GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday went for a very quick ride in the morning and left the bike on the driveway with cover on. My wife came home and called me a work telling me that the bike had blown over and was laying in the lawn. Really got sick to my stomach fast. I had the bike in gear, on the side stand and cover bungied. No damage except leaking gas and it was dead (NO Juice). My question is has this happened to anyone and what else can I do to prevent it in the future? I did call the Honda Ridrs Club (first time used in 5 years) and they dispatched a tow truck which came in about 45 minutes and took it to the dealer. The service manager said that it was better to put it on the center stand. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have always heard that the side stand is the most stable. If you were to try to push the bike over when on the side stand you really could not do it but on the center stand you could. Sorry to hear about your bike, sounds to me like it's a different problem maybe kickstand or something else. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Wow I've never heard of that before. I've have had mine outside in some very heavy winds while on the sidestand and have never had a problem. It wil be interesting to hear what others have to say about this.

G

·
in 24 years of riding I've never had a bike blow over off the side nor center stand, even with my first wife who was full of hot air. :lol:

G

·
Wayne-

Sorry to hear about your mishap...gotta be an awful feeling.

Just a couple of quick thoughts....I assume the wind must have
been howling to have the potential to blow the bike over
(as opposed to the side stand sinking in the asphalt)...the only
cover that I've run into that does NOT scuff the paint is the
UltraGard half cover. It's never left a mark on my Wing. The
only time mine sees a full cover is in a dead-still garage, but then
there's no need to cover it!

Covers will act like big sails in a high wind...when my bike has
had to be out in big wind/rain, the cover stays OFF! I'd rather
have "wet" than "tipped over".

I'm not sure how I feel about side-stand vs center-stand....
depends on the circumstances, I guess....direction of wind,
intensity, surroundings.

Hope your ride comes home soon.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I suspect your driveway has a slope to it. Usually, a paved area meaning driveway slopes to the right (curb) side for drainage, and when we put the side stand of a bike down, it is to the uphill side, and the bike is parked more vertical than normal (read - nearly straight up). Therefore, more easily tipped over. Yes, I had a 1200 go over because of the wind, but I left the bike with an uneasy feeling about slope and tip over when I parked it. I just don't do that anymore.

Glad to hear no damage. The reason it was dead could (I'm guessing now) have been because the tip-over switch activated. You have to turn the key on and off to reset it.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Yep, it can happen with the wind. My friends blew over last year at Wing Ding. It was in gear on level pavement. It had a cover over it also. It was on its stock side stand leaned into the wind. I guy saw it happen. The wind guested real bad & the bike just stood up then went over on the far side from the side stand. It broke a few things on it. We had our bike & trike parked next to his. The only difference was mine was still hooked up to the trailer.

·
Registered
759 Posts
bluewing..what a bummer...when I park when winds are up, I dont put the side stand into the wind...I put the side stand away from the wind. so if the wind is blowing from east to west lets say, my side stand is on the west side of the wind. I feel it would take a hurricaine to move it.

·
Registered
17,124 Posts
Show me a boy without any bruises or scars and I will show you a pretty dull lad. Dings and scratches show character. A little road grime ner hurt anybody. I am happy for you that there was not real structural damage. I hope your battery and electrical system were not damaged and that it was just the tip over switch that needed reset. Kinda of scary to have leaking fuel and shorted battery in same incident.

prs

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Understand...

Actually, I can understand how that can happen. Don't know where you are located, the but winds here along the Front Range of the Rockies are gusting up to 70mph today. As for you bike, glad that it survived okay. I have noticed with the Wing that the kickstand keeps the bike pretty upright vs. leaning significantly, so I've always been pretty careful when parking it with the kickstand on a upward slope (just cannot do). If I have that situation, I normally turn it around so that it is leaning more on the kickstand. Now my Valk is another story. Boy, those bikes really lean over when on the kickstand and if you have then leaning downhill, they can be a pretty hefty lift to get them back upright. One thing for sure with the Valk is that I think this would never happen on that kickstand unless you really had the kickstand on a upward slope. With the Wing, always something to watch for when parking on the kickstand.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
kickstand

If you leave the bike in gear it will have less tendency to roll off the kick stand.
JD

·
Registered
229 Posts
Which side was it laying on? Was the kickstand still extended? If the cover was on tight and the wind got under it from the right direction it could have a lot of lift. Just glad there was minimal damage.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had almost the same problem. Let me explain. We went to Palm Springs for the weekend last year. Sunday when it was time to come home I was loading Diane's bag in the left saddlebag. Being a women's bag it was quite (much too full) full. In trying to close the lid I pushed and pushed and gave one extra hard push to try and latch it, low and behold I pushed the RED DVLL over on her side.. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.
The next thing I did was look up and down the street to see if anyone saw me... Small scratches all over the right side saddlebag cover and trim... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Regarding your incident. The cover acts like a wind sail, ther is no-where for the wind to escape so it pushes the bike over... Solution, get a half cover, no problem with the wind... :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the imput. The bike was in gear and my driveway is flat. The cover was not loose and when I got home it was opposite the side stand and the side stand was straight up in the air. I guess I will invest in a half cover because I don't want this to happen again. The dealer said that more than likely the gas was from the gas cap and it dripped down into my Tulsa belly pan. Not sure about the reset of the electrical. Well now that it is at the dealer I am having the ECM changed out and a few other little things taken care off.

Wayne

·
Registered
348 Posts
Happened to me too!

Stopped to talk to a freind. The ground sloped down and rust to the right. I have an extra tall tulsa wind shield and the wind was blowing from the left rear of the bike. The bike fell on the right side. Got a scratch in the molding.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts