GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In previous threads, I mentioned that the mileage on my '07 wing took a nosedive from the low 40s down to about 28 MPG. I had the bike at the stealer for a month for some warranty repairs. They claimed that they tested the fuel rail pressure, checked the plugs (good), etc. However, there was no evidence of the work on the work order.

I haven't had much of an opportunity to ride since I got the bike back two weeks ago. Last weekend, I rode two up on the twisties and noticed my mileage seemed to be better. So yesterday, I took a longer ride to Santa Cruz (65-70 MPH), up CA 1 to Pescadera and followed Pescadero Creek back to the bay area. I put on about 125 miles and still have nearly half a tank left. Previously, I would have been sucking fumes. So the problem has cleared up.

What can cause this? It would have to be something that would affect mileage without setting off the ECU light. The problem preventing me from starting the bike in gear turned out to be a corroded connector and I have had a few intermittent issues that I suspect to be related to connectors. I understand that this is not an uncommon problem with the Hitachi connectors Honda chose.

I don't know enough about the electrical system related to fuel and ignition to spot likely locations. Any ideas? I'm hoping one of the gurus will have some ideas. I would prefer to make sure the problem is fixed permanently rather than have it reappear later.

Thanks.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rocky,

The problem was NOT throttle position! When the fuel consumption went into the toilet, I had to start riding very conservatively. Made little difference, though. It is MISERABLE riding at 55 to coax a couple more miles out of a tank.

·
IronMan
17,811 Posts
Maybe something was stuck on o2 sensor or your tank kids were borrowing some fuel for the lawn mower did you reset the computer since then beleive you start it n dont touch throttle until fans come on ??

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe something was stuck on o2 sensor or your tank kids were borrowing some fuel for the lawn mower did you reset the computer since then beleive you start it n dont touch throttle until fans come on ??
Nobody was borrowing gas from the bike. My kids are grown and have their own homes. Mileage was consistently 28-30 MPG. Yes, I reset the ECU several times, but that only affects idle.

The timing is suspect. Mileage was consistently low for about 5 months. Took the bike in for some repairs and it sat in the shop for a month with the top shelter removed. They told me they did a lot of work checking for the problem, but the work order did not show a thing.

There is no proof, but I really think this was an electrical problem. So it will probably return unless I find the cause.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Rej,

You're not the only one. mine wasn't as bad as yours, but...

My mileage dropped to mid to low 30's.. 33, 34, 35. I was only getting 140 - 150 miles from a tank, and putting 5 gallons in or so.

I ride to work each day I can, about 20 miles each way, mostly back or rural roads, or small city. So no high speed runs, usually between 35 ish to 60 ish, depending on where I am, and where the local boys in blue are.

A couple of weeks ago, I started to get 40 MPG again. Go figure. No work on the bike. Same gas station. Same route, same riding habits. Maybe the blend finally got changed from winter blend to summer blend?

Beats me, but I'm happy to see 40ish back, even though it's in Honda miles, which are shorter than regular miles, as we know..

=Dave=
GWBBA #9
rocketmoto.com

·
Registered
307 Posts
And your 28-30 was over long hauls correct? Cause when I ride it as a commuter vehicle with no extended ride my milage goes into the mmm dumpster.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I understand no matter where you live in the US that the fuel refiners have different blends for different times of the year. I know that with the winter oxygenation enhanced (MTBE) I get TERRIBLE decreases in fuel mileage in ALL my vehicles. Is it possible that this is a contributor to your experience?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts