GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out riding last week and came up to road construction. Stopped in 1st gear and put the side stand down to stop engine but wanted to keep tunes and GPS powered on. After the delay (about 10 minutes) I put side stand up pulled in the clutch and brake pushed the starter. Nothing. Dash lights didn't dim, no sounds etc. Almost acted as if bike was off with key out and you pushed a button. Let clutch out and bike rolled about 2 inches forward due to slope on road. Pulled in clutch and brake again and hit starter again. Fired right up. I tried to duplicate again a few times when I got home but it didn't happen. I routinely push all of the buttons and switches as well as spray contact cleaner to keep everything working. Ideas?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry. '05

·
Registered
507 Posts
When I want to stop and keep radio on but not the engine, I turn the key to ACC. That also turns off the headlights, saving battery. But all audio is working. I do this almost every time I stop to get gas. I have a key I cut to make a radio knob top for it and it sits in the fuel door all the time so I never need to remove the ignition key to refuel.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Maybe (???) weak battery................. When was the last time you had it tested??

·
Registered
2016 F6B Standard
114 Posts
I think your symptom description is confusing.
Stopped in 1st gear and put the side stand down to stop engine but wanted to keep tunes and GPS powered on. After the delay (about 10 minutes) I put side stand up pulled in the clutch and brake pushed the starter. Nothing. Dash lights didn't dim, no sounds etc. Almost acted as if bike was off with key out and you pushed a button.
The key is ON to listen to "sounds and GPS powered on." after 10 minutes, you raised center stand (closing the C.S. kill switch) pulled in the clutch (closing the Clutch kill switch), and when you pushed the starter button the "dash lights DIDN'T dim, no sound"...stopped or did not stop playing...GPS did or did not shut off???

If audio from the stereo stopped and your GPS lost power, you probably need to have the battery checked out. If everything stayed on and normal it's probably a "sticky" center stand or clutch kill switch.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think your symptom description is confusing.

The key is ON to listen to "sounds and GPS powered on." after 10 minutes, you raised center stand (closing the C.S. kill switch) pulled in the clutch (closing the Clutch kill switch), and when you pushed the starter button the "dash lights DIDN'T dim, no sound"...stopped or did not stop playing...GPS did or did not shut off???

If audio from the stereo stopped and your GPS lost power, you probably need to have the battery checked out. If everything stayed on and normal it's probably a "sticky" center stand or clutch kill switch.

SeaSteve I should have stated the GPS is an aftermarket Garmin 395LM. It didn't shut down or even act like power was interrupted. Bike acted just like it would if you turned ignition on but never tried to start. No lights dimmed and showing about 12.5 V on the voltmeter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts