GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are planning a trip to the Big Bend area of Texas for the 3rd week in September.

Does anyone have any suggestions for budget conscious lodging in Fort Stockton and also Fort Davis? Appreciate input from anyone with recent experience in the area.

No bugs and clean sheets are a must...

Thanks for any help provided.

Stay safe,
Bret

·
Registered
507 Posts
We went through Fort Stockton this past March en route to New Mexico. I'm not sure there's any place there that I would like to stay.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Big Bend

Rode last year December with 4 buddies...we stayed in Camp Wood at a hole-in-the-wall for $43 on our way out. We decided to stay at the Chisos Mt. Lodge, pricey and almost did not stay but have no regrets after doing so. They have a resturant on site (good food), I lived in Presidio for 2 years and never made this part of the park.
In Ft. Davis we stayed (have to get you the name later) at a place that was small cabin/trailers and an awesome full breakfast the next morning. You can go to the fort davis chamber of commerce site to look up hotel/motels.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Alpine would be my choice. Puts you within short riding distance of Big Bend, Marfa, Davis Mountains. Cooler nights too although that time of year will still be pretty hot in the desert.

Last time through there, I stayed at the Maverick Inn. Nice place but kind of close to the RR track but didn't bother me too much. Some of the "cheap" places out there are pretty run down. Don't think I'd consider Fort Stockton, too far on the edge of the good riding.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Weather conditions forced me to stay in Ft. Stockton about 6 yrs. ago and it was without a doubt the worst place that I have ever stayed. Maybe things have changed for the better since then. :eek:4:

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Agree, not much to see there. The oil industry has a lot of the rooms in Fort Stockton consumed right now too.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
The Harvard HotelAn eight-room suite hotel located at 109 State Street in downtown Fort Davis. Each room offers a refrigerator, microwave, tv with dvd player, coffeepot, quality linens, pillow-top mattresses, internet access and more. Built in 2005, it is the newest hotel in town and also offers retail and office space on its lower level. Additional suite accommodations at the Harvard Lodge on the H.E. Sproul Ranch and Davis Mountain Jeep Tours can also be booked through the Hotel. Please visit www.harvardhotelandlodge.com or call 432-426-2500

My wife and I stayed here last year and it was top notch. Kind of exclusive with only 8 rooms, I guess you have to get your reservations in early. Around $85.00 if I remmber correctly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts