GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a couple times when running down the interstate or twisting the throttle on the back roads that the engine sputters almost like someone just turned the key off and back on but much quicker. Almost seems like something electrical or computer related. Anyone else experience something like this? Bike is a 2001.

·
Vendor
17,415 Posts
Could be the kill switch. See JustWings.com > printed material > recalls for more information. I think that is a known issue for that year.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Have you had the recall done on the Bank Angle Sensor. The 01 to 03 have sensors that can do that if they get loose and get to jiggling around. You can take a peek at the sensor, see if it is loose. If not, that is not the problem.

Might not be it, just an idea.

Intermittent stuff is a nightmare. Until it just dies it is hard to find.

Relays will act like that too, and even some corrosion in a fuse holder will cause things like that.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Duck, not sure how quick the cut-out is, but there appears to be quite a few wings (mine included) that will miss under acceleration. When it occurs on mine it is under moderate to heavy acceleration and generally 2000-2500 RPM or above. It acts like one spark plug missed firing just one time then all is well (until the next time), so this may be different than yours.

When I socialized this on here the consensus was that many wings do it and no one knew of a cure.

·
Curious Member
877 Posts
There is/was a rebuild kit for the kill switch. Easy to install and it solved the problem for me.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I will check the kill switch, but it sounds like what TravelinLite is describing.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Same here, at about 1800 - 2000 rpm.:shrug:

·
Registered
247 Posts
mine did a few times an i80 on cruise it just dies then start s right back up kinda scary, just curious why does our bikes even have a 2nd kill switch. our cars and pickups only require 1. when i worked at m/c shops you cant believe the number of people who cant start there bike because of one to many kill switch. and the number of people who kill the bike and never turn the key off running their batterys down. if mine ever acts up again it will be simply unplugged. the key seems to work just fine turning my bike off

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
You did not hear this from me or read it here, mind you.

Short the kill switch. If it still happens, not the kill switch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts