GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a bike table lift and many say the HF one works great for them. However I came across this one doing a search for table lifts and wondered if anyone ever heard of them before.

http://tinyurl.com/dcctma

Or has anyone found a good reasonably priced hydraulic table lift someplace else?

Teddyb3
aka Dan

·
Registered
230 Posts
bike lift

Check out Direct Lift from Greg Smith equipment....Google it....I have one it is air operated and much better than the one you are looking at...Jim

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Specs say that it is only 6.5ft long. No way you are going to get a GW on that. My HF platform lift had to be lengthened by 10 inches to get the GW on the center stand once I got it on the table. Also buying a lift for using it only a few times a year why pay out the nose for one. If you are going to use it 2 or 3 times a month then get the expensive one. I've used mine maybe 6 times in the last year for two bikes.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Last year I decided to plunk down the extra dollars and bought a made-in-the-US Handy Lift. It's more expensive but you get what you pay for and I'm really glad I went for this 'professional' lift. When the bike is raised you can step on and off the table with out feeling like you're going to tip the whole thing over.

I got this one:
http://www.handyindustries.com/shop/product_view.asp?idProduct=829&D=1&S=21
with the 12" side extensions.

Any regrets? Yes, one. I regret that I waited years too long.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have the Direct Lift XLT. It works great for the Wing and just about every project I tackle.

We even used it to load my friends GL1800 in his pickup.

This is the most useful tool I have bought for a long time.

Harvey

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Teddy...

Haven't heard about the one you listed, so can't give you comments good or bad.

However... you may be interested in the one I bought last year. I am completely satisfied with it, and have had no problems at all. Gotta thank 5Ross for giving me the heads-up on it.

Check out the thread listed below for more info (my comments on it are at the end of the thread):

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178259

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like a great lift BUT What I am looking for right now is a hydraulic lift table. I can't use one that needs air pressure. I may get one of those type in the future when I rebuild my wrecked 1500 (wife loved the bike so much that she wants it redone after the accident).

The one I get will be used mainly for maint. and cleaning. When I get a second one it will be for major work on a bike.

Just to let you all know. All my life I have been a Mechanic and used to really enjoy working on cars. Now I enjoy bikes and will be leaving the Auto industry in the near future for a job that will be easier on the body BUT want to still be able to work on a bike in my spare time so I can get back to enjoying working as a mechanic.

Teddyb3
aka Dan

·
Registered
200 Posts
The HF one is fine, I have the air/hydraulic. It will work by foot pump or air. its exactly like the foot pump model just 2 way and about 100 bucks more. I got mine hardly used like new off craigslist about 18 months ago for $200. Has steel wheels, when I bring home a new clunker to tinker on the steel wheels roll nice on concrete to push outside to degrease and wash then roll back in. I had my 78 Goldwing on it for 3 months 2' off the floor resting on the safty lock, no problem. The foot pump only model is about $200, can't go wrong for a home shop. Use the savings on more useless bling on the GL1800:joke:

The one in your link has no wheels?

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Ahhh.. ok, sorry Teddy. Missed the 'hydraulic' need in your post. Skipped right over it. :oops:

If you don't necessarily need a table... I've heard nothing but good things about the Pit Bull lifts. Bulldog sells them on his site.

:)

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
I have had good luck with the Direct lift (it is pneumatic, not hydraulic) for both the wings and four wheelers. It is also a handy side table when not being used as a lift. (good excuse to also get a small compressor)
I have the drop tail model, and have found the drop is to far back for the wing with the tire vise in the standard position. Either redrill for the supplied tire vise, or adapt to a drive on wheel chock like those used in trailering applications.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Heads up on the Handy Lift. I bought the BOB model which is supposed to be their best. The bearings are so loose that the inner race just turns on the shaft which will undoubtedly wear the shaft ends off eventually, and render it useless. They would not honor their guarantee. Your better off buying Chinese at half the price. At least you know what your getting.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After alot of thought I decided to get one from HF. For the time being it will work out. Once we move then I can setup my garage the way I want it and will get a second lift table. Thanks for all the input.

Teddyb3
aka Dan

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Another Pit Bull. Get the trun table.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts