GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched tires from the 70 to 60 (stock size) and I still need a 2x4 under the sidestand to keep it from leaning over too far. First gold wing I've had and don't know if this is normal or if there is a fix for it other than a 2x4. Without the board it leans over far enough so there is alot of pressure on side stand. When it's hot I can just see it going through the tar. It seems about right with a 2x4. Do they make and extension or a longer side stand? Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I don't think anyone does, but here is a possible solution.

I took two trike take-off kickstands and cut them into two pieces. One of them I cut the top half 3\4 of an inch longer. Then I had a welder friend put the longer top with the longer bottom. Does that make sense? It worked fine. I guess there's no reason you couldn't cut the longer top to one inch longer.

After the weld, a little grinding and some black paint and bingo.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea. I didn't think of the trike builders. I bought a rear tire and brake takeoff from them, but yeah they wouldn't need the side stand either. Thanks, I'll start looking for some sidestands and do that. Jim

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I have the same condition. The side stand is bent. You can tell it is bent by retracting it and notice the distance from the foot to the side of the bike. I bent mine by climbing on the bike like a drunk gorilla pulling itself out of a dumpster.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I had this issue with my side stand..

Put your bike on the center stand.
Extend the side stand.
Grab the bottom of the stand moving it in an up down movement..
Watch the free play,"It should only move 1/4 inch up/down"
If you have more than that?-you found the reason why you bike is leaning over more now than when new..

I've had four wings,and this 1800 is the first on to give me a loose side stand..

The problem is the side stand wears against the mounting bracket..It actually makes a groove as it wears causing the bike to lean more as it wears away the metal from both parts..It also wears out the center bolt that holds the side stand in the bracket as well..

I bought a couple "Complete trike take off side stand/brackets to frame" for spares..You'd be surprised how the bike will stand up with a new side stand.

BTW:
My progressive fork springs did raise my bike an inch-That is when I found the side stand had worn that much from when new..

·
The Boss
1,289 Posts
Had that problem with my Valkyrie. Took it to a welder, he cut it, added in 1 1/2" right above the foot... problem solved.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Whatever you do, make sure that you don't change it so that the bike is sitting TOO upright on the sidestand -- a strong wind in the wrong direction and the bike will be laying on its side. I really like for mine to lean on the sidestand, thus it much less likely that this can occur.

I had a Valkyrie and boy, it really leaned over on the sidestand -- you just made sure that you did not park it with the sidestand downhill on a slope or it was sure heavy to lift back to center.

I always thought that the 1800 Wing did not lean enough on the sidestand and I am always careful to park it with a slight slope or perfectly level -- again, always wanting to avoid the wind blowing it over.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
BTW:
My progressive fork springs did raise my bike an inch-That is when I found the side stand had worn that much from when new..
Yup...my experience too...amazing how much the OEM springs had sagged

The Progressives are nice

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had this issue with my side stand..

Put your bike on the center stand.
Extend the side stand.
Grab the bottom of the stand moving it in an up down movement..
Watch the free play,"It should only move 1/4 inch up/down"
If you have more than that?-you found the reason why you bike is leaning over more now than when new..

Mine moves 3/4". Need a new one. Any email addresses, phone numbers of trike builders? Thanks for the info.. I imagine if it gets bad enough it would break, and down goes your bike. Jim

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Mine moves 3/4". Need a new one. Any email addresses, phone numbers of trike builders? Thanks for the info.. I imagine if it gets bad enough it would break, and down goes your bike. Jim

I found my spares on ebay..I see you already posted looking for trike builder info..

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just took mine apart and the hole is elongated at the bracket and bar holes but the bolt doesn't have any grooves in it. Looks structurally sound until I can find another one. Yes, right after reading your post I put up the question about trike builder addresses.. Didn't find any on eBay, looked for a side stand when I was going to weld two together. Probably won't have to do that after I get a new stand and the Rivco bottom pad. Going to silicone grease the new parts and maybe that will slow down on the wear. Must be really soft metal to wear like that. You wouldn't think that it would wear out, nothing spins, just goes up and down? Jim

·
Registered
758 Posts
Side stand lean

When I put the 70 series on my 2002 I added 1 1/4 inches into the side stand and it set pretty upright and then had the rear shock rebuilt by Traxxion and now it is just right with the extra height of the rear shock.
Switched everything over to the 2007 last July and it is the same on the 2007.
I just welded in a piece if 5/8 stock just below the spring hook.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I bent mine by climbing on the bike like a drunk gorilla pulling itself out of a dumpster.
I just got to know PC, WHERE did you see this gorilla??? :shrug:

Where there "natural herbs" involved at the time??? Were you and the gorilla both drunk at the time??? :joke:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the rear shock down to the -0- setting ?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts