful suggestions. Beverly has not gained consciousness since the surgery's. Her eyes are open, but she is not there. She is also on a feeding tube. The doctors are saying she should have come out of this by now, but it is because she is so heavily sedated with the pain meds. The problem is when they try to cut back on the pain meds so she will be coherent and able to take commands, her blood pressure shoots sky high from the pain. They are working on finding the medium.
If you would like to have any cards sent to you and bring them on the 16th that would be great.
When she does become conscious that is a wonderful idea for her birthday to have everyone by the window (she is on the 5th floor), however, we will have to wait and see how she is so I don't really know what to tell you in order to plan it. Please tell everyone thanks so much for offering to make our home wheel chair friendly. Down the road we will take them up on it.

René

Update 2/8

Rene has returned home to take care of things there so there is nothing new from the hospital.

To see plans for Beverly's birthday here
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203428 and join in in any way you can.

Jeff

Update 2/11

Here is the latest from Rene, who has been home for several days taking care of things there.

Hi Jeff,
Just a quick update. I am at the hospital now and will be here until Tuesday next week. Beverly is getting a tiny bit more coherent but still really out of it. They took out the ventilator today and they are trying not to put in a trachea but they may have to. They are still having a problem with her BP,pain and breathing.
I told her everyone was asking about her from the board and so many people have emailed and care for her and she got the biggest smile. I have saved everyone's email and read them one by one to her as soon as she is better.
Are you still planning on coming for her birthday? I don't think they will be able to get her to a window with the way that she is by Monday on her birthday but I will keep you posted. Were you planning the ride on Monday or Sunday?

Rene

Update 2/12

Here is the latest from Rene. Some good and some not so good but we need to keep the faith and hope we start hearing more good news.

Hi Jeff,
She is still incoherent today, the good thing is they took off the ventilator and have not had to put the trachea in so far. They also removed her chest tubes. The bad news is that we can barely get a word out of her and she just stares at the ceiling and only sometime can I get her to make eye contact. It is god awful.

I am looking forward to seeing you Monday around noon. I will email you how to get to her room.

Rene

Update 2/14

Here is the latest from Rene.

Hi Jeff,
We were so happy yesterday. Beverly was off the vent and we were able to communicate with her for the first time. When we came in this morning, she is horrible. They are having a bad problem with her lungs and are going to have to insert the Trachea. She had to go back on the vent. She cannot communicate and is just sleeping all the time.
I really don't think she will know anything when you come Monday. You may want to come ahead of the group so that you can get your bearings of where she is and where they can safely go. I'm looking forward to seeing you Monday.

Rene

Update 2/15

Just got this from Rene.

Hi Jeff,
Beverly seems a little better today. They still have the vent in her and will for a few days. What an emotional roller coaster this has been. I have been staying with my brother in Dade City which is about an hour north of here. Tonight I will be staying in the room with Beverly and I am heading back to WPB tomorrow. Do you think there will be a lot of people coming tomorrow? What time do you expect to be here and the rest of the group?
There may be a possibility that I may need to head back to WPB before you get here, however, I will give you instructions on how to get to her room and advise them to let you in. It should not be a problem. Just let me know what the plan is. If you are here in Tampa tonight, let me know and you can come up to visit. Speak with you soon.

Rene

Jeff

Update 2/19

I apologize for the delay in updating but things have been hectic the last few days.

Our Birthday Bash went off very well. TJRANCH has posted pictures and as soon as I figure out my software I'll get the video I shot out for folks to see that.

After all of us sang Happy Birthday to Beverly I gathered up all the pink flamingos and cards that everyone had and visited Beverly. She does not look good with tubes in nose and mouth but did wake up while I was lining her window sill with flamingos. She was tracking me with her eyes and tried to answer me when I talked to her. I told her to shut up so she wouldn't hurt herself, AND SHE LISTENED! That is probably a first for her.;)

I talked to her for a few minutes and she seemed to be understanding what I was saying and did some eye blinking to respond. Also tried to get her hand out from the bedding to hold hands, or maybe smack me, not sure which.

When I told her that she was going to owe me free lunches for a long time for not taking her picture and posting it on the forum, I got a big smile. Beverly is still there, although it will be a long time before she makes any lunch runs with us.

Rene continues to express her thanks for everything forum members have been doing for Beverly. Once Beverly is more alert, and off the respirator, Rene said she would pass on Beverly's mailing address and room number so folks could send cards or whatever.

As I hear more from Rene, I'll keep posting updates. One problem, this post has gotten so long that I have to delete earlier updates to add new ones so don't get confused if something is missing.

Jeff

·
Registered
809 Posts
Prayer's sent from Texas. Dear Lord please be with her and the doctors and staff that are caring for her. Please Bless her with a speedy recovery Amen!
Toolbox

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
That is really bad news.I'm wishing her the best.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Really bad news. I hope and pray for a speedy, full recovery.
Sincerely,
Alex

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Please keep us posted of her continuing conditions.

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
Bev is a fighter. she'll be back before you know it.

Thoughts and prayers for you Bev!!

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
So sad to hear post like this.

What would this board be without our friend?

We'll be thinking about you Beverly and prayers are on the way.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Very sad news for sure. She will be in my Prayers.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Hope the hospital has the best doctors for her condition. She's in my prayers......

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I wonder if this happened on the way to Brooksville because she never showed up. This is terrible. Please keep us updated. Godspeed Bev!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Holy sh_t. What terrible news and THANK YOU for posting this. I was surprised not to see any of Bev's banter after the ride and never dreamt this would have been why. OMG....

PLEASE keep us posted so we don't inundate her or her family/friends with inquiries.

When the time is right perhaps we can collect some $ and send some flowers or something...but this is going to potentially need our long term support and wishes.

Please, everyone...pray if you believe and think positive thoughts if you don't. Bev needs us.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
This is sad news..My thoughts and Prayers go out to Bev and her family as she goes through this ordeal...May our good Lord see fit that our Bev has a full recovery.

1 - 20 of 549 Posts