GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got one of these?

I just "inherited" one.

Man, what a pain to install the "removable" front section!
Three tiny screws to line up with 3 tiny holes in rear section.
Then side "wings" on front section that want to fit on the outside of the cowling.
But I want them to fit on the inside of the cowling.

Anyone out there who has some "tricks" or new cuss words I haven't tried yet to mount this thing?

Would appreciate suggestions.

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
On those 2 piece jobs there is no very quick way, but, if you first put those wings inside the cowl then get one of the bolts started the other two will line up. Fortunately it only needs to come off every eight thousand miles. And... There is a learning curve so it gets easier. :lol:

·
Registered
401 Posts
learning

A shorty screwdriver and reading glasses. They are still a pain to play with.
...gene

·
Registered
994 Posts
PM me for list of cuss words/phrases/sentences... ADMIN would banish me if I put it up on here...! I offer 35+ years in the Fire Service with extensive military exposure....!
Lots of words can be used as nouns, personal pro-nouns, adjectives, invectives and other fancy uses; don't be afraid to experiment. :thumbup:

Keep after the belly pan; I have a 2-piece but no idea if it's same brand as yours. Mine went on and the front piece drops off without a hitch. Painless... It's got several big dings/dents so something is beating it up. YMMV...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Been riding almost 50 years now without a bell pan. Do yourself a favor and sell it.
........been riding forty years and never needed one until last year. Hit a piece of scrap steel in the road at high speed.......hell of a racket, sliced front tire, great big gouge taken out of the belly pan which was placed on the bike by a previous owner. Figure it likely saved me a damaged block, but who really knows with 100% certainty?

All I know is that the belly pan I always wondered if I really needed seems to have saved the day......cheap insurance, I guess. Was the first thing I just put on my new to me 2013 - don't particularly like the way it looks but.............

Cheers and to each their own........

T.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I found similar issue fitting my belly pan from wingstuff, I had to remove the front cowl then take off from memory 2 bolts inside the side fairings near the front to then pull the sides out enough to get the pan to fit over the mounting bolts, was easy to install once i worked out how.

The instructions said it slid straight onto the bolts after you backed them off but there was no way the belly pan could slide under the side fairing as the bolts stuck out a little to far, seems different for each bike as i found reading through the comments on wingstuff, not there fault just each bike seems different :shrug:

·
Registered
900 Posts
I just line up the road-grime lines; seems to work pretty good. Get the nearest one in, then the center one and the final one is automatic. And push up a bit on the pan to narrow the gap between sheets so you can almost make out the hole.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I don't install the middle screw. Two screws hold it fine. I took tin snips and trimmed off the little wings on the removable piece.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
There is a learning curve to the installation process. I've even managed a time or two to not use ANY cuss words!!! A DRAMATIC improvement over the first few times!!

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
AND, like a previous poster, SOMETHING is beating the hell out of my belly pan! It is relatively cheap "insurance" to make sure nothing punctures your oil filter or coolant reservoir bottle when you are out in the middle of nowhere!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oops - my bad!

My belly ache about the belly pan installation should have read:

ADD ON BELLY PAN = BIG PAIN!

It is an ADD ON belly pan, not a BIG BIKE belly pan.

I finally got it on yesterday afternoon.

Think I will trim off the side wings, like someone suggested!

(Minimal cuss words involved.)

Thanks for the info., guys!

·
Registered
776 Posts
I don't know what brand mine is. I bought it in 2005 and was one of the first things on the bike to protect the coolant recovery tank.

It has been a while since I messed with mine other than changing the oil on Monday night.

Mine has a front piece with two screws that turn 1/4 and lock. When you put the screw in, and turn it 1/4 turn it will lock in place.

Now I have never had any problem with mine except the time I let someone else do the oil change and when I got home the bike was dripping oil, from them splashing it everywhere, and the front part of the belly pan wasn't even secured and if it wasn't for those "wings" that were under the cowling, it would have fell off on the freeway on the way home.
Anyway, mine somehow got all bent up and I had to take it off and fix the screw holes and get it all aligned up again.

Now since it is all correct again, when I changed the oil on Monday, it came off and went back on with no problems.

Other than supposedly protecting the coolant recovery tank, I would really have no need for it.

I guess it could be one of those things that you either like it or hate it.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Assuming you have the bigger part of the pan on already,, slip one side of the pan wing to the right side. You can then see where the screw attachement thingy is on the big pan. Stick the screw thru the hole on the right side, and into the attachment thingy. NOw go over on the left side of the bike and do the same thing. YO may have to bend it a bit, but it will slide in. Do the same with that screw as on the right side. The middle one will naturally line up.
This is my second Wing and no way would I be without a belly pan (just replace one oil filter in a parking lot out in boofoo and you will be a BELIEVER!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts