GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you ever have a really close call that could have ended fatally?

We were just entering a left hand sweeper on a two lane county road in Vernon county, and I could see a big Expedition heading the oposite direction and taking the corner wide. Then he continued to widen his turn and basically came right at us, almost entirely in our lane, as though he was actually aiming for our big Wing that is equipped with Photon Blasters and modulating headlamps. He must have been asleep, or drunk, but I somehow managed to keep my cool as I pushed on the bar and straightened my curve just enough to snick past him. I did not look back to see where he ended up.

At the time, we weren't too freaked by this, just a little rattled. It was not until later in the day, after safely arriving home, that I started with all the "what if's". I need not go into all those now, but suffice to say that they all summed up to "we would be dead, and our nine grandchildren would be sad".

We put 6500 miles on the Wing this summer and I did another 1000 on my Beemer before that close call three weeks ago, and I have yet to saddle up since then. I even started calculating what I would sell the bikes for, gathered up all my biking magazines to pitch, and haven't been on any forums since.

Now, I'm not convinced we need to quit, but remain a little shaken.

Obviously, by bringing this to a bike forum, I know what kind of advice I'll get here. But I'd still like to hear some wise thought on this topic.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
ever have a close call driving a cage? did you quit?

ever almost fall in the tub? quit washing?

ever almost trip? quit walking?

i guess you see where im going

·
Registered
206 Posts
It seems like we have all had close calls whether it be on motorcycles or cars. I have had several on both and you do get a bit spooked and it takes a while to recover. A few years ago I was driving my truck towing 2 snowmobiles when I lost traction on ice covered roads. We did a 180, went off the road and almost went over a deep ravine before we stopped. Luckily, we were not hurt and we did not damage anything but it shook me up read bad and still does to this day. Any time I am driving or riding and the truck or bike wobbles even a bit, it scares me. A few months ago, I had another scare while riding the Wing in Yellowstone, I was passing a car and came close to going off the road, it shook me up the rest of the ride.

All you can do is try and shake it off and take it as a lesson learned You can't operate a vehicle scared, but you can be a bit more cautious, slow down a bit, be more aware of your surroundings, that is what I try and do. An incident like you have been through puts a lot in perspective. Live life to the fullest and be thankful for what you have !!!!!

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
ever have a close call driving a cage? did you quit?

ever almost fall in the tub? quit washing?

ever almost trip? quit walking?

i guess you see where im going

With respect, I understand your intent but I think everyone needs to make her or his own decision without chastizement from others. For some it's best to mount up right away, for others to take a break and for still others to find another hobby. IMO there is no one right answer for all.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
With respect, I understand your intent but I think everyone needs to make her or his own decision without chastizement from others. For some it's best to mount up right away, for others to take a break and for still others to find another hobby. IMO there is no one right answer for all.
in no way was it a slam,its just we live and move on dont make more of it than it is

·
Registered
507 Posts
I know what you are going through...I have thought about it many times. In the end it comes down to if it is your time to go then it is your time to go. Sure you can sell your bike and possibly get hit by a bus walking across the street, or get in an accident in the cage. There are lots of things that can kill you in life...if you worried about them all and didn't do anything to put yourself at risk...well to me that is just not living.

Good to hear you made it and rest easy that you knew just what to do to avoid that unfortunate event from occurring and kept your whits about you instead of freezing or target fixating on his grill.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Riding a motorcycle will always carry an inherent extra risk because of the size of the vehicle compared to other cars, the lack of as many safety devices, and the exposure of not being in the steel cage. But it sounds to me that you rode your bike well, did what was necessary and got through a close call. My question back is, if you barely snuck by on your bike, do you think your chances for avoidance would have been improved if in a car?

As for close calls, just in the last month I've had a guy in a pickup decide he wanted my lane more than me while cruising down the freeway in the fastlane with no shoulder, so it was evade or get squashed. Horn didn,t even faze the guy. Had to lock them up and let him come on over. Also had a wild turkey - the live kind - not the bottle kind, buzz me at head height at highway speeds - missed that one by inches. As much from luck as by a little bit of bike control.

Were those total crap your pants things, not completely. But they happen all the time. Good riders learn to avoid them or to make the quick decisions on how to respond to minimize or completely come away unscathed. I am not implying I am uber-rider nor that you aren't a good one. Far from it, if you were heads up enough to see it coming, respond, and ride away I wouldn't give up the bikes. Maybe just take it easy like back in the early days of first riding to get the jitters out.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I don't think YellowWolf was chastising anyone, just a dose of reality. I've had many close calls in my 35 years of riding. that doesn't mean I'm going to hang it up . it is an occupational hazard that you need to deal with. it's part of riding a motorcycle. these things happen. I have never met anyone that rides that can say they haven't had a close call. get back on the horse , yada yada yada.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
My advice is to take one of the Advanced riding courses that deal mostly with staying safe on the road.Considering the investment you have in your riding,I think it is worth giving yourself a second chance.The imput from the profesionals will help you build your confidence back.If you still find that you are shaken by this incident after the course then sell the bikes and take up a new hobby.

and give yourself a break,that would have shook up just about anyone.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
When your time is up not much you can do. I have noticed that there are allot of cage drivers crossing the center line this year. Probably distracted due to cell phone use. I keep telling myself that this must have always been the case but I am more aware of it the older I get.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
There comes a time in every motorcyclist's life when they must face that decision. Only you can know when that time has come. Some choose too early, while some choose too late. I'm not there yet, but rue the day when I must also face that choice. I hope that I make the right decision when it's still my choice.

·
Registered
507 Posts
My question back is, if you barely snuck by on your bike, do you think your chances for avoidance would have been improved if in a car?
That is a very astute question which the OP can ponder...having been in a cage most likely it would have resulted differently.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Sorry about the idiots in cages... I look at it would i rather go out living or setting in a chair waiting for death to come find me. If it my time not much I can do about it.IMO

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
IMHO, if you get knocked down, you get up again. If you almost get knocked down, you're already up and can just go on. I am certainly glad you didn't go down and don't have to fight getting back up! As it is, you have nothing to fight and nothing to fear!

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Did you ever have a really close call that could have ended fatally?

We were just entering a left hand sweeper on a two lane county road in Vernon county, and I could see a big Expedition heading the oposite direction and taking the corner wide. Then he continued to widen his turn and basically came right at us, almost entirely in our lane, as though he was actually aiming for our big Wing that is equipped with Photon Blasters and modulating headlamps. He must have been asleep, or drunk, but I somehow managed to keep my cool as I pushed on the bar and straightened my curve just enough to snick past him. I did not look back to see where he ended up.

At the time, we weren't too freaked by this, just a little rattled. It was not until later in the day, after safely arriving home, that I started with all the "what if's". I need not go into all those now, but suffice to say that they all summed up to "we would be dead, and our nine grandchildren would be sad".

We put 6500 miles on the Wing this summer and I did another 1000 on my Beemer before that close call three weeks ago, and I have yet to saddle up since then. I even started calculating what I would sell the bikes for, gathered up all my biking magazines to pitch, and haven't been on any forums since.

Now, I'm not convinced we need to quit, but remain a little shaken.

Obviously, by bringing this to a bike forum, I know what kind of advice I'll get here. But I'd still like to hear some wise thought on this topic.
Wisdom eh? Well for sure an accident on a motorcycle is much more serious generally than if you are in an enclosed vehicle. Just the very nature of the open motorcycle an all that it is a head on collision will be serious , and possibly in a modern vehicle maybe not, but your chances in such with airbags and so on do greatly manage the risk to your favor, where as the motorcycle more or less, defines death in a full frontal collision.

I have close calls all the time, mostly in my service van of which I will go climb into at noon today and go run three calls.......traffic and driving among the unobservant, one just has to be observant for them. I fully expect to see several wrecks before I get to the first call......in the sea of people that our world has become.

On the bike I have a totally different mindset, I tell myself to be observant and I take each situation and I learn from it. So on such back two lane roads I have learned to look far ahead and if I see a vehicle coming my way in all curves I am already far right and checking out the shoulder too.....kinda subconscious once you teach yourself to do so. Is there a driveway with a metal culvert ahead...nope that is not a good idea......but if push comes to shove much better than a head on. What works good on those roads it to teach yourself to take the outside of each curve as this straightens your line of sight and you can see much better.

All you can do is fully understand the risk and accept it or not. If you ever lose your fear of it all then it is time to quit, for the fear and realization of the facts of life will keep you sharp.

Yet even with constant work on observation one cannot control all things and yes one day all of us are subject to death one way or the other........and riding a motorycle is a risk more so than some other things.

I will never quit it.......but I do give great cause to my wife, I would not ever wish to cause harm to her, so at times I give myself a talking to about that one, and just on those times she is with me, become totally a living radar. I give it much more total attention on those days.

I guess you just have to accept or reject the risk and do as best as you can to manage it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think it's fair to say that we are all engaged in a hobby (or lifestyle) in which we assume greater risk.
As such, it is also fair to say that at some point in our riding careers we must ask ourselves if the risks outweigh the benefits.
We've all been there. I make that consideration everytime I take one of my kids on the bike.
So far I have been able to make the justification but there have been "what if" moments.

I try to stack the odds in my favor...

·
Registered
655 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
HRR,

Just one week ago here,,,three riders were headed out early in the morning on an US 2 lane highway. (Only 2 miles from were I live). Rounding a curve the last biker in the three pack wound up getting sidswiped by a cager that had went out slightly into the bikes lane rounding the curve. ( I talked to one of the EMT''s that went to the scene). Bottom line this is very much the same scenario as you experienced, The guy on the sideswiped bike continued on to a place were there was a place to pull off the 2 lane,,almost another mile! Believe it or not,,you could not tell anything wrong with the bike!,,,,BUT,,,the gentleman had his above the knee gougued very badly,,and wound up having to have his foot taken off. How sad

On the very same day a couple ,57 years old riding on a two lane about 40 miles north of me,,met a pickup truck, as they met the bedliner flew out of the truck,,,struck the couple,,,they both got knocked off of the bike,,and the 57 year old gentleman was killed at the scene,,and his wife was beat up,,,but will be OK.
Both these on same day,,,only 40 miles,,maximum,,away from me,

it goes without saying both of these accidents would have been impossible,,,to get away from,,regardless how many say,,"You should have done this or done that differently!.
Neeed I say more? Always be 'scanning' just as airline pilots are taught to do is something to keep in mind when riding!

BC

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
I don't think YellowWolf was chastising anyone, just a dose of reality. I've had many close calls in my 35 years of riding. that doesn't mean I'm going to hang it up . it is an occupational hazard that you need to deal with. it's part of riding a motorcycle. these things happen. I have never met anyone that rides that can say they haven't had a close call. get back on the horse , yada yada yada.
I could/should have used a different word. What I tried to convey is that for everyone the answer is or is likely to be different.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts