GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am posting this so our members can be aware that scams can and do originate here on this forum.

I posted in the "wanted section" that I was looking for a Bushtec Garmet Bag . A couple of days later I received a message from Kroos23 .His post stated this : " You can try Gene Morgan,he has a Bushtec Garmet Bag he wants to part with.Here's his email robgm365 @gmail.com
Goodluck..." . I contacted this man by email . He said he had a Bushtec Garmet Bag and would sell it for $180.00 including shipping. I declined and stated that I could buy a new Garmet Bag from Bushtec for $160.00 . He then emailed me back saying he just wants this out of his house and I could name my price. I began to smell a rat somewhere. I looked up the name Kroos23 on the forum. It stated Koors23 has been a member since September 2019 but had "0" post . I decided to play along for awhile to see what would happen next. I emailed "robgm365 " back and said I would give him $65.00 if he would ship it free. He said "ok" I then ask how I could pay him and if he had a PayPal account. He said he did not have an account but his son did and he gave me his son's telephone number which was in Ch. There was no answer. He told me to send as a gift so he could get his money right away without any holdup from PayPal. I told him I could just drop my and pick it up. He said he lived in Oregon . I said that's great , I will be coming through there on my way to Alaska and would stop by his home and pick it up there and give him cash. He said that's ok ,but he is a truck driver and may or may not be home . I said that's ok as I have friends from the forum that live in the area and could come by bring cash , pick up the Garmet Bag and have it ready for me when I come through the area . I said he could give me his phone number so they could call to make sure he is home before they come over to his house. So far he has not answered with another tall tail of why he would not be able to do that. The saga continues . >:) The moral to this story is make sure the one who answers your add has many post and a solid reputation among the members . Check everything out before sending any money through PayPal . Period. Scammers are everywhere , even on this Forum.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I’m amazed at the number of “scam” reports we take as police in a very nice small city with a relatively high income per capita. Mostly what we have ran into is phone scams, which generally are coming from abroad. It seems some people, probably more than we know, make a living if ripping others off.

Good on you for catching it!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Hum..... interesting. I also have a listing in WTB. I received the exact same message(referencing a GPS mount). I also sent an email to the Gmail account, and received the reply "its sold out srir". Never thought twice about it. Hope I haven't opened a can of worms?? To be continued(?)... B.

·
Administrator
517 Posts
We permanently ban scammers and spammers as fast as they are discovered. However, members still must be vigilant when responding to items for sale or inquires regarding WTB items. This is especially true when responding to a for sale ad that is made by a person who just joined the board and within minutes, their very first post on the board is offering a high buck item for sale.

If something looks suspicious, please let us mods know.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yoda, I am with your power company, it seems as if your electric bill is in arrears. We need you to purchase a Visa Gift card for $1276.98 to cover your bill. Please send to P.O. Box 1234, Anywhere, Illinois. 60625 or we will be forced to shut off your power.

Reactions: Glockjock

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yoda, I am with your power company, it seems as if your electric bill is in arrears. We need you to purchase a Visa Gift card for $1276.98 to cover your bill. Please send to P.O. Box 1234, Anywhere, Illinois. 60625 or we will be forced to shut off your power.
I received a phone call a couple of days ago saying that my Microsoft subscription had expired and I would no longer be able to use my computer unless I acted quickly and pay for the remaining balance . Seems like I just can't get every thing paid up . I don't want to loose my ability to use this Forum .What about my Motorcycle privilege card that's getting ready to expire. Perhaps I will start a Go Fund me page so I can purchase all the Visa cards I will be needing. >:)

·
Registered
772 Posts
I am posting this so our members can be aware that scams can and do originate here on this forum.

I posted in the "wanted section" that I was looking for a Bushtec Garmet Bag . A couple of days later I received a message from Kroos23 .His post stated this : " You can try Gene Morgan,he has a Bushtec Garmet Bag he wants to part with.Here's his email robgm365 @gmail.com
Goodluck..." . I contacted this man by email . He said he had a Bushtec Garmet Bag and would sell it for $180.00 including shipping. I declined and stated that I could buy a new Garmet Bag from Bushtec for $160.00 . He then emailed me back saying he just wants this out of his house and I could name my price. I began to smell a rat somewhere. I looked up the name Kroos23 on the forum. It stated Koors23 has been a member since September 2019 but had "0" post . I decided to play along for awhile to see what would happen next. I emailed "robgm365 " back and said I would give him $65.00 if he would ship it free. He said "ok" I then ask how I could pay him and if he had a PayPal account. He said he did not have an account but his son did and he gave me his son's telephone number which was in Ch. There was no answer. He told me to send as a gift so he could get his money right away without any holdup from PayPal. I told him I could just drop my and pick it up. He said he lived in Oregon . I said that's great , I will be coming through there on my way to Alaska and would stop by his home and pick it up there and give him cash. He said that's ok ,but he is a truck driver and may or may not be home . I said that's ok as I have friends from the forum that live in the area and could come by bring cash , pick up the Garmet Bag and have it ready for me when I come through the area . I said he could give me his phone number so they could call to make sure he is home before they come over to his house. So far he has not answered with another tall tail of why he would not be able to do that. The saga continues . >:) The moral to this story is make sure the one who answers your add has many post and a solid reputation among the members . Check everything out before sending any money through PayPal . Period. Scammers are everywhere , even on this Forum.
Thank you for posting this, I as well received a pm yesterday morning about a WTB thread I have on this forum. The message was very similar to the one you received, see below

You can try Gene Morgan,he has a 2018 Goldwing front wheelhe wants to part with.Here's his email genem365 @gmail.com
Goodluck...

I didn't think much of it, but seeing your post, definitely sounds fishy. The pm I received was from the same name kroos23

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for posting this, I as well received a pm yesterday morning about a WTB thread I have on this forum. The message was very similar to the one you received, see below

You can try Gene Morgan,he has a 2018 Goldwing front wheelhe wants to part with.Here's his email genem365 @gmail.com
Goodluck...

I didn't think much of it, but seeing your post, definitely sounds fishy. The pm I received was from the same name kroos23
Yep , seems like Gene Morgan has a lot of things he wants to get rid of and at a good price. :eek:4:>:)

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Not easy to get paid anymore when you sell either. I thought certified bank checks were safe. They are not. You can receive the check, verify with the institution that it is legitimate and the sender can still stop payment on that check days later. I spent over an hour with a manager at my credit union discussing what is the purpose of a certified bank check then? I think a bank wire transfer is the only safe method left other than cash. When I sold my trailer I just told the guy, you are going to need to trust me. You wire the cash, I verify it is in my account and the transaction cannot be reversed, then I will sign the trailer title and you can pick up the trailer. If anyone has another safe way of doing it, I would like to know what it is.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yeah, it's sad to have to deal with this king of thing but it's a real problem. I was selling my Harley and a bunch of guys came by to look at it. They said they wanted it and would get the cash. I said we would meet at the bank and the staff there would count and confirm the money. I waited for 2 hours and they never showed plus the phone number that had worked when they said they were on their way was disconnected when I tried to call back. If I had said to meet at my house, I would probably be without money or a bike, or worse. There were 7 of them that came to look at it originally. Not sure what other trouble they would have caused but glad I didn't get burned on that one.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
The biggest problem that this type of crime causes is that it costs so much money to the average consumer that you never see.
By that, I mean how much it costs ME or YOU because we by bikes by trading in our old ones on new ones from a DEALER. WE know at the dealer there will be an honest business transaction. But we pay a REAL premium for that safety.

In addition, it takes away the advantage of being able to do a deal very far outside of your home radius. For instance, me on the East Cast would be hard-pressed to do business with a West Coast buyer/seller, because it can't be done in person...well, not easily or inexpensively anyway.

I don't know what the punishment is for crimes like these, but if it's anything short of LIFE IMPRISONMENT, it isn't long enough!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Another type of scam a friend just went through. Bought an expensive ($3000) camera off of EBay. The seller had good ratings. Used Paypal and figured their "Buyers Protection" policy would cover him if anything went wrong. The seller created a Fedex shipment to my friends address, then changed the address on the Fedex label to a busy pizza joint (but left the tracking bar code), and sent an empty box to the pizza place using the modified Fedex label. The pizza joint signed for the empty box. Fedex notified my friend that the Camera was delivered to his house and signed for, but of course no camera was delivered to him. When he complained to Fedex, Ebay and Paypal, everyone said "Package was delivered to your address and signed for" its out of our hands. Using the Fedex signature which thankfully he could read and some google searching he was able to locate the pizza place that the empty box was delivered to. He drove their and told them the story and they still had the empty box and gave it him. He took photos of the bogus label and sent it to everyone and Fedex, Ebay and Paypal STILL refused to refund his money...saying "the package was signed for" its out of our hands even though my friend had 1st hand proof of the scam. It wasn't until he got the police involved who started making phone calls on his behalf, that Ebay refunded his money!

I will probably never buy anything from Ebay or using Paypal as I can get scammed and they do not give a ****.

Reactions: Drair
1 - 20 of 29 Posts