GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:joke: Well....two and half days to go for the 9200 mile trip from Wisconsin to St Johns New Foundland and back...

...was getting excited until the gremlins came out....but so far they have not hit the bike...

Gremlin #1....its 95 degrees (with heat index of 100) in Wisconsin and the central air for the house went out...wife not happy, nor am I, hard to sleep....no problem we will get that fixed...not for a whole week...dealers back logged...

Gremlin #2....washed and waxed the bike last night for the start of the big trip...you know got to have a shinny clean bike to start the trip out right...so get in the truck this morning to go to work...1 mile from the house the gears in the rear differential blew apart and right thru the rear pumpkin cover...yes walked back home in 95 degree weather...got the farm tractor and towed the truck home...will leave until I get back...so pulled the clean bike out of the garage...yes you guessed it, hit a two minute rain shower on the way to work....(maybe that is the third gremlin...:shrug:)

Oh well....leave Thursday morning @ 4am to miss Chicago traffic...will travel to Batavia NY for the first day ride...attached is my route if you are interested....

Tonight, attached my straps for tying down the bike on the ferry, added a throtle boss for comfort and downloaded the GPS the final route.. Pic attached....

My friend in Canada sent me a gift this last week, a Canadian Flag...I worked in Cambridge Ontario for about a year and made many good friends...So I removed my chapter flag and added the Canadian Flag...They will now for sure search my bike.....:bow:

...Will post pictures on this thread (hopefully) each day of new and exciting things....:popcorn:

Looking to have fun.....

Attachments

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
:congrats: on your trip, but just to let you know it's Newfoundland, not New Foundland.

·
Curious Member
877 Posts
Have a great time on the Rock. You can be reasonably sure that it will be cooler. Many great sights to see.
Watch for moose!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
When you cross the causeway onto Cape Breton, stop at the visitor center and ask them to book you into the Harbor View B&B. You'll be glad you did.
P.S. Born and raised in Wis.

·
Registered
120 Posts
miles?

Yikes, I don't want to be a smart aleck, but is your miles figure of 9200 a typo? Reason I ask is, we had some people drive from Newfoundland to Fort Worth and it was a bit over 3,000 miles one way. I know it has to be way less from Wisconsin!!!

Just curious...........:lol:

PS Sorry to hear about all the "Gremlins". When everything goes bad at once, that can REALLY be annoying!

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Post all the info you can,this trip is #1 on my bucket list. Thanks and have a great and safe trip.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Silasman ...I am using the miles listed in Mapsource....we will also be doing some travels in New Hampshire and Vermont along with going around the entire Nova Scotia...so that adds the miles....

And Yes it was a typo it should have read 8200 miles:shrug:...but I am sure I will find another 1000 miles some where...I usually do....:lol:

Safe Rides

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
:congrats: on your trip, but just to let you know it's Newfoundland, not New Foundland.

LOL, you see that alot! He should have a great time out on the 'Rock.'

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Hope all goes well with your trip. Post pics!! I really want to see that part of the world.

On a different note, how big is the box on the rear of your wing and what kind of weight do you put in it. Will you be 2 up? R u running a car tire?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Can't really tell by your map but it looks like you're planning to ride the NYS Thruway from Batavia up to the Adirondacks?

If you ride just north of Rochester, you can ride Rt 104 up into the Adirondacks, much nicer ride via Fulton to Watertown, then through the upper Adirondack region, Cranberry lake, Tupper Lake and then down again to Lake George..........OR Across the Adirondacks via Blue Mountain into Lake George.

I live in Brockport, about 20 minutes from Batavia, so I'll offer this up, if you have an interest..........I have a Motorcycle Cruising map of the Adirondacks, you can have for your trip if we can somehow manage to connect while in Batavia..........I can certainly and would be happy to meet you somewhere and give you the map. I have made this trip several times and last month went through the Adirondacks in Manchester New Hampshire via many nice roads in Vermont...........the Ticonderoga Ferry is worth the trip, if you have time, it's a brief ride across Lake Champlain.

I'll send you a PM with my cell phone number, if you desire, give me a shout and I can hook up with you just about any time on Wednesday......assuming you are staying in Batavia on Tuesday night???

Cheers.

·
Registered
8,575 Posts
Lab Rider,
Have a great Ride. :congrats:
Glad it's YOUR Ride and not mine.

I hate dead-end roads...:wrong:
thecruiser

·
Registered
529 Posts
Enjoy your trip!

Maybe I'll see you somewhere as I'm heading out on Sat. to Cape Breton by way of the Gaspe Penninsula for ten days !

:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Gremlin #1....its 95 degrees (with heat index of 100) in Wisconsin and the central air for the house went out...wife not happy, nor am I, hard to sleep....no problem we will get that fixed...not for a whole week...dealers back logged...

Not ONE of my customers would wait one DAY before calling someone else much less a week:eek:4::eek:4:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hope all goes well with your trip. Post pics!! I really want to see that part of the world.

On a different note, how big is the box on the rear of your wing and what kind of weight do you put in it. Will you be 2 up? R u running a car tire?
The Rack is a Rivco Rack 30x18 with a Ofice Depot File Holder Box 26x17...I but a max of 35 pound...I have found anything over 40 pounds the bike gets lite in the front steering...not comfortable with that...at 35 pounds no problems..I can still scrap the floorboards on turns thus the front wheel sticks to the ground....I currently use bridgestones on front and back...I will be moving to the darkside in August...I have the traxxion full monty suspension system and have no problem with one up or two up with the cooler rack attached....my suspension is set to #5 one up #11 two up....

Hope this helps...

Safe Rides

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just curious as to why you are not using the cat ferry to get over to Nova Scotia?
One of the riders coming along gets very sick on ferries...thus trying to limit water time....Otherwise no good reason

....OK the real truth...the boat captain would not let me ride my bike around the deck so that I could log in the water mileage...:wrong:

Safe Rides

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
New Route Thru NY

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts