GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am trying to figure out how to get all my camping stuff on my bike and trailer. I am a long time camper and love it. I know lost of people camp on their bikes but I can't figure out how to take the wife and all our stuff. And what makes this bad is we are only going for the weekend. Geeeeeez I need to learn how to pack or something. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
423 Posts
For starters, there is a huge difference in camping gear. Car camping stuff is big and bulky and backpacking gear is small and lightweight. I actually have gear for both occasions. I would never be able to get me car camping stuff on my bike. The downfall is that my backpacking gear is well over a thousand dollars worth of stuff! But it is small and can be packed in my saddlebags.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Camping

I can put enough for several days with just the use of a basket rack and the trunk rack. It's all it the gear you have but you get what you pay for and as long as you take care of it you can use it for several years! I must admit I camp alone the better half is partial to the amenities! But me a few bottles of water and some coffee and homemade bread and I can stay out for days! Check out campmor. The have alot of closeouts at really good prices! Enjoy the outdoors! Happy camping! Some places even rent camping equipment so you can try before you make an investment!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
If you have a trailer, how could this be a problem? I've packed all necessary camping gear onto my Honda 750-4 back a few years and we were 2-up LOL ... it's all a matter of what you take and don't take. We currently have a tent trailer but before that we had a cargo trailer and packed a lot more than we ever needed into it... and on top of it.

Take a look at what you got .... set aside the absolute necessities and then eliminate those things you really don't need from the rest ... and you'll get what's left to fit.

How to determine what you don't need example.... if you're going for 4 days, you don't need 4 changes of clothes. Don't take a frypan for every situation... one should do it. Don't pack unnecessary groceries ... buy them when you get there (if possible) and only buy what you will consume.

hope this helps. Google Motorcycle Camping Checklist and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Use the post office!

Pack up a box full of all of the bulky stuff you'll want, the sleeping bags, the tent, etc. Mail them to yourself ahead of time at the local post office near the campground in care of (your name): GENERAL DELIVERY

Make sure you can carry the box on the rear seat of the bike while the Mrs. remains at the campground, or on the trailer hitch rack, or in your trailer.

The post office will hold the box for 30 days before automatically returning it to your home. Show up, show your I.D. and pick up your stuff. If you don't, it will be sent back to you.

Inside, place a large pre-printed return address label and the necessary postage to send the box home again. Don't forget a small roll of box tape.

Now go to the campground, stop by the post office to pick up your "stuff," camp for the weekend, and then pack up the stuff along with the laundry and whatever, and mail it back to your house or to a trusted friend.

On the shipping label, print your color photo (3"x5") with "Only THIS MAN is authorized to pick up this box" When you walk in, they'll hand the box to you with a smile!

When I do the four corners tour next summer, I'll have boxes waiting for me all around the country, with clean socks and boxers :tongue:, fresh T-shirts, small tubes of toothpaste and such. I'm not going to carry all of that stuff with me.

Remember that you cannot mail certain things, like alkaline batteries and flammables, but otherwise, you can even send a tire to a post office and have it waiting for you, along with a new oil filter (not the oil), sweatshirts for the cold weather areas, rain suits and more. Use the post office to "mule" the stuff you don't need to carry around full time!

If you are into sending correspondence, take a compact computer printer with you (you WILL take a laptop, won't you?) and mail the paper and ink cartridges to your checkpoints. Include prepared address mailing envelopes or labels with blank envelopes, and postage stamps.

Remember, you'll need to know the addresses of the post offices you use, their hours and such, so you can plan to arrive and pick up your box(es) and re-send them without delay.

I may just try to see how LITTLE I can carry on a long tour, while using the post office to be my supply chain. Of course, I'll have a few credit cards as backup in case my itinerary changes enroute. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
If you can't get enough stuff in your trailer and bike for a weekend, maybe you need to leave the king bed and gas range at home and take an air mattress and Coleman stove. :joke:

·
Registered
546 Posts
camping

I pull a cargo trailer when I take long trips by myself. I used to carry 3 to 4 pair of blue jeans and t shirts so I wouldn't have to go to a laundromat. Later on I changed my strategy and carried one pair of blue jeans one spare t shirt. Several pair of underware and sox. I carry a pair of shorts for swimming and it is also useful when I go to a laundromat. 45 minutes at a laundromat is easier to deal with than a whole bunch of unecessary luggage for the whole trip. Also I would suggest packing your trailer with what you think you need. Unpack it and set up tent at home and sleep in it. Pack it the next morning. You will gain packing experience, and figure out what you need and don,t need before you leave home.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I pull a cargo trailer when I take long trips by myself. I used to carry 3 to 4 pair of blue jeans and t shirts so I wouldn't have to go to a laundromat. Later on I changed my strategy and carried one pair of blue jeans one spare t shirt. Several pair of underware and sox. I carry a pair of shorts for swimming and it is also useful when I go to a laundromat. 45 minutes at a laundromat is easier to deal with than a whole bunch of unecessary luggage for the whole trip. Also I would suggest packing your trailer with what you think you need. Unpack it and set up tent at home and sleep in it. Pack it the next morning. You will gain packing experience, and figure out what you need and don,t need before you leave home.
:agree:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I found the key is to carry physically "small" gear, which can (all together) be carried atop the trunk rack.

-Sleeping Bags: Two REI mummy bags, each in a compression sack that reduces to only 6" diameter x 10" long.
-Sleep Mats: Two REI inflatable mats, same size as the sleeping bag
-Blanket
-Rain Cover: Covers all the above, and helps keep it together atop the trunk rack.

Add a trailer hitch Rack and a cargo box atop that, and you can easily carry more stuff if you like, even leaving all three trunks available for other stuff if wanted.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I travel solo and I still take too many clothes but at this time of year when I'm gone for two weeks I feel like I need to take more warmer clothes "just in case". Lots of great advice so far, just remember--less is much easier:coffee1:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lots of good suggestions so far and some funny ones too.

Here is what I am taking
2 compact sleeping bags
2 chairs
1 wife the other one would not go.
1 mid sized ice chest
clothes bag
2 sets of rain gear
got to have some food
flashlight
coleman campstove
1 tent pretty compact
spare tire for trailor. Do you think I need this?
1 hatchet for putting in tent stakes
1 8x10 tarp
bike cover (small)
small bag with 2 plates 1- pan and 2 forks, spoons

I think that is about it. I can not seem to make it fit. The cooler is a concern because it takes up allot of room. We are taking food for 3 days and when you put ice in the cooler there is not much room left. Where we are camping the closest place for any supplys would be about 120 miles round trip. So we need to take with us what we need. I see people on bikes doing this all the time and going for weeks so there has to be a way.

I am a bit worried about over loading my bike down. Any thoughts on this/

Thanks again for all the help

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
camping

It doesn't sound like you have too much listed. It can always be made smaller and lighter for enough money, but with a trailer it doesn't seem like this should be a problem. Maybe a picture of the loaded equipment is needed. Remember some things don't need to be inside the trailer. Coolers and spare tires come to mind first.

Richard

·
Registered
905 Posts

+1

:agree:

BUT .. if you're willing to put out for "silk" underware .. you only have to carry 2 or 3 pair .. they wash and dry really easily !
Have a great trip .. :yes1:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Here is what I am taking
2 compact sleeping bags
2 chairs
1 mid sized ice chest
clothes bag
2 sets of rain gear
got to have some food
flashlight
coleman campstove
1 tent pretty compact
1 8x10 tarp
bike cover (small)
Put these atop the trunk rack: [All are light weight, so Ok to stow high]
-2 compact sleeping bags
-1 tent pretty compact
-1 8x10 tarp [Wrap it around the sleeping bags and tent, to keep them dry, then a bungee net to hold the whole tamale to the trunk rack]

Put these in the side bags:
-clothes bag [right side]
-2 sets of rain gear [Froggtogg's, which are quite small; left side for quick access on side of road when parked)
-food
-flashlight

Put these in the trailer:
-coleman campstove [Can you make do with a small stove?]
-small bag with 2 plates 1- pan and 2 forks, spoons
-bike cover (small) [Perhaps reduce to a half-cover?]

Eliminate/Subsitute these:
-1 mid sized ice chest / Camelback water jugs on trunk rack
-1 hatchet for putting in tent stakes / Use Wire Stacks instead, which don't require a hatchet to install or remove.
-2 chairs [Sounds bulky, depending on type... perhaps use a small one like this: http://www.sourcingmap.com/tripod-camping-fishing-picnic-folding-chair-stool-red-p-41780.html ]

spare tire for trailor. Do you think I need this? [Yes; stow beneath the trailer if possible, so does not occupy cargo area]

Also, as someone else mentioned, if you leave you normal street clothes behind, you can subsitute something much more compact and washable... I carry only 2 or 3 pairs of this (tops and bottoms), washing one every night and air-drying it the next day atop the trunk rack while en-route: http://store.mm411.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=1335&ParentCat=178

Bottom Line: I carry nearly the same stuff as you mention (minus the chairs; plus extra suits of rain gear) with a cargo rack & box, but no trailer... so it's certainly possible. Having a trailer should make it easy.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It doesn't sound like you have too much listed. It can always be made smaller and lighter for enough money, but with a trailer it doesn't seem like this should be a problem. Maybe a picture of the loaded equipment is needed. Remember some things don't need to be inside the trailer. Coolers and spare tires come to mind first.

Richard
Hmmm it does have a cooler rack on the front of trailer but it is too small for the cooler that I need to take. I wonder if I could strap the spare tire on somewhere?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Does the ice chest fit on the tongue or are you trying to put it inside the trailer? The spare tire will fasten below the tongue to free up space inside the trailer. All else will go inside the trailer with your personal luggage (clothes, etc.) in the side bags of the bike. This leaves the trunk for common items (flashlight, snacks) and if you have a trunk rack, that is a good place for the rain gear.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does the ice chest fit on the tongue or are you trying to put it inside the trailer? The spare tire will fasten below the tongue to free up space inside the trailer. All else will go inside the trailer with your personal luggage (clothes, etc.) in the side bags of the bike. This leaves the trunk for common items (flashlight, snacks) and if you have a trunk rack, that is a good place for the rain gear.
I would love to put the spare under the toung. How could that be attached there?
There is a cooler rack on the toung but it is too small for the cooler I need to bring. I am really not bringing that big of a cooler but like I said you put some items in the cooler and add ice to last even 1 day that that is a mid size cooler. Don't really know how I could get it any smaller.
Do you know anything about weight? How much weight is too much weight

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Lots of good suggestions so far and some funny ones too.

Here is what I am taking
2 compact sleeping bags
2 chairs
1 mid sized ice chest
clothes bag
2 sets of rain gear
got to have some food
flashlight
coleman campstove
1 tent pretty compact
1 8x10 tarp
bike cover (small)

Sumpin just doesn't add up. :shrug: You either have a small trailer or your definition of "mid-sized" is different than most. You have limited utinsils and gear, only one wife, and one clothes bag. How big is that? One wife can fill one of those up pretty good. Cut the chairs and depending on the camp stove that should almost fit in the bags. A pack it rack for sure.

A trailer pic might be helpfull.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I would love to put the spare under the toung. How could that be attached there?
There is a cooler rack on the toung but it is too small for the cooler I need to bring. I am really not bringing that big of a cooler but like I said you put some items in the cooler and add ice to last even 1 day that that is a mid size cooler. Don't really know how I could get it any smaller.
Do you know anything about weight? How much weight is too much weight
> Use a U-bolt to attach the spare tire to the trailer tongue... same as done on other trailers such as the Piggy Backer (which does it on the rear end though)... the U points downwards, over the tongue, then the spare tire hangs from it with the bolt going through two of the lug holes.

> Regarding Weight on the trailer tongue, you have to weigh the entire trailer, and verify that the weight at the end of the tongue is 10%-15% of the total... If not, then adjust the loading configuration until it is. This is V-E-R-Y important for stability... lot's of people have crashed due to improper loading. (Email me for a neat Excel spreadsheet I made, which calculates the loadings)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
> Use a U-bolt to attach the spare tire to the trailer tongue... same as done on other trailers such as the Piggy Backer (which does it on the rear end though)... the U points downwards, over the tongue, then the spare tire hangs from it with the bolt going through two of the lug holes.

> Regarding Weight on the trailer tongue, you have to weigh the entire trailer, and verify that the weight at the end of the tongue is 10%-15% of the total... If not, then adjust the loading configuration until it is. This is V-E-R-Y important for stability... lot's of people have crashed due to improper loading. (Email me for a neat Excel spreadsheet I made, which calculates the loadings)
I will do that but first I have to figure out how to weigh it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts