GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Mackinac Bridge Authority has the two southbound lanes of the bridge closed for resurfacing until late June. The northbound lanes are now two way and the crossover back to the southern lanes at the Mackinaw City side can be a potential disaster for motorcyclists. There is a concrete divider with a 1-2" lip between the north and south lanes. As of Saturday (April 25th, ) it had not been removed so crossing back to the southbound lanes of I75 will require caution since there is very little room to get perpendicular to the lip before crossing.

Bill

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thanks for posting. That metal grate is tough enough by itself.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Thanks for the update.
I love the feeling I get when The Bridge
comes into view..the anticipation.
Looking through the grating and seeing
the blue water below. Then when getting
to the North side...everything seems to slow down.
Can't wait for the first trip this year.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks for that info Bill. Do you know of any other work that they are doing on the Big Mack? We'll be going over the bridge around July 11 th with trailers and was just wondering if it would be a problem,or do you think we should reroute that part of our trip?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks for the update. My in-laws live in the UP so we go 4-5 times during the summer. I HATE the grate. Cannot stand the way the bike feels on that thing. Pucker big time while riding on the grate.

Otherwise always love the view!

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Thanks for the update. My in-laws live in the UP so we go 4-5 times during the summer. I HATE the grate. Cannot stand the way the bike feels on that thing. Pucker big time while riding on the grate.

Otherwise always love the view!
Mike, A change in your front tire may make a BIG difference on grates. Any tire with a continuous center rib (or groove) try to follow the grating, Dunlop D250's are one of the worst!!!! A tread pattern with no center groove does much better. Such as Avon (my favorite), Dunlop E3, Metzler etc. Also release the death grip and relax a bit and you will find you have better control and less stress crossing on the grating.;)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that info Bill. Do you know of any other work that they are doing on the Big Mack? We'll be going over the bridge around July 11 th with trailers and was just wondering if it would be a problem,or do you think we should reroute that part of our trip?
Mr.Y,
The bridge will be back to 4 lanes by the weekend of June27th (car show in St. Ignace), so don't worry about rerouting your trip. The only other maintenance I know of this year is the ongoing painting that will have an occasional lane closeure, but no more double lane closeures other than for the Labor Day bridge walk.
Enjoy your trip!!
Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts