GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did my 4000 mile service, changing oil and checking fluids on my 2020 DCT Tour. I also checked the oil in my final drive gearbox which isn't part of the service. Low and behold, very little oil came out (maybe 2 oz). The Gearbox holds approx. 6 oz. The very same thing was also with my 2018 DCT Tour. So you may want to check it.

·
Love The DCT
11,589 Posts
Final drive oil capacity after draining is 4.7 ounces. Capacity after disassembly is 5.4 ounces.

·
Registered
52 Posts
This was an issue when I bought my F6B in 2015 and also with my 2019 Tour. I added 2oz to my tour to get to right capacity. I was amazed this has not been addressed by Honda.

·
Love The DCT
11,589 Posts
This was an issue when I bought my F6B in 2015 and also with my 2019 Tour. I added 2oz to my tour to get to right capacity. I was amazed this has not been addressed by Honda.
It’s a dealership problem. Checking the final drive oil level is one of many items to be checked on the Pre Delivery Service and Inspection checklist. (PDI)

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Yupp, agree with previous posters my 2018 DCT Tour had about 2 oz:mad:.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just did my 4000 mile service, changing oil and checking fluids on my 2020 DCT Tour. I also checked the oil in my final drive gearbox which isn't part of the service. Low and behold, very little oil came out (maybe 2 oz). The Gearbox holds approx. 6 oz. The very same thing was also with my 2018 DCT Tour. So you may want to check it.
Knowing this has been an issue with gen 5 late model years I specifically confirmed that final drive oil was inspected and confirmed correct levels before taking delivery of my 2020.

Thanks for the great reminder though.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Like everything else in life for the most part, check things yourself and don't rely or believe others have done your own checks. Dealers don't even know or care the rear drive needs oil for the most part. All they care is sales.

·
Registered
18,862 Posts
My dealer told me he always checks the chains and sprockets and makes sure the chain is properly lubed.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
845 Posts
I checked mine when I first got the bike and oil came out as I removed the fill plug, so I put it back on figuring it was ok.
At 4,000 when I went to change it, I only got maybe 2 - 3 oz out of it. Very strange. I had no leaks either.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
My dealer told me he always checks the chains and sprockets and makes sure the chain is properly lubed.

:rolleyes:
And there is the issue..... No chain and no sprockets to check; thus nothing to do back there..... I think my 2018 was not that bad when I checked it; but it was not anything I would call full.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I checked my 2018 Tour today. I was able to dip my little finger in the oil but decided to see how much I could get in before it was completely full. I’d guess I got over an extra ounce before it overflowed. Mine was bought new about 6 months ago.

·
Registered
7,385 Posts
If the wheel has been turned recently (like if the bike was rolled into place before checking) it's easy to thin it's lower than it is.
Gear oil is slow to drain back off the ring gear and housing.

Overfilling because of insufficient drain back time isn't good either.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for this thread. I checked mine and it was quite low. I would guess it was 2 or 3 once low. Filled until overflowing and capped it when the oil stopped coming out. Bike was upright on the motorcycle table lift so I know I had that right.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Apparently it doesn't need more than the 2 oz. they put in it. I changed mine yesterday with 25,000 miles on it and there was about 2 oz. come out. There doesn't seem to be any problem. It has run just fine, and looks just fine. As long as there is enough oil for the gears to keep lubed, it probably doesn't know the difference. It did take the approx 5 oz. to fill it. However, it doesn't seem to be any worse for the wear. ;) :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
314 Posts
What does the service manual call for in terms of filling/capacity?

·
Registered
313 Posts
What does the service manual call for in terms of filling/capacity?
4.7 US Ounces after draining. Replace on 3 year interval.

Although it lists that quantity, it say to fill until the oil reaches the lower end of the filling port.

I wonder how long people have been letting it drain? When I reach 3 years, I might just remove the plug in the evening and wait until the next morning to fill it. That way all the oil can drip out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts