GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd share my experience and approach. I did a lot of research first and took the best (IMHO) of what I found.

The rack comes with a good rubber mount isolation kit, but I wanted a bit more protection to avoid cracking. Rather than order and wait for the star washers, I took fender washers and machined a nice radius on the outer diameter. All I did was to cinch the washer up on a long bolt and chuck it in my drill press. A little file action and I had a nice radius. I then painted the washers a nice gold color to contrast a bit with the pearl yellow. Under the fender washers went a neoprene rubber washer. I carefully measured and marked the two rear-most hole locations on masking tape. I put the rack as far forward as I could, only leaving a bit of clearance with the back rest to allow for a bit of movement when the upholstery is compressed by a passenger. I wanted to allow for a spoiler if I ever chose to add it.

Then I drilled and temporarily bolted in. I then marked the front two holes on masking tape and drilled them. Between the inner cover and the underside of the trunk lid, I made large filler washers of about two inches in diameter using bondo (car body filler) with saran wrap on one side as a release agent. I let it harden then re-drilled my four holes through the bondo. When I went to finally bolt the whole thing up with all the washers/spacers, unfortunately I found the left front hole was slightly off - I had to oval the hole out a bit to avoid too much stress on the cover by jamming the screw against the edge of the hole. The ovaling makes no difference with the fender washers, but I hate to know it's there.

I'll be doing the 1/4" tubing trick in the weather strip as soon as it's warm enough to work it through. Overall, I'm happy with the installation. It looks nice and with a good mechanical coupling with the inner cover, I think I'll be in a good situation to avoid load cracking; I'll be planning nothing but light weight, bulky clothing in the Kury bag I'll be using on the rack.

Rob

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
rack install.....

Rob,
Sounds like you did pretty good on the install of the rack. You can always add the star washers at a later date. I did not add a rack on my yellow wing.I have the spoiler only.
I just simply toss the bulky stuff into my bushtec quantum, no problem with 26 cubic feet of storage space. Different strokes, ride safe.
JD'
:biker:

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've been looking at my rack and trunk, hard to punch those holes in that plastic. Have no problem with putting the Utopia backrest into the seat. LOL
I thought about turning and polishing some stainless steel to do the same as the washers you painted up. Still have a problem drilling those holes.
Maybe best thing is to leave SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) at home so I can use that space for what may have gone on the rack.
Will run it by her next time I'm calling long distance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts