GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 4 years of use and a few miles on my Wing, I'm replacing a few of the parts in the front fender area. I had a front fender extension, but decided I really needed a longer extension to cut down on the abuse my lower chrome front cowl (which I am replacing too) was taking so I also purchased the Big Bike Tapered Front Extension (Part 52-749). Most all of the directions are pretty straight forward and the installation went without a hitch until I came to the two small bolts that came with the package that I assume go into hold the upper part of the two Big Bike braces that mount inside the rear front fender. I simply can't screw these two bolts into the top inside of the front fender and secure the bracket. The instructions in this one specific area are a little more vague so I thought I'd see if anyone else had installed this particular extension (Part 52-749) and see how you did it.

Anyone else have problems with securing the top part of the brace to the rear front fender (which I am also replacing due to some broken bracket pieces)???

Thanks,

DaleC

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Dale, if you are connecting the braces to the inside of the fender where the fender bolts from the outside, you will need to use a 6mmx10 tap from the inside. The holes are not tapped 100% through. when installing the Bushtec FFE braces, the instructions had you run this tap from the inside to complete/clean the threads to allow a 6mm mounting bolt to be used.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts