GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I turned the key this morning and the bike was in Reverse. I may have turned it off in Reverse yesterday when I got home. I pushed the button but it wouldn't go out of reverse. It's in gear, but the shift lever won't do anything, I can't make it click up or down. The clutch doesn't work, even if I pull in the clutch the bike won't roll. Basically the thing is completely frozen. HELP!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
If the orange light is staying on, it sounds like the contacts are stuck in the reverse switch. Go to Radio Shack and get a can of electronic cleaner. Spray it into the crack around the reverse switch and work the switch in and out.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It kind of sounds like there is enough pressure on the reverse mechanism that it won't drop out, Perhaps if you turn the key on, open the reverse switch (un-press it) and rock the bike a bit, it might free up enough to drop out?

Maybe?

=Dave=
Rocketmoto.com

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Went back and re-read your original post. Once you have the key turned on and the Reverse switch in the Off position, can you rock it back and forth in attempt to get light to go out? Otherwise, like kickedback said, the switch itself may be causing the issue.

You beat me to it Dandy Dave;)

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Try pressing the corners/flicking at the end of the reverse button to get it to release.

The switch itself is deep in the cluster.So I doubt spraying near the button will get to where it needs to go to free it up.
It usually requires taking the cluster apart to get at the switch to free it up.

I have read about guys accidently hitting the reverse button.

The bike will not move at all when it is in the depressed position.many guys use it as a parking brake.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,370 Posts
The reason you can't move the shifter is because it's in reverse. The reverse system locks the shift drum in the neutral position so you can't put it into gear accidently while you are backing up. I'm at work without my schematics, I'll check back after I get home to see if you have gotten it out of reverse.

·
Registered
546 Posts
It happened to me a couple of years ago

I was parked in my barn and it was doing the same thing the battery also ran down with key off I pushed the reverse button on and off several times and rocked the bike nothing helped. I charged the battery and pushed reverse button and rocked bike got it to work. 2 weeks later it did the same thing at a friends house, first thing I did was look at reverse button and it was in the off position, battery ran down with no key in ignition. Shop picked it up attached good battery and got it to move, couldn,t find anything wrong. They installed a new battery and I have had no problem. Had a write up about it in Gwrra Stu Olson he thought I might have had an aftermarket windshield that was large enough to bump reverse. I wasn,t too impressed with his answer. I purposely left bike in reverse over night with key off and it wouldn't run new battery down.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I turned the key this morning and the bike was in Reverse. I may have turned it off in Reverse yesterday when I got home. I pushed the button but it wouldn't go out of reverse. It's in gear, but the shift lever won't do anything, I can't make it click up or down. The clutch doesn't work, even if I pull in the clutch the bike won't roll. Basically the thing is completely frozen. HELP!!
I always put mind in reverse every time I get off of her, it’s because of the geology of where I live, and I got into the habit of always doing it...

So far it has never done as yours is doing??? Thank goodness...

First off are you parked on a hill or grade???

If so, this may be the cause of your bike locking you in reverse???

Have you tried starting your bike???

If not, push the reverse button so it comes out and start your bike and bush the reverse button in again and try and back up your bike, if it backs up ok push the button again and see if it will come out of reverse???

If it does back up for you ok and you are on a hill or grade apply your brake as soon as you let go of the reverse switch so your bike will not lock up again...

Hopefully it will be something this simple???

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
To me, sounds like the common stuck reverse switch. Like a previous poster said, try flicking the switch off from the corners and also try doing so with only partly depressing the switch. Fred's site shows how to dismantle the switch, clean it, re-lube, and re-assemble.

prs

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I believe this was discussed yesterday and the BAD habit of using reverse as a parking brake is exactly what I said it would do.

My guess is that you will have to have it towed to a dealership to get the GW mechanic to get it out of reverse, providing the gears are not stuck in place. It will be a $600 learning experience if the reverse gears have to be replaced.

I was told years ago that this can and will happen if the reverse is used as a parking brake. That is not what it was designed for.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have seen at least three causes for the Goldwing not to come out of reverse. :eek:4:

1. Stuck reverse switch. Disassemble, clean, and lube.
2. Pressure on the gears. Rock the bike back and forth to release pressure.
3. Weak or dead battery. Check voltage level, charge, or replace battery.

Best Wishes and God Bless.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Keeping an eye on this thread to see what the outcome is. Hope it's nothing serious.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,370 Posts
Yep, weak batteries and using reverse to park is a good mix for trouble. The reverse system uses only battery power to come back out because you can't start the engine for the alternator to help with the actuator's load.

·
Registered
338 Posts
First off, never use reverse as a park brake. That is engaging the starter gear. Is is best to use first gear as a park brake.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Guys it may be proper protocol to use your first (1st) gear and not use the reverse as a parking break, but as I said in post #9 I do and will continue doing so...

My reasoning...

New bike less that 2500 miles on her August 08 and was going out to CA. on a three week vacation and as part of my plans was to ride old route 66 form Kingman AZ. over through Oatmen AZ. before going on into CA...

I stopped on a steep up hill curve to take some pictures of the land below just east of Oatman...

As I was standing beside of the left side of my bike just at the rear of my trunk, that I had put in first (1st) gear as I was told be some experts to use as a breaking system, taking pictures east, now my bike was almost behind me, she started moving backwards and kinda leaning up against me as she moved back, yep the engine was turning over backwards, the temperature was a cool 107 degree and the side stand was digging a trench into the asphalt about 2" deep until I got back a hold of her but she went over on her right side, no not the crash bars either, on the right side and tore up the whole right side of my brand new bike sliding down across the road for about five feet before I got her stopped...

A brand new Goldwing is not very pretty laying completely over on her side with her tires sticking up in the air sliding across the road, it's kinda makes you real sick...

Form just behind the headlight all the way back to the trunk and everything inbetween was damaged...

just the mirror cost over $250 not to mention everything else that got tore up...

Second time was at a restaurant with a slight grade to the parking spot, I backed in and again did as I was told, put it in first as a brake, wile inside I saw my bike slowly moving forward until the side stand went up and she went over, thank goodness she went down on her crash bars this time...

Nope I'll never do that again...

I have four more years on my warranty so It's a lot cheaper to have a gear worked on or replaced under warranty than it is to all the plastic on the side replaced again...

Yep contrary to most popular believes and to all that say I'm doing wrong by using my reverse as a parking break, I will continue doing as I do, at lease until my warranty runs out...

You do as you please...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Guys it may be proper protocol to use your first (1st) gear and not use the reverse as a parking break, but as I said in post #9 I do and will continue doing so....
Have to say, Card, my own takeaway from these events would be something other than to use Reverse as a parking brake.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Guys it may be proper protocol to use your first (1st) gear and not use the reverse as a parking break, but as I said in post #9 I do and will continue doing so...

My reasoning...

New bike less that 2500 miles on her August 08 and was going out to CA. on a three week vacation and as part of my plans was to ride old route 66 form Kingman AZ. over through Oatmen AZ. before going on into CA...

I stopped on a steep up hill curve to take some pictures of the land below just east of Oatman...

As I was standing beside of the left side of my bike just at the rear of my trunk, that I had put in first (1st) gear as I was told be some experts to use as a breaking system, taking pictures east, now my bike was almost behind me, she started moving backwards and kinda leaning up against me as she moved back, yep the engine was turning over backwards, the temperature was a cool 107 degree and the side stand was digging a trench into the asphalt about 2" deep until I got back a hold of her but she went over on her right side, no not the crash bars either, on the right side and tore up the whole right side of my brand new bike sliding down across the road for about five feet before I got her stopped...

A brand new Goldwing is not very pretty laying completely over on her side with her tires sticking up in the air sliding across the road, it's kinda makes you real sick...

If that happened to me I probably would use reverse, also.:-(

I think maybe the Cardinal was trying to get out of the 107 degree heat!!!!:eek:4:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts