GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 68 and fighting kidney cancer that has invaded my lower back, and am no longer able to even try to get the GL1800 on it's center stand:superman1::frown:.

I'd like to find a stand or jack that would be easy so slide in place, to raise the bike - hold it straight up - enough to do oil changes, wheel cleaning, etc. I don't have room for a full lift like the dealer has, so need something fairly compact and portable.

Or I could try one of the shorter center stands that allow use of reverse to put the bike on the stand:?:

Suggestions:?:

Thanks,

·
Registered
280 Posts
Putting bike on centerstand

I had my right knee replaced about four months ago. At first I was unable to put any pressure on my knee. I found out if I took a one inch board and taper the end and just drove the bike with the rear wheel on the board it does not take any strength to put it on the center stand. A GL1500 seems much harder to do than the 1800. I took a 2 inch board and tapered the end and also had a two inch board to put under the side stand to hold the bike until I got off. It was nothing to put it on the center stand. Try this and I don't think you will have any problem.

·
Registered
487 Posts
db,
I think with your limitations the safe way to go would be a Pitbull lift, either manual or air(if available). Its a very stable lift. Its heavy thou, but not so much to just roll around. Not cheap compared to others. But I would recommend it with your medical condition. I do have one and have confidence with it.
Good luck with your decision.. Just punch in Pitbull lift in the search function.
David

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Using a board to get the rear wheel up enough to use the center stand may be just the answer. Great suggestion:congrats: I'll give it a try!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
db,
I think with your limitations the safe way to go would be a Pitbull lift, either manual or air(if available). Its a very stable lift. Its heavy thou, but not so much to just roll around. Not cheap compared to others. But I would recommend it with your medical condition. I do have one and have confidence with it.
Good luck with your decision.. Just punch in Pitbull lift in the search function.
David
I'll check this out, as well.

Thanks again!!:bow:

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
The Pitbull is fairly heavy and you probably would need some help with assembly.

One drawback is that your floor needs to be level for the jack to roll. If your floor has 3/8 variance in 6 feet, the 'bull might get hung.

It is a very good product.

·
Registered
253 Posts
center stand

---Baker Wings has a replacement centerstand. You use reverse to get it up on the stand. Nice thing about that is. Its with you all the time.:superman1::biker:

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'm 68 and fighting kidney cancer that has invaded my lower back, and am no longer able to even try to get the GL1800 on it's center stand:superman1::frown:.

I'd like to find a stand or jack that would be easy so slide in place, to raise the bike - hold it straight up - enough to do oil changes, wheel cleaning, etc. I don't have room for a full lift like the dealer has, so need something fairly compact and portable.

Or I could try one of the shorter center stands that allow use of reverse to put the bike on the stand:?:

Suggestions:?:

Thanks,
DB, I am not going to clean your bike for you, but I will change your oil for free if you want to ride down here. I see you are from Bloomington. I am about an hour and a half south of you. Just below interstate 64 on highway 37.

I have the type of lift you are looking for. If you come down, I will let you use it, and show you the "do's and donts" with it. That way you will know if its what you want or not. Bring your oil and filter and we can change it on my big lift.......

Just PM me if you want to take me up on the offer......

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DB, I am not going to clean your bike for you, but I will change your oil for free if you want to ride down here. I see you are from Bloomington. I am about an hour and a half south of you. Just below interstate 64 on highway 37.

I have the type of lift you are looking for. If you come down, I will let you use it, and show you the "do's and donts" with it. That way you will know if its what you want or not. Bring your oil and filter and we can change it on my big lift.......

Just PM me if you want to take me up on the offer......
Sonny :congrats:WOW!! Now that is why this list works!! Thanks for the kind offer. I'm going to try the board under the center stand first, but would like to see your lift. Supposed to snow tomorrow so it may be a few days before the wing hits the road again, but I'll pm you and plan to visit and to say THANKS in person.:thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts