GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help. In the fall was returning from Vermont back to Michigan. Riding through heavy rain for two days, stopped for gas and when I went to start it, completely dead. Tried again and it started right up. I keep the bike on a battery tender. Two days ago, went for a short ride, stopped and turned the bike off to pick up a friend. Started right up and took what I consider a short ride, walked around a short time. Went to start it and was completely dead, no lights, nothing. Checked the kill switch and everything I could think of. Had to have it towed home. Hooked it back up to the tender,thinking the battery was completely dead. As me and the neighbor were trying to figure it out, tried turning the key a couple of times and had one of the dash lights flicker. Next morning took the battery to the local battery store and it checked out to be good and it was completely charged, didn't have it hooked up overnight. Put it back on the bike, reading 12.79 volts while starting dropped to 11.81 then went up. Kept trying to start all day as I explored everything, it started every time. If anyone has an idea why this occurred, please let me know. I travel alone most of the time and don't want this to happen again.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I bump the reverse switch accidentally sometimes that won't let it start. I replaced the right side switch assembly on my 2008 because the starter switch would kill the lights and start, but not let the headlights come back on, though not every time. Funny how all the switches worked so well after. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like it is cranking over good. See if you can get an FI code by cranking for at least 10 seconds.
Ron
It now cranks and starts normally, never had the FI flash. When it was dead, nothing was lighting up on the dash what so ever.

·
Vendor
16,406 Posts
As me and the neighbor were trying to figure it out, tried turning the key a couple of times and had one of the dash lights flicker.
Just to clarify.
  • It cranks but will not start ???
  • or you turn the key to the on position and basically nothing on the dash lights up ???
  • or the dash lights up, the headlamps comes on, but it will not crank over ???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to clarify.
  • It cranks but will not start ???
  • or you turn the key to the on position and basically nothing on the dash lights up ???
  • or the dash lights up, the headlamps comes on, but it will not crank over ???
Now it is normal, when I had it towed, there was absolutely nothing. No lights no dash lights Nothing

·
Vendor
16,406 Posts
Now it is normal, when I had it towed, there was absolutely nothing. No lights no dash lights Nothing
That means you've lost voltage. Like a bad ignition switch, or bad battery, or bad ground, or battery cables not making contact. Something like that.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
You said you checked the battery terminals. Did you remove them and clean them or just check that they were tight?
After taking the battery to be tested, and reinstalling it, you may have inadvertently fixed the problem.

·
Registered
707 Posts
If it happens again, now that you’ve had the battery in and out, my money is on an intermittently bad ignition switch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts