GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'am a new wing owner. I had a vtx1800c that I serviced myself. I need to know if I can get an adapter so i came use my lift. I would like to clean the rim's with out getting me in the water around MY GORDWING.
Or will it be OK to lift it on exhaust headers and case.

·
Registered
761 Posts
You did not say what kind of lift you have. I have the sears craftsman and it works fine. You get one "arm" under the pivot for the center stand and the other arm on the bottom of the engine. Works fine. :D

·
Registered
761 Posts
Here's a copy of some other posts on the subject -

1786.9 in reply to 1786.1

I have the new Craftsman jack and the way to lift a 1800 Goldwing is one of the rubber padded lift rest on the jack has to be position to lift under the round pivot part of the center stand. So when I lift it only side of jack lifts center of engine and the other is lifting on pivot of centerstand. Hope this helps and make sure to use straps to secure it.

1786.17 in reply to 1786.1

I have the harbor fright jack. It is real simalar to the craftsman.
Pump up the suspension all the way.
I push my jack in from the right side while the bike is on the side stand. Center one pad across the hinge points of the center stand. The other one will be on the oil pan. Take two pieces of one by four by 4inches long ( makes it allot more stable) and place them on either side of the rib in the oil pan and jack away. When you let it down be sure to put your kick stand back down first. You shouldn't have any trouble

1786.23 in reply to 1786.1

Like some of the others here I used the Craftsman cicle jack with one "tongue" under the center stand hinge and the other one forward under the engine. I also used four straps, two on the front crash bars and two on the rear. The bike was in the air for two weeks like this while I removed the wheels for new rubber, changed brake pads, and other pm. To make it easier getting the jack under the Wing I rode the back wheel up onto a 2" high wooden ramp and put a piece of 2x4 under the side stand. That gave me enough clearance to slide the jack right under.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It seems most GL 1800 owners lift the bike using the center stand floded up for the rear lift point and the bottom of the engine case for the front. I sense you have discovered that the center stand pushes up against the exhaust pipe. Apparently this works fine for most owners but I did not care for the idea of pushing on the exhaust. Additonaly the engine case is not flat an therefore allowing possible movement when elevated.

I could not find an adapter to buy (which as I mentioned tells me most owners don't use one) so I made my own. I then had to make a ramp affair to run the bike on to creat enough clearance to use the adapter.

My lift is from Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Hey ROK,

Can you post a pic of your adapter and ramp afair? I'm interested in what you came up with...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bike Lift

I am a lucky man. My wife got me the pnematic air lift from pit bull for christmas. I like the fact that it lifts the 1800 25" off the ground .It makes it a lot easier for me to clean the wheels and underside of the bike.
The bike seems to be real stable on it. The jack is rated at 12 tons.
The wheels are very nice I can roll the jack and bike around with no problem. As i said I am a very lucky man. :D :D :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bike lift

Thanks for all the info. I have the harbor freight one. Worked very good on the X I had. I would also like to see pic's of that adaptor.

·
Registered
729 Posts
johnnie said:
I'am a new wing owner. I had a vtx1800c that I serviced myself. I need to know if I can get an adapter so i came use my lift. I would like to clean the rim's with out getting me in the water around MY GORDWING.
Or will it be OK to lift it on exhaust headers and case.
I use a Pitt Bull http://www.pitbullmotorcyclelifts.com/ you must have a Tulsa Belly pan on your bike to use it or buy adapter from PB.

This lift is extremely stabil and you can easily roll the bike around also you do not need to tie the bike down. Its great for cleaning the wheels, it lifts the bike up about 1000' (just kidding) but it does get it high enough to easliy work on the wheels while sitting on a normal chair. I have the air model but usually just use the hand pump.

If I had the money and room I would also purchase a Handy Lift
http://www.handy-lift.com/ these are one of or the best built table lifts out there.

I looked at the table lift that Harbor Freight sells and I took a pass, I think it would be good for a moped or mini bike but not for my wing.

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts