GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently, my Valk is plated and insured in Canada (ON), but when I get my new Wing in Jan or Feb, I'll be getting it plated and insured in Florida.

I'd like to hear from any Florida riders about their pros and/or cons about various insurance companies in the state. Im not really interested in any long-winded tales of woe..., just your views on who to consider for insurance. Right now, it looks like it might be Geico (on-line quote of $815) or Progressive (no quote yet), but Im sure there are others worth considering.

Objective comments are appreciated...

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
try Allstate thats where I have mine insured they beat progressive

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
I use State Farm for my vehicles. Geico & Progressive can't touch them in price. Never a service problem over the years with State Farm either.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
I use State Farm in Florida... Just under $500 for new GL1800 is what was quoted for me with full coverage....

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have Progressive, 3 bikes, 2 drivers $850.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Geico Direct. 2 bikes with full coverage under $600 a year. I got a similar quote from Progessive,but decided to stick with Geico.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
FireEater, about SF. If you don't have medical coverage (which is only $5K) for you or your passenger. SF doesn't cover the passenger, period!

If you don't think so, just ask. You will be surprised at their answer. They won't tell you unless you ask.

Most insurance companies only cover the bike and accessories if you have the additional coverage. At least it is this way in Florida.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks

Thanks guys. I'll be looking long and hard at insurance, so thanks for the comments. This at least gives me some benchmarks to deal with.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have Progressive for $422 per year, here in Ocala. This is fro full coverage on my 2003 1800.

·
Registered
549 Posts
progressive........ 350 bucks on a 2005 and even after i wrecked my 96 1500... rates only went up 40 bucks..... they came thru in the pinch and came to the house to do the estimate.... caught details i would have never thought had been damaged..... handed me a check and was on their way.... the process couldnt have been smoother......

the real test of an insurance company is what they do when the claim has been submitted....... and these people were top of the line for me 8)

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Wingman,

State Farm told me they offer NO medical coverage on bikes...I have other med insurance so I was not worried about it and only one I ride 2 up with is wife...and she has med ins. as well..

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Progressive Insurance was about $475 a year for full coverage if I declined the "Uninsured driver" which I did here in St. Lucie County.

Keep in mind that motorcycle insurance is not required on motorcycles ridden in the state of Florida.

How else can these teenagers and twenty-nothings afford their rocket-bikes... :shock:

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
cptdenny said:
... Keep in mind that motorcycle insurance is not required on motorcycles ridden in the state of Florida..
I think the "fine print" about that says not required if you wear a helmet
... if you choose NOT to wear a helmet and get pulled over, you have to prove you have insurance, or may be just medical insurance ...
but some kind of insurance.

it's a bit whacky ...
because then they have these draconian insurance regulations that almost make it cost prohibitive for many people.

Dennis

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
cptdenny,

You are right! motorcycle insurance in Florida isn't mandatory but don't think for one minute that if the rider riding w/o liability insurance won't be sued. Guess again! If it is a kid and under 21 his parents can be sued on his behalf. May be losing their home. cars and wages for a very long time. Is it worth it to save a few $$$$$? I don't think so.

Sure could screw up your life.....and your future

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
wingman57 said:
cptdenny,

You are right! motorcycle insurance in Florida isn't mandatory but don't think for one minute that if the rider riding w/o liability insurance won't be sued. Guess again! If it is a kid and under 21 his parents can be sued on his behalf. May be losing their home. cars and wages for a very long time. Is it worth it to save a few $$$$$? I don't think so.

Sure could screw up your life.....and your future
Wingman57, I wasn't suggesting not to carry insurance. I was giving a warning that others are not. :shock:

I don't want to get hit by one of these idiots...

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
What do most of you consider "full coverage"? I carry bodily injury liability 100K/300K; property damage liability 50K non deductable; motorcycle medical payments, 200 dollar deductable; uninsured motorist-stacked, each person/each accident 100K/300K; comprehensive, 500 dollar deductable; and collision, 500 dollar deductable.
The largest expense on my coverage is the Uninsured Motorist coverage. That alone is 600 bucks a year on each of my bikes. :(

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Airborne06 said:
What do most of you consider "full coverage"? I carry bodily injury liability 100K/300K; property damage liability 50K non deductible; motorcycle medical payments, 200 dollar deductible; uninsured motorist-stacked, each person/each accident 100K/300K; comprehensive, 500 dollar deductible; and collision, 500 dollar deductible.
The largest expense on my coverage is the Uninsured Motorist coverage. That alone is 600 bucks a year on each of my bikes. :(
not trying to be a wise guy here but
That is a hard to answer question in the "general" sense.
... it's about, how much can you afford to lose?

The bottom line is "it all depends on YOUR net worth".

If you've got more than a few mil in the bank you'd better have insurance to cover it cause someone will be coming after it.

If ALL you own is THE BIKE ... then minimums will probably be more than enough.

somewhere in-between is the answer.

Dennis

1 - 20 of 23 Posts