GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I've hauled Harley's in the back of pickups. It'd no different than hauling them on a flat bed trailer. Jam the front wheel into the front of the bed, soft ties around the lower tripple trees, compress the forks completely and you're good to go. If you're going long distances, I'd tie off the rear at the crash bars just so the rear end doesn't move laterally. BTW, if you want more straps, put them on... it's just that you don't need any more than the two in front.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Are you sure that you want to compress the front shocks.

There has been some information, on this site, that by compressing the front shocks, in transit, you could damage the fork seals.

Many of the new devices, for transporting bikes, lock in the front wheel without having to compress the front shocks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not have a wheel chock. I would think I'd have to compress the shocks if this is how I am going to haul it.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
ytownmac said:
Are you sure that you want to compress the front shocks.

There has been some information, on this site, that by compressing the front shocks, in transit, you could damage the fork seals.

Many of the new devices, for transporting bikes, lock in the front wheel without having to compress the front shocks.
First, you will not hurt the dust seals, or any seal for that matter, by compressing the forks all the way... unless you're strong enough to copmpress them in a nanosecond. Doing it that quickly might damage seals. Compressing them with ratchet tie downs won't hurt a thing - BTDT.

Yes, definately, you need to compress the forks all the way - unless you are using the wheel chocks that keep the bike upright and NOT using any tie downs.

If you use tie downs and don't compress the shocks all the way, the shocks will bottom while you travel. They will also rebound. That's the problem. The rebound puts a lot of stress (shock loading) on the tie downs, soft ties, D-rings and lower tripple tree.

Lastly, it's your bike... do whatever you want with it. LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts