GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is 17 years old. Races MX in the B (intermediate) class. I was wanting to get him a bike so that he can go on rides with our group. He does not like a cruiser look so that leaves very few bikes I would feel comfortable putting him on. I did find a 2000 Bandit 600s, seems top heavy and looks like it might be easy to get into trouble on. What have all you fathers done in this situation?? He is a sensible kid but you all know it very easy to twist that throttle and get in trouble.
TIA Jerry

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
A good friend of mine rides a ST1300 and he got his 16 yr old son a suzuki vstom 650. Nice bike has bags and trunk . They both just got back from a 17 day 7600 mile trip out west and they had a blast. Check it out get good reviews.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I would suggest for the street something along the lines of the Suzuki V-strom 650. Excellent all-around bike IMHO as I had one and loved it. Plenty of power and will definitely leave dad in the dust on his Wing :) Handles everything well, is stable and no real bad habits. And, it's not crotch rocket crazy either. You can find a good used one for $3-45 I would think.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Another vote for the V-Strom or something similar. ST1300 or FJR is also a nice bike, but maybe a little much for a first street bike - although with your son's experience he'd probably be ok if he took his time getting used to the weight and power.

Nice that you want to hook him up and bring him along. :yes1:

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
Well now, I think I'll throw one more vote in for the WeeStrom 650. Very versatile machine that would fare well for your son. I have been eye balling one at my local dealership for about 2 months now and might just get my GW a stable mate. This way they can swap stories on those cold/foggy days that we get here in the winter that prohibit us from riding. :?

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
I have a PC800 for sale that I think would be great. Ride it coast to coast in almost Goldwing comfort. And no need to add bags because of the built in trunk. I have two and am keeping the one that I bought new and wish to sell the one that I bought a couple of years ago. PM me if you are interested.

·
Banned
939 Posts
I would concur with rustydust on the PC800. However, have never had a group of younger people too overwhelmed by it. Just wait till they get older and know what they are looking at though as it still turns heads with older Honda fans.

Just out of curiosity has your son chipped in any thoughts other than not wanting a "cruiser style"?

I too think the V Storm might do very nicely and serve him very well with your group and around town too with styling that his buds will envy with or without a top and side case set up.

I would recommends looking a 919 in your search just because I have too. Givi makes side and top case racks for them and they are sport naked but not overly crotch rocket styling. With a good windscreen and a 17 yr olds ability to take a not overly distance designed saddle, I am sure he could keep up with your pack and enjoy himself immensely doing a few stand up wheelies by your group on the flats, with your permission of course.

Have you let him drive your Wing yet? If so what does he think?

If I had to do it all over again I would have bought a Wing much sooner than I did and if I ever would have rode one in my teen years I think all my preconceived notions would have melted away in less than a half mile about the "old guys" bike concept.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
+1 again on The VStrom. It's a great bike, lots of aftermarket stuff available for it, and it is a very versatile bike. I had one and wish I still had it. It is a good tourer and is easy on maintenance and gasoline consumption. Also, the 650 VStrom has good power, but it's easy power, that is, easy to manage because it's not revvy. No problems keeping up with the big dogs. I wouldn't recommend a 919 for a beginning street rider. It's a hot number even though it's not a bonafide "crotch rocket," but it's very powerful and, IMO, not very suitable for a first street bike for someone whose only experience has been on dirtbikes. It's good experience, but not street riding.

·
Registered
391 Posts

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
My son is 16, He too races MX and is a B rider. He will be taking his m/c license class soon. He will then be allowed to ride my Nomad. I don't have to worry about him having a sport bike as long as he has access to my Nomad. His riding skills are probably better than mine, road knowledge will have to come as he rides with us.

·
Registered
128 Posts
VStrom is a great bike. Also look at the old BMW single F650GS (I love mine, trunk and large side case) or a Kaw Versys. All of these are good machines, give you about 50 horsepower and decent riding position and comfort. Anyone of them will keep up with the big boys on the superslab and give a decent ride to the operator. Remember too that all of these bikes, 40 years ago, would have been called "big bikes"....

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
The Suzuki SV650 is another good choice, and I believe it's available with ABS brakes. It's not as tall as the V-Strom and might be a little easier tohandle.

·
Registered
281 Posts
:?:
This is bike I bought my 18 year old son in May. It's listed as a "standard" bike, but they will certainly charge sport bike rates on insurance. It's a fun bike to ride. They're not easy to find. I bought a new 2009 for $3099 and it was the only one I found while out shopping.

Also, it's fairly tame but still able to run highway speeds. Personally, I'd rather have a bike with some sort of bags, but I'm not 18 like these young men are. Have fun shopping for a bike. It's a fun time!

·
Registered
391 Posts
:?:
they will certainly charge sport bike rates on insurance.
That is something I forgot... My son bought a
GSX-750 for his first bike, against my advice...
insurance was more than his car, girlfriend didn't want
to ride it, too uncomfortable for her... he got rid of it in
less than a year. I think if he had gotten a standard,
he'd still be riding.
But for a teen, the sport bikes are almost irresistible.
It appears that Honda no longer makes a standard bike,
like the Nighthawk 650 I used to have.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

Second hand Honda Nighthawks are reliable and reasonably priced. Anything from a 450 to a 750 are usually available on E-Bay.

Sent from my Ipood using both thumbs!

·
Registered
498 Posts
I agree on the nighthawk. I pickedone up this year (a 91) for my sons to ride. It is quick and has a bulletproof motor. It is a naked bike and you can set it up however you want.

·
Registered
19,062 Posts
An intermediate MX rider this age has some good skills and with good ole dad looking down should be able to handle a ST1300

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
V-Strom gets my vote too for a non-cruiser he can throw a couple bags on and do some touring.

You guys are WAY TO OLD!!! He aint gonna want no weE storm!!! Ride that bike in public & he will be ruint for LIFE!!! Face it!!! C R O U C H R O C K E T!!! If he rides motocross he will do FINE!!! (probably out ride DAD!!!)

1 HONDA F4I maybe a nakid F4 forgot the name but HE REALLY WANTS AN RR

2 kawaski pretty good bikes

3 yamaha not bad bikes

4 suzuki FRAGILE!!!!!!!

& YES I SWEATED OUT MANY A NITE!!!! (with MY SON!!!)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts