GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the bike for an appointment regarding a VA claim this morning. While attending the appointment, some low-life piece of garbage stole my "POW/MIA" flag and the screw-in top of the flag holder. They didn't bother the US Flag...guess they already had one of those. Amazing...

·
Registered
994 Posts
I had what I thought the same thing happen on a charity ride a few years ago. Turns out later in the ride somebody brought me my flag the screw-in top backed off and the flag flew off and they saw it and picked it up for me. I never realized it was gone until they handed it to me.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
And you went back in to see if they had a camera looking at the parking lot?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I had what I thought the same thing happen on a charity ride a few years ago. Turns out later in the ride somebody brought me my flag the screw-in top backed off and the flag flew off and they saw it and picked it up for me. I never realized it was gone until they handed it to me.
Just returned last week on a 15 day ride. First day the wind blew 40-50 and on arriving at the motel I found that the upper post and my USA flag was missing. Blue Locktite didn't keep it from being "stolen". I removed my Texas flag and post from the Wing and it rode in the trunk until we returned. I'm now hoping that red Locktite will keep my Texas flag from being "stolen".>:)
By the way, anyone finds my flag and post somewhere in West Texas I'll sure ride out and pick it up. It should be at least 50 yards from the road by the way that the crosswind was blowing.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Took the bike for an appointment regarding a VA claim this morning. While attending the appointment, some low-life piece of garbage stole my "POW/MIA" flag and the screw-in top of the flag holder. They didn't bother the US Flag...guess they already had one of those. Amazing...
Sons-a-B****'s!
And of all places a VA facility!:evil::wrong::cus:

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Coulda bin worse, they coulda stolen you Wing and left the flag. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
He woulda got money back for the wing.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Coulda bin worse, they coulda stolen you Wing and left the flag. :wink2:

A few years ago I went to the Pilot truck stop for gas at 395 and I-15 in Victorville, CA. While I was sitting on the bike two guys were on the other side of the pump and kind of yelling back and forth. One steps over and and said "hey” ****** where's my helmet?" I said I have not gotten off my bike and just getting gas. He had put his helmet on top of the pump and it was gone. I just shrug my shoulders and said Man that's too bad. He told me I was not going to leave until he looked in my trunk and sidebags. I said sure, but why don't you go inside and ask them to show you the camera playback facing us from the building. His buddy went in and he still was not going to let me leave. I finished putting in the gas, unplugged the helmet cord and showed him. He didn't say crap just walk over to the other side of the pump. I fired up, and took off and leaving him behind.

When they were talking, he just couldn't believe somebody could or would steal his helmet in a couple of minutes while they went in to pay for gas.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
If you get a chance, down here in Florida, shoot and kill him ... but only after he tosses the flag towards you. Be sure to claim that you were standing your ground.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
A few years ago I went to the Pilot truck stop for gas at 395 and I-15 in Victorville, CA. While I was sitting on the bike two guys were on the other side of the pump and kind of yelling back and forth. One steps over and and said "hey” ****** where's my helmet?" I said I have not gotten off my bike and just getting gas. He had put his helmet on top of the pump and it was gone. I just shrug my shoulders and said Man that's too bad. He told me I was not going to leave until he looked in my trunk and sidebags. I said sure, but why don't you go inside and ask them to show you the camera playback facing us from the building. His buddy went in and he still was not going to let me leave. I finished putting in the gas, unplugged the helmet cord and showed him. He didn't say crap just walk over to the other side of the pump. I fired up, and took off and leaving him behind.

When they were talking, he just couldn't believe somebody could or would steal his helmet in a couple of minutes while they went in to pay for gas.
"Wasn't gonna let you leave"? Right!

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Even as smooth as the Goldwing is I've had a cup holder vibrate loose. It has a thumb screw that held it on and it came loose. I would have swore that someone stole it if it hadn't landed in my lap while riding. It must be a common occurrence because the thumb screw is one of the few parts they sell separately, it's just one more thing I check now before rides.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts

Hope you're joking, I would have not complied with anyone's demands except for law enforcement with a valid reason.

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Hope you're joking, I would have not complied with anyone's demands except for law enforcement with a valid reason.

He was pretty upset and I didn't feel it was needed to make it worse. Plus the fact was I didn't have it and it just seemed easy to show him. Helmet is required in California and he would get stopped pretty quick for having a helmet on.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
He was pretty upset and I didn't feel it was needed to make it worse. Plus the fact was I didn't have it and it just seemed easy to show him. Helmet is required in California and he would get stopped pretty quick for having a helmet on.
Good on you - cooler heads prevail. Especially when you're concealed carrying, it's a license to be the coolest head on the planet.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
You where probably right to deescalate the situation, don't think I could have done it.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
You where probably right to deescalate the situation, don't think I could have done it.

If I became nasty he could have pushed me into the pump or pulled on me and pinned me under the bike with the gas cap off. I said Wow that's too bad and looked at the top of the pump. I felt he was never mad at me per say, just ticked that somebody would steal a helmet or anything else right at a gas station and just wanted a look at everything. I went through Driver's Log and this happened at the end of March 2010 after I closed up our place in AZ and was heading for home.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
If you get a chance, down here in Florida, shoot and kill him ... but only after he tosses the flag towards you. Be sure to claim that you were standing your ground.
Many will think you are joking but in Florida it happens all the time with stand your ground.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts