GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to think about a 2015 trip down to Big Bend National park. Besides the great riding which I understand the park offers, we're also interested in perhaps a river rafting trip. Any suggestions about a river guide service and a MC friendly place to stay in the park.

TIA

Martin

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I made that trip several years ago with WimpyHonda. ( aka Lowell Sharpe) We stayed in Alpine which worked out pretty well. We left east Tennessee the last week of March
in cool weather. It was 100 degrees in Big Bend Np.while we were there. Have a safe trip.:cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Maybe better places

I made that trip several years ago with WimpyHonda. ( aka Lowell Sharpe) We stayed in Alpine which worked out pretty well. We left east Tennessee the last week of March
in cool weather. It was 100 degrees in Big Bend Np.while we were there. Have a safe trip.:cool::cool::cool:
I went to Big Bend two years ago. Unless you are riding off road, there are several better rides. The Texas hill country area is superior riding in my opinion. The wild flowers will be beautiful in April. The Black Hills area after or before August is spectacular riding. Colorado and upper New Mexico are great also. Even closer is Arkansas for twisties and history(Hot Springs). The Big Bend area is very short on accommodations, water and security. I never saw a river over 6" deep. As far as safety, make sure you keep a eye on your stuff while there.
We were there in early May and it was hot, dry and dirty! I was in the Midland Texas(West Texas) area last week and be prepared for sticker shock. Due to the oil boom in the area, Holiday Inn Express type hotel rates can be as high as $249 for a week night. Weekend rates are a little better $169. I don't know if this goes down to Big Bend or not but the Fort Stockton area was high when we were there two years ago.
Big Bend has a few nice views but not worth the ugly ride to get there in my opinion. Texas is a beautiful state full of great rides and the nicest people you will ever meet but Big Bend just isn't a trip I would ever do again. Any bike trip is a good trip but in 55 years of riding all trips have memories just some better than others, ride safe.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm starting to think about a 2015 trip down to Big Bend National park. Besides the great riding which I understand the park offers, we're also interested in perhaps a river rafting trip. Any suggestions about a river guide service and a MC friendly place to stay in the park.

TIA

Martin
Big Bend is a great place to ride. Take River Road from Lajatis to Persido, one of the most scenic roads in Texas. Go on to Fort Davis and stay at Indian Lodge and the go to the McDonald Observatory.
Far Flung Adventures offers good guide service for river rafting.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
When your time gets closer post it on the Texas forum. I would live out in Big Bend Area if I could. Most people don't like the wide open spaces and need a grocery store or a stop and go to be satisfied. Plenty of beautiful riding and many places to stay. around 89 to100 dollars a night. Let me know. I might give you a guided tour. Best time for raft trips is probably in September.

·
Registered
51 Posts
When your time gets closer post it on the Texas forum. I would live out in Big Bend Area if I could. Most people don't like the wide open spaces and need a grocery store or a stop and go to be satisfied. Plenty of beautiful riding and many places to stay. around 89 to100 dollars a night. Let me know. I might give you a guided tour. Best time for raft trips is probably in September.
+1

·
Registered
112 Posts
Turkey Got It Right

There is only one place to stay in the park, the Chisos Basin Lodge. It isn't cheap, and early reservations are recommended, very rustic. It is worth the stay. Some very tight switchbacks on the road up the mountain. Good restaurant and fantastic view. It will be 15 to 25 degrees cooler than the desert floor. Bear, mountain lions and deer abound. There are also javelina that will pop out in front of you. Several reasonable lodging locations in Study Butte/Terlingua. Lajitas has a resort that often has good deals on lodging. RR170 is one of the most scenic rides in the US. The Davis Mountains and McDonald Observatory are also spectacular. I'll be there with my riding partner in a couple of months.:thumbup:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Check out the Gage Hotel in Marathon if you like historic places. They have the best Chicken fried sirloin steak in the state. Don't miss the Marfa lights and inquire about attending a star party at the McDonald Observatory.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts