GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Saturday I got the first real miles (625) on my inaugural CT. Spent the first 100 miles searching for the shoulder of the Yoko RF as I rolled into turns, but never could feel it. By the time I gave that up and accepted that the transition was smooth I had realized something else equally noteworthy; no one else in the world had any traction, because I HAD IT ALL! Both the Yoko and the G709 were the stickiest tires I had ever run, and the bike was more planted than it had ever been in it's life. I quit thinking/worrying about what was different/new and just started riding. Normally, if a curve is rated 40 mph I go in at about 60-62; that's brisk enough to be fun but leaves some cushion in case I encounter something unseen/unexpected once in the turn. With the new setuo however, it was no time until I was going in at 70 with the same level of control/confidence as at 60 on the previous tire setup. Another thing that was not as expected was that my riding buddy who was following said the rear tire was keeping the entire contact patch on the pavement until I reached about 15 degrees of lean, then it would begin to slightly pick up the outside edge of the tire so that he could just begin to see a little light under it. So far there are several new positives to the new setup, one change that is going to take a riding adjustment, but no deal killers - positives significantly outweigh the negative so far. At this point there will not be a slightly used CT on the sale block. Have a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day weekend!

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
:congrats: and Welcome to the DARKSIDE....... :flg:
Don't forget to get your # an Decal....

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Welcome to the Darkside!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
53 Posts
you'll appreciate it even more in the wet!

SCOTT

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
thats why we run them :bow::bow::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Yes indeed, those two tires together make up my favorite touring combo. They stick exceptionally well and are also a fantastic wet traction combo. ​Way better than the Alpin........oops did I say that......lol.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Pavement

WELCOME to the Darkside. The more miles, the more smiles. Good luck. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
11 Posts
ride on the darkside

I've been riding a '98 Valkyrie for about 6 years and have been DS for most of that. I love it on the Valk, looks like it's working on the 1800 as well but I haven't made a choice yet to which brand

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I really like my Alpin when I am riding with the wife and pulling the trailer....but when riding by myself I have to really pay attention to the throttle and remember to soften rear suspension or it gets really squirrely....it does help when I run tire pressure up around 40 though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts