GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope I didn't inconvience anyone of you when I laid my 05 CBC down on I-75 North in downtown Atlanta Saturday evening about 3:30 pm or so and stopped all lanes of traffic going north! That's an eeirie feeling when you look South and there's hundreds of auto just sitting there and then a look northward, there's nothing but open space. To make a looooong story short I was running the right track in the HOV lane when all traffic in front of me started skidding and the one just in front of me went side ways, smoke billowing, tires squealling. I managed to go to the right of him but there were no more open holes and I laid it down and jumped off, rolling left to the concrete barrier. I survived with a sprained wrist, burned holes on my thick leather jacket and multilayer trousers and holes in the toes of my riding boots. Lucky is not the word!!!! When I finally located my bike, it was sitting most comfortable UNDER a pickup truck. No word from the insurance company yet, but it sure didn't look rebuildable to me. Last time I saw it, it was on a rollback headed north on I-75. I climbed on the back of my brother's wing and we and the other 4 companions left for East Tennessee. Next time I go to Daytona Beach, I think I'll go via North/South Carolina!!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Glad to here you are ok... I'm sure you'll be riding again soon...

Melissa

·
Registered
927 Posts
The main thing is you are OK !
Thank God for that.
The rest will work out
Ken

·
Registered
378 Posts
Came through Atlanta on the way home from bike week(wife has bum leg,,we were in the car) and was really thankful I wasn't riding the wing that day. Monday about 2:30 and the traffic was awful. Glad you are able to talk about it.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I would of been scared of getting run over on that stretch of road.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Glad to hear you are lucky enough to tell us about it. Man, that would be scary......................

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Glad you were able to jump off of it. Every time I go down the bikes flip me like flipping a booger off the end of your finger. :roll:

Maybe ABS on your next bike. LOL....

Glad you're okay! :beer3:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Wannabe,
Glad to hear you're allright.
Rich K ( Wing Ski )

·
Registered
868 Posts
Red Said:
Every time I go down the bikes flip me like flipping a booger off the end of your finger.
You crack me up Red :lol:

Wannbee, glad your OK ---- it's easier to replace the bike than the rider --- Hope all works out.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I ride a lot of these bad roads around here a lot. Sorry it got you.......it's a bad area for bikes......and cars.....too many stupids on these roads.

Glad it wasn't worse.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
first off, glad you are ok,

but I have to ask about your statement "I laid it down and jumped off"

why would you lay down your bike? this is old school thinking. Never lay your bike down, once you do, you have lost control of the bike, and you. A bike on two wheels has some control, and can stop a lot faster than one sliding.

Did you have ABS?

If you did brake, and the bike went over, then why did it go down?

As I said before, most important thing is that you are ok. Have you ever taken an experienced rider course? How often did you practice emergency braking?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bike down in Atlanta

Yeah Kid,
Laying the bike down is a no brainer when you have no where else to go but under a pickup truck as I mentioned in the narrative...I'm just glad I had the expertise to lay it down and jump...I did a few Cycle Safety Courses in the military...had to to get a license for on base...ABS is good if you have enough room to use it, in this case I had zero room....Just hope you never have to do it....it's a scary situation!

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
The supposed rule is 1 car length for every 10 miles per hour, BUT,
if you even leave 2 feet per 10 miles per hour, somecuts into the
space in front of you. :evil: I still always try to see what is going on 2
cars in front of the one I follow. This scenario you experienced is why
we didn't even touch Atlanta coming from the South to Wingstock. It
cost us 2 extra hours driving, which is really frustrating, but I remember
285 being a Nascar track when I lived there in 1995.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts