1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Ordered a set but they must be on backorder. Mine aren't suppose to ship until sometime next week. I'll post the results of the installation/use if no one else does.

·
Registered
20,952 Posts
Bigbike sure looks like a nice kit with everything being plug and play at a reasonable price,can't beat the price of dual star though.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I seriously have considered the Dual-Star. But for a little bit more than 2x the price of the Dual-Star, this is an OE style kit which is designed for the GL1800.

·
Registered
21 Posts
heated grips

I had a set of the Dual Star on my 98 SE. I had the leather grips on the bike and when I turned on the heat it took at least 20 minutes for the grips to heat up. I don't know if that was due to the fact of the leather grips or not, they might work better with the stock rubber ones, That is just my opion on the matter

·
Registered
891 Posts
Big Bike Parts stand by nutin

I don't have them,but you get what you pay for.I purchased the fender extender 20 bucks,had to drill 2 holes in my fender,and the POS hits the cowl,I called them and they said the cowl from the factory is installe wrong.The bike is a 04,and the cowl never been off.Tipical run around,I wish you luck my friend,but they may not work like you like. Even Direct Line wouldn't take them back.I will think twice next time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got these last week and the HDL dropped the price by $10 right after I bought them. The grips are nice and well made. The wires from the grips to the controller are not long enough. I wanted to mount the controller where the oem controller goes, so I had to splice some wiring in to get the grip wires ofer to there. Also, the controller is about a 1 1/2 inch square block that attaches with double stick tape. The wire from the controller runs out the side, so there is no way to hide it. I ended up sticking the controller right under the keyhole for the right fairing pocket and running the wire under the lower edge of the black area where the oem controller would have gone. The grips heat fine, but the controller is kinda ugly.

Don Braziel

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don-

Thanks for the review. Why they didn't include enough wire to reach the switch (where we all know the switch is supposed to go) is an obvious oversight. :eek:ops2:

Do you have a digital camera to take pictures of the controller, mounted on the bike?

Thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I too was a bit disappointed in what I received from HDL (and got ripped off for the extra ten bucks too). In fact I almost sent it back yesterday, when I got it. On further thought, though, I'm going to try installing it (I'll sure miss my ISO grips though!) and just not worry about buying just BEFORE the price dropped, again (seems to happen to me a lot when buying from HDL. Had I waited four extra days, my CB's (with antennas) would have cost me over a hundred dollars less, each!)

When I ordered it, I thought the controller would mount using the brake or clutch mount screws, but that mount in the picture is for mounting on tubing, maybe a handle bar of a different type bike, although the package says for GL1800. If HDL would ever get me the rest of my Texelent stuff I ordered a couple of months ago (missing the bar, and bar mounts. Got the stuff to mount TO the bar!), that would be a good place for this controller to mount. For now, maybe I can get by with a RAM mount of some sort.

For sure I need some kind of heated grips, my arthritis is causing me a bit of pain from having cold hands, and my Gerbing gloves seem to be taking forever to get here.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A friend of mine told me that this kit is identical to a kit that he saw packaged for snowmobiles.

So maybe they've taken an existing kit, and modified it just enough to use on the GL1800...

·
Registered
517 Posts
I installed the dual star under my iso grips and they work great. Highly recommend them and at $29 you can't go wrong. Mine heat up quickly too no twenty minutes for heat...

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spear said:
I installed the dual star under my iso grips and they work great. Highly recommend them and at $29 you can't go wrong. Mine heat up quickly too no twenty minutes for heat...
The Dual-Star heaters are #2 on my list. I'd like to know a bit more about these first. Having a kit is more appealing to me than having to build my own kit.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Re: Dual-Star heated grips

elmer49 said:
I ordered a pair of Duel-star Heated grips. They work under any grip including the ISO grips and ONLY 29.95 check them out at www.dual-star.com
i paid $4 for each of the elements from www.goldmine-elec.com.
i also bought 400 led lights from them for 20 cents each. look under heating in the index.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Braz – just received my grips today and have the same concerns about the controller. My question to you if you don’t mind…concerning the throttle-side grip, do you have the wire coming out of the grip pointing at six o’clock (or another position) at idle for free play?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry guys. Been gone for a while. I put the wire for the throttle grip at about 6 o'clock. I have a digital camera, but don't know how to attach a pic. I just stuck the controller right under the keyhole for the right pocket and ran the wire under the bottom edge of the keyhole plate. Doesn't look too good. Prob will change out the controller later on.
Don

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just ordered some of those heating elements from Goldmine. Care to discuss how you installed them? I also orderd a variable pot to control the heat level with during experimentation.

Thanks,
AI Nut

1 - 18 of 18 Posts