GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yah the FOB should flash 3 times when connecting with the bike. It appears the FOB is in the shut off position with only 1 flash. I have had the FOB in my pocket and accidentally had the button pressed so it went from run to shut off position.

·
Registered
8,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yah the FOB should flash 3 times when connecting with the bike. It appears the FOB is in the shut off position with only 1 flash. I have had the FOB in my pocket and accidentally had the button pressed so it went from run to shut off position.
Looks like he is not pressing the button long enough to turn it on.:smile2:

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
You may not be able to turn off the
electrical system when losing the Honda
SMART Key while riding, or if the battery is
low, or because the system is affected by
strong radio waves or noise. If this occurs,
turn the ignition switch counterclockwise
and hold it until the electrical system shut
off.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I found out the hard way that you can't turn the bike off with out the fob near the motorcycle. I left the bike on (not running) and walked away. I put the key on my desk and went to turn off the bike and the electrics will not turn off. I returned with the fob and i was able to turn off the bike. I agree this might have something to do with your fob.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Premium Member
3,269 Posts
Corrected post, thanks.
Looks like his FOB is not communicating with the bike.:frown2:
Glad its not mine, he said its happened before.
I bet his dealer is scratching his head too.
This is similar to what has happened to me a couple of times, most recently at Disneyland when I came back to a dead battery. In my case the dash lights don't stay on but the rest of the electrical system does.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
I found out the hard way that you can't turn the bike off with out the fob near the motorcycle. I left the bike on (not running) and walked away. I put the key on my desk and went to turn off the bike and the electrics will not turn off. I returned with the fob and i was able to turn off the bike. I agree this might have something to do with your fob.
You should have been able to turn it off by holding the knob longer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Farmguy, I tried that, but all it did was beep at me.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
You should have been able to turn it off by holding the knob longer.
Farmguy, I tried that, but all it did was beep at me.
The beeping is normal. That's the steering-lock alert.
I just repeated it.

Started bike.
Shut off fob and carried it to out-of-range location
Shut off bike
- screen stays on, series of 'beeps', presumably warning about fob, but no screen indication
- tried 'on' and 'off' with knob;
-- screen stays on, but key warning light comes on both on screen and the top row idiot light and when wanring is displayed it repeats the series of beeps
- with the warning showing, held knob to 'off'
-- took about 4 or 5 seconds in the 'off' position before display shut down.

- once off, it did not respond to additional knob turns

·
Premium Member
3,269 Posts
I just repeated it.

Started bike.
Shut off fob and carried it to out-of-range location
Shut off bike
- screen stays on, series of 'beeps', presumably warning about fob, but no screen indication
- tried 'on' and 'off' with knob;
-- screen stays on, but key warning light comes on both on screen and the top row idiot light and when wanring is displayed it repeats the series of beeps
- with the warning showing, held knob to 'off'
-- took about 4 or 5 seconds in the 'off' position before display shut down.

- once off, it did not respond to additional knob turns
Ditto.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You may not be able to turn off the
electrical system when losing the Honda
SMART Key while riding, or if the battery is
low, or because the system is affected by
strong radio waves or noise. If this occurs,
turn the ignition switch counterclockwise
and hold it until the electrical system shut
off.
What you described is exactly what I had to do when I was having heat induced electronics issues. To get it to turn off, the important part is to turn it counter-clockwise and hold it there until it shuts down. It will likely beep at you while you're holding it. but just keep holding it while turned until it shuts off.

·
Vendor
22,066 Posts
From looking at the bike in the video, I'm going to guess that he has a low voltage problem. I'd start by tightening up the battery cable connections and then I'd load test the battery. And if I could get the bike started, I'd test the ISG output to make sure it is recharging the battery properly.

When the voltage starts to drop or a battery connection gets loose, it will cause all sorts of strange behavior like this. And since the ignition on/off function is controlled by the CAN bus, any loss of voltage will certainly hamper CAN bus communications.

I'd like to hear what the dealer finds, but I'm going to guess its a pretty simple fix, like tightening up a battery connection and/or replacing the battery.

·
Registered
8,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
From looking at the bike in the video, I'm going to guess that he has a low voltage problem. I'd start by tightening up the battery cable connections and then I'd load test the battery. And if I could get the bike started, I'd test the ISG output to make sure it is recharging the battery properly.

When the voltage starts to drop or a battery connection gets loose, it will cause all sorts of strange behavior like this. And since the ignition on/off function is controlled by the CAN bus, any loss of voltage will certainly hamper CAN bus communications.

I'd like to hear what the dealer finds, but I'm going to guess its a pretty simple fix, like tightening up a battery connection and/or replacing the battery.

Maybe a FOB battery?
When I watched the video, he was only getting 1 flash on his FOB, Battery or operator error.
The horn didn't sound when he pushed the call button.
He also said at :39 on the video, that the bike was beeping 5 beeps.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
3,269 Posts
Maybe a FOB battery?
When I watched the video, he was only getting 1 flash on his FOB, Battery or operator error.
The beep I hear on that video is the same beep I hear on my bike from the steering-lock alert.

·
Vendor
22,066 Posts
Maybe a FOB battery?

A bad FOB battery isn't going to make all the lights on the dash flash like they were. Take a look at the indicator that normally shows the ride mode, it is showing dashes. The bike is exhibiting serious electrical problems. My guess is that its a low voltage issue.

·
Registered
8,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A bad FOB battery isn't going to make all the lights on the dash flash like they were. Take a look at the indicator that normally shows the ride mode, it is showing dashes. The bike is exhibiting serious electrical problems. My guess is that its a low voltage issue.

I will interesting to find out.
I suspect a bad battery, there has been a rash of them.
I think the dealers arent properly charging them before delivery.:serious:

·
Registered
605 Posts
Inthewind, I think you are correct, and SOME dealerships nor Mother Honda will not stand behind a bad battery. My case is an example. New 2018 goldwing tour dct bought late March 2018. Ride almost daily. Used battery maintainer if Bike sat several days without cranking. At 6300 miles, went to ride and bike would turn over but not start. Had to call dealership who was 60 mikes away. Long story short, cost me $390.00, which included their trailering bike and new battery. Mother Honda would not replace battery under warranty. I do have a case of the red ass on both Honda and dealership. New battery solved problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts