GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend we rode part of the Trace from Hohenwald,Tn to the north end, I have never seen so many bicycles on one road. I understand that they have a right to be there as much as anyone, but this is my complaint, most of them were riding 2 or 3 wide and in some places they were scattered across both lanes, some were even stopped in the lane on their phones texting, taking pictures etc. Seems ther was little respect for everyone else. I try to not let things like this get to me, but this is just too much. We have a lot of bicycles on the mountain roads around where I live, but most of them atleast ride in single file and show some respect to other motorist. Maybe this is normal on this road :shrug:

·
Registered
476 Posts
We rode down the Trace a ways in June and saw some cyclist but they weren't doing the things you described. Most kept to the side of the road, the rest left plenty of room to get around. There was a higher concentration on the northern end of the Trace nearest Nashville. Noticed a lot of deer on the side of the road too, in the afternoon no less.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Seen this same thing too many times over the years. "They" seem to have "meets" or organized rides a few times a year (that may be what you experienced). If I'm coming up on them from the rear and they're 2, 3, or more wide in my lane, I blow the horn a few times prior to getting close to them. As I get closer and if they tend to "posture", then I wait until I'm right next to them to blow my horn again. Keep in mind that I had air horns on my previous GL1500, and the GL1800 is as loud as needed. I always try to maintain a 3' margin for any pedestrian and bike rider that I'm about to pass. You are right about the "attitude"; or sense of entitlement; that a good many of them have. I pay for my license plates, my drivers license, my insurance, and my gasoline taxes which helps to ensure my "right" to ride legally on almost all of this country's roadways.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
You were probably a witness to an organized ride of some sort. The Trace is a popular road for such things.

Mostly, I try to be respectful of these people because they do have a right to use the road. Motorists are often inconsiderate of them and I try to keep that in mind. I must admit that I have been annoyed enough on occasion to take some action. I have found that a continuous blast of the horn until they cease their thoughtless (and often illegal) behavior usually gets some action pretty quickly. It would certainly stop their cell phone conversations!

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
About six weeks ago, my Son was out riding with a couple of buddies on the Trace and they came up against a Park Policeman who had the road closed.

The officer explained that a car mag was doing a road test and they had about 5 miles closed. A few moments later a new corvette came screaming up and pulled up making a U turn. The officer spoke to the driver of the car and then came back to my Son, "Okay he's heading back, follow him and don't stop until to get to the other Officer on the other end".

My Son said they hauled a$$, following the Corvette, for about 5 miles. There were a couple of spots where he wanted to pass the Corvette, but thought better of it. On the other end was a transport with several more Corvettes. They stopped chatted for a while and then went on their way.

So one never knows quite what you will meet on the Trace.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Interesting dilema. IF bicyclists are considered pedistrians, then they have the right of way. If they are considered to be vehicle operators, then they have to follow the traffic codes. Riding two or three abreast in one lane is probably illegal if "vehicles", but pedistrains? Passing them, if they are a vehicle presents the same problem, you would need a clear passing lane. If they are pedestrians, then riding up to within 3' of them could be wreckless endangerment and heaven forbid you cause an accident. I am not certain, but I think WV considers bicyclists as pedestrians, but they are requeired to follow traffic rules.

prs

·
Registered
686 Posts
I believe that bicycles are considered to be vehicles in most jurisdictions. Technically this means they own the lane, though for self-preservation that is usually not a good move. I am sure some LEO forum members can enlighten us.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I'm not sure about the conditions on NT but can tell you why some Cyclists (Bicycle Riders) do ride several abreast on narrow roads.

In most states Bicycles have the Right to use Public Roadways and in most have to follow the similar Rules of the Road as Motor-Vehicle’s which operate there as a Privilege. Situations come up on some roads where there isn’t a shoulder or it is covered with Glass Shards, Sand and other Debris. In those conditions there simply isn’t enough room in the roadway for a Car or Truck passing in each direction along with a Bicycle so some group riders tend to “Stake Their Place” in their direction of travel to make it clear to Motor-Vehicles that there simply isn’t enough room for two cars and Bicycles.
Most that do this are more than aware that Cage Drivers simply don’t understand and try their best to ignore all the harassment they receive. Others will empty their Water Bottle through the same window the @%$! came out of.
If the Group Riders are educated in sharing the road in a Safe-n-Sane manner they will tend to make way for cars to pass as soon as the Road widens out or they can find a Clear Shoulder to go back to Single File.

Then there are the Cyclists that simply take up the whole lane because they can even if there is plenty of Safe Shoulder & or Lane Width for Single File riders. These Cyclists are in the Jerk category and many of them that I have ridden with in the past operate their Motor-Vehicles in the same inconsiderate manner.
The worst offenders in this category are Social Club riders who tend to have a very big Chip on their shoulders which is why I dropped several Club Memberships over the years and refuse to encourage their “We Have The Right” attitudes by contributing my $$$ to them.

Back in the days when I was competing in Bicycle Racing, Velodrome & Road, the Racing Clubs, OTC and various Professional Training groups all used the “Stake Their Place” methods in various degrees with a clear understanding that the Group would make every effort to drop to Single File as soon as it was safe enough to let the cars pass with the Three Foot Safety margin.

From time to time I do come up on some of those so called “Organized Rides” that include groups of inconsiderate JERKS in which case I tend to use my Horn’s freely to get their attention.

All of this being said I have hung up 14 of my Road Bikes and invested in modern Long Travel Full Suspension Mountain Bikes and have much more fun on the Single Track than I ever did putting up with the various groups of Jerks who just didn’t have a clue both on Bicycles and in Motor-Vehicles.

So if you see a Yeller Wing with Sidecar and a Mountain Bike in the rack on the back that’s likely me headed to one of my favorite Single Tracks along the Colorado Front Range.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
This must be a bigger problem elsewhere, it seems there are groups of bicyclists doing this all over France, riding in huge groups....

It's been on TV every day getting National Media coverage.... You would think if the media knows where they are, the Police could do something about it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm not sure about the conditions on NT but can tell you why some Cyclists (Bicycle Riders) do ride several abreast on narrow roads.

In most states Bicycles have the Right to use Public Roadways and in most have to follow the similar Rules of the Road as Motor-Vehicle’s which operate there as a Privilege. Situations come up on some roads where there isn’t a shoulder or it is covered with Glass Shards, Sand and other Debris. In those conditions there simply isn’t enough room in the roadway for a Car or Truck passing in each direction along with a Bicycle so some group riders tend to “Stake Their Place” in their direction of travel to make it clear to Motor-Vehicles that there simply isn’t enough room for two cars and Bicycles.
Most that do this are more than aware that Cage Drivers simply don’t understand and try their best to ignore all the harassment they receive. Others will empty their Water Bottle through the same window the @%$! came out of.
If the Group Riders are educated in sharing the road in a Safe-n-Sane manner they will tend to make way for cars to pass as soon as the Road widens out or they can find a Clear Shoulder to go back to Single File.

Then there are the Cyclists that simply take up the whole lane because they can even if there is plenty of Safe Shoulder & or Lane Width for Single File riders. These Cyclists are in the Jerk category and many of them that I have ridden with in the past operate their Motor-Vehicles in the same inconsiderate manner.
The worst offenders in this category are Social Club riders who tend to have a very big Chip on their shoulders which is why I dropped several Club Memberships over the years and refuse to encourage their “We Have The Right” attitudes by contributing my $$$ to them.

Back in the days when I was competing in Bicycle Racing, Velodrome & Road, the Racing Clubs, OTC and various Professional Training groups all used the “Stake Their Place” methods in various degrees with a clear understanding that the Group would make every effort to drop to Single File as soon as it was safe enough to let the cars pass with the Three Foot Safety margin.

From time to time I do come up on some of those so called “Organized Rides” that include groups of inconsiderate JERKS in which case I tend to use my Horn’s freely to get their attention.

All of this being said I have hung up 14 of my Road Bikes and invested in modern Long Travel Full Suspension Mountain Bikes and have much more fun on the Single Track than I ever did putting up with the various groups of Jerks who just didn’t have a clue both on Bicycles and in Motor-Vehicles.

So if you see a Yeller Wing with Sidecar and a Mountain Bike in the rack on the back that’s likely me headed to one of my favorite Single Tracks along the Colorado Front Range.
Well-said. Years ago, I remember having a terse conversation with a NJ State Trooper regarding this issue. My 10 year old son and I were riding bicycles on a rural road. My son was riding along the right line and I was a bike-width out in the lane to protect him, be visible and to make cagers swing out around us. A trooper pulled us over and started to read us the riot act, saying we should be riding right of the right hand line in the berm (there was little room and lots of glass). I suggested respectfully that he he study the law on the matter -- that we had right to the roadway. He backed down and left us be. My son is now a LEO and still chuckles about that encounter.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
This must be a bigger problem elsewhere, it seems there are groups of bicyclists doing this all over France, riding in huge groups....

It's been on TV every day getting National Media coverage.... You would think if the media knows where they are, the Police could do something about it.

LMAO!!

Indeed (spoken as an avid bicyclist as well as motorcyclist) that was probably an organized ride. As such, they had police permission and protection, just like the Tour d' France. And, just like the organized group motorcyle riders obstructing traffic on many roads around where I live, they could have been more conscious of courtesy to other users of the road. I don't like this sense of entitlement stuff......whether exhibited by bicyclists, or group riding motorcyclists. There's room enough for everyone on the road, as long as a little patience and understanding is applied by all.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Swings both ways...

Full agree that bicycles have right to ride on the roadways, while following those "roadway" rules.
Problem I see, and have issue with, is the transfer from "road" to "pedestrian" mode at every intersection and opprotunity. Many will ride in the road way then at a red light jump onto the crosswalk to continue their direction of travel. When they reach the far side of the intersection they will jump back onto the roadway and resume roadway riding. Also many will not stop at red lights or stop signs if crossing traffic is clear. I have to "stop" fully or wait for the light to change; why don't they?
Somehow, I think there would be a big stink if M/C's operated that way. Just don't think they should have it both ways... Or, maybe as the old bumper sticker said: "If you don't like the way I drive, stay off of the sidewalk..."
My .02...YMMV

·
Registered
194 Posts
About six weeks ago, my Son was out riding with a couple of buddies on the Trace and they came up against a Park Policeman who had the road closed.

The officer explained that a car mag was doing a road test and they had about 5 miles closed. A few moments later a new corvette came screaming up and pulled up making a U turn. The officer spoke to the driver of the car and then came back to my Son, "Okay he's heading back, follow him and don't stop until to get to the other Officer on the other end".

My Son said they hauled a$$, following the Corvette, for about 5 miles. There were a couple of spots where he wanted to pass the Corvette, but thought better of it. On the other end was a transport with several more Corvettes. They stopped chatted for a while and then went on their way.

So one never knows quite what you will meet on the Trace.

WTF does this have to do with bicycles ??

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Nothing, but I thought it might be of interest to folks that ride the Trace.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts