GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy and I got a Bug up our A$$e$ and looks like we Might head out friday from Elgin Texas and head out to Big Bend for a Long weekend. :D

·
Registered
583 Posts
We did Big Bend for the first time last spring. We had a ball. Big Bend is impressive. Have fun and try to keep the bugs out of your butt :?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Was going to ask on the "other" forum but who installed your tire Bug? I am about to buy a Khumo and hate having to start the search for someone to put it on the rim.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was going to ask on the "other" forum but who installed your tire Bug? I am about to buy a Khumo and hate having to start the search for someone to put it on the rim.
I did it myself.
Not recommended.
Its a Real PITA and my rim is now all scratched up.
Not that , that bothers me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Big Bend trip

You'll need more than a long weekend to see all of it. We've been there three times, and there's still stuff I haven't seen yet. And if you have the chance, swing by Marfa and check out the lights. Didn't see them on the first trip, DID on the second.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Had a great time. I'll let Bugs tell the lies. Photo opps(opportunity) you bet I enjoyed them all. Keep in mind everyone he likes to exaggerate things. :agree::rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WOW What a Ride.
Who ever said you need more than a Long weekend was right.
The ride out there was Pretty Cool . My buddy and I left Elgin around 8 am and headed to Austin to pick up his uncle. Then on to Johnson City to meet TBJ. Off to Fredricksburg and then south on 16 toward Kerrville. I forgot how beautiful that road was past Kerrville.
Road out 337 to Camp Wood then south to Del Rio. I did snap a shot at the Coyote Ranch where we had lunch.
At DelRio we turned up 90 to get up to Alpine.
I suggest Getting gas here if you go this way. The next fuel stop is well over 150 miles. This is ok for a Wing, but trikes and Harleys will be pushing it. We ended up getting to Alpine after dark. Bad Idea. There were more deer and Javalina than there were bugs on the front of my bike. Too much beer was drank that night, but it was fun.
The next morning we got going around 9 am. Headed south on 118 toward Study Butte. Get gas here. Instead of going into the park this day we decided to try 170 toward Presidio. This was an Awsome Choice. If you haven't done this road, Its a MUST SEE. The road is not a fast one because half the time you would top a Hill not knowing which way the road was going to go. Most of the time there weren't even signs to warn you . There is a Two Mile section near Presido that is dirt. Its rough but doable.
In the middle of this road we found a Rather interesting rock formation.
I named it TBJ Rock.
I climbed up on top and got this shot.

This road was Pretty much impossible to Take pictures while riding.
From here we headed to Presidio for Lunch.
After lunch we rode up to Marfa and filled up again. From here headedup to The Davis mountains for a ride around the loop. By the time we got back we had clocked some 322 miles. It was a Long day but absolutely georgous .
The next day we took off about the same time. This time we headed back down 118 to Study Butte for Gas and then into the park. We rode down to Santa Elena Canyon. Another must see. Hell its all a must see.

Then after a small hike to the canyon to look around we headed up to the Basin for Lunch. Got there just before 4 pm.
I didnt' get any pictures up there, but I did take a video but its not downloaded yet.
Since it was getting late we pasted on going to the other end of the park and headed back to Alpine up 385 through Marathon. On the way out we got a few more shots.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also Got to meet Rob. (rbertoia)
Great Guy, I'll ride with ya any day.
The picture in front of the Big Bend sign.
Richard (My Buddies Uncle) Rob (rbertoia), Rob (My Buddy) and me.
TBJ is the one on the Purple Trike.

After gettin back home I clocked 1800 miles.

My Buddy Rob's Bike lost the front cylinder on his Harley 30 miles west of Ozona. He road it one lunged to Ozona.
We put some new plugs in it, but that didnt' do anything.
So I gave him a ride on the wing 32 miles to Sodona to find a Uhaul. The only dealer there was closed because of some family thing.
So off to San Angelo another 65 miles and found a truck there.
Then we headed back to Ozona Via Hwy 67 I think . It was roughly another 65 miles back and in a 30 mile stretch I counted over 50 Dead Dear.
Don't ride this road at Night!!!!!!
We got him home and unloaded.
At least the bike lasted through the Fun part.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the pics.

Who's the guy on that dirty white thing?
Who Else :D
It must have been a good ride.
At last count I was up to 24 bugs per square inch on the front.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I told YOU he
exaggerates
things! Still had a blast. Good roads, cold beer and great
friends
That what it's all about!:thumbup::trike:
WHEN DO WE LEAVE AGAIN?????????????
WORK SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Enjoyed the pictures. One of these days I will make a long weekend up there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Big Bend

Tom
Great pics and narrative! What a trip! Let's do it again. Marfa lights next time! :thumbup:
Rob

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tom
Great pics and narrative! What a trip! Let's do it again. Marfa lights next time! :thumbup:
Rob
I'll Ride with ya Any Time Rob. More photo ops on the next one.
Think how scarey it would be watching the lights then Trying to get home in the dark. Hopefully those lights are aliens eating all the dear. They should All Die, But not in front of my wing.

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
Nice pix...

I've heard from others that's some gorgeous area down that way; thanks for sharing the pictures, Bug.

Another "place to ride" on the list - just need to string some days together to make that trip.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Need to get Toolboxjunky to post some pictures.
I was in the lead and Often came across a picture worth area but didn't have the time or extra hands to snap it. So I started Giving the guys behind me with Radios a Heads up. Often it was just a Moan or an Awwww or WOW!!!!
That road 118 from Alpine to Study Butte is Awsome. Everything from twisties to Flat out Haulin. 170 you just have to stay on your Toes the whole Time.
Santa Elena Canyon. Pictures do nothing for it. I don't know how tall that wall was But it's HUGE. In the picture of the canyon. Texas is on the right, Mexico on the left.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Fantastic, great photos!

1800 miles, whew, this redefines the concept of a long weekend road trip, for me anyway. Living in the Austin oasis, I tend to forget how much space there actually is around it. In the CA bay area, most anywhere you decide to ride to is 300 miles or less away, usually less.

I read a novel recently in which the locale was around Pecos. So as I like to do when reading, to get a visual I looked up a map and some photos of the area. Man, this is some barren and dusty terrain.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Big Bend

Next time try - no, do it - go to the McDonald Observatory for their show at night.
We are doing this ride in four day in later April. Did it in three last time and that wasn't enough.

Truthfully, I think it would take months to really explore this area. There are just so many "WOW"! spots.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Next time try - no, do it - go to the McDonald Observatory for their show at night.
We are doing this ride in four day in later April. Did it in three last time and that wasn't enough.

Truthfully, I think it would take months to really explore this area. There are just so many "WOW"! spots.

The only Problem I have with doing anything out there at Night are the Suicidal Deer and Hogs.
50 dead ones in a 30 mile stretch where Most of the time I could only count the ones on my side because the way the Ditch dipped sharply on the other side. But I bet it is cool to see. Plus the Marfa Lights.
Does Ranchhand Make a Front bumper for the Wing?

·
Registered
955 Posts
The only Problem I have with doing anything out there at Night are the Suicidal Deer and Hogs.
50 dead ones in a 30 mile stretch where Most of the time I could only count the ones on my side because the way the Ditch dipped sharply on the other side. But I bet it is cool to see. Plus the Marfa Lights.
Does Ranchhand Make a Front bumper for the Wing?
Baker Deer Wings.
I see a trend starting.

:coffee1:

-Dan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts