GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently installed my Bike MP3 and not happy with volume. How can I increase the volume of music? Is it done when transferring to hard drive/downloading from internet? I would like to be able to have my musicloaded at a consistent volume so I'm not always turning it up or down with each song. I can barely hear the music when riding even at slower speeds and not worth it at highway speeds.

With my I-pod nano I turn the nano volume to max and have no problems. I know its something I can change but just don't know how. TIA:bow:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sounds like you are looking for the same sound level from each mp3. This is normally done with your software program when ripping. I am told some of the programs will allow you to do batch sound leveling after ripping but can't tell you which ones will.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
No... I understand what he's saying. The volume level is significantly lower with the BikeMP3 interface. It's not just the quality of the MP3's. I use the one for my Zumo and the MP3's and Cell-phone calls are all very quiet compared to regular volume of the stereo/CB/Intercoms.

It's really bad when I have the volume turned all the way up just to hear a phone call and I forget to turn the volume down before the call terminates... as a result, I get "BLASTED" by the volume when it switches back over.

I'd love a fix for this too.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
out of all the ones sold and talked about......this is a first. you may wanna go back and check your connection and make sure everything is clean.....look for a bent pin. Double check that mute switch...this happened to me and sounds exactly as you describe.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Scott, I am not sure if this is what you are talking about or not.

I had a volume level that would go from very quiet on one song to very loud on the next. In an attempt to fix this I downloaded a free program call "MP3Gain". It allows a bulk adjustment of all of the songs you select at one time, or, you can adjust them one at a time.

If this is not what you were talking about, sorry. Please disregard.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
After re-reading sdlyon5's post... it seems we do have separate issues.

His is dealing with the varying volume levels of each song... mine is dealing with the general "lower" volume level of everything (but mostly the cell phone, via Zumo bluetooth) coming through the AUX with the BikeMP3 GPS Interface attached.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
After re-reading sdlyon5's post... it seems we do have separate issues.

His is dealing with the varying volume levels of each song... mine is dealing with the general "lower" volume level of everything (but mostly the cell phone, via Zumo bluetooth) coming through the AUX with the BikeMP3 GPS Interface attached.
Looking at posts about your bike from May 2011 you have said that you have the BikeMP3 MIC interface this has nothing to do with the volume of the incoming phone calls or GPS music output your issue is in your GPS and phone as the BikeMP3 interface only connects the microphone output to the GPS and not the audio output to the bike, the OP is talking about the V3 MP3 player, however you could try editing your MP3 files so they have a lower volume or setting the Zumo music volume lower so it matches your phone volume.

May 2011

Installed Hondaline CB ($599 via Wingstuff.com)
Installed Wingstuff 3pc Deluxe Carpet Kit for Trunk and Saddlebags.
Replaced the GPS buttons due to previous owner spilling brake fluid on them and causing them to melt/distort. eBay find from a Honda dealer... I found the entire button assembly, new in the box, for @ $125.
Installed my Garmin ZUMO 550 from my 1500.
Installed the BikeMP3 GPS Mic Interface allowing me to use fully utilize the ZUMO's features via the AUX function. Also allowed me to use the Bluetooth features of my cell phone via the ZUMO.
Purchased new HJC Sy-Max II Modular Helmets and transferred my J&M headsets to them.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Recently installed my Bike MP3 and not happy with volume. How can I increase the volume of music? Is it done when transferring to hard drive/downloading from internet? I would like to be able to have my musicloaded at a consistent volume so I'm not always turning it up or down with each song. I can barely hear the music when riding even at slower speeds and not worth it at highway speeds.

With my I-pod nano I turn the nano volume to max and have no problems. I know its something I can change but just don't know how. TIA:bow:
Very simple your MP3 files have all been sampled at different levels you need to use an MP3 editing program to set the files to the same level do a google search on that you will find many free programs

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Mp3 gain. problem is NOT bike mp3 player but your downloads are at different bit rates

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Looking at posts about your bike from May 2011 you have said that you have the BikeMP3 MIC interface this has nothing to do with the volume of the incoming phone calls or GPS music output your issue is in your GPS and phone as the BikeMP3 interface only connects the microphone output to the GPS and not the audio output to the bike.
I think I get what you are saying.

I should not expect any volume loss via the GPS Mic Interface... because it's "Mic" interface. Makes sense.

I've checked the connections and everything looks good. Volume is up full on the Zumo and on the Phone. I'm wondering if there's an inline amp I can install that would help? Anyone know?

Just for clarification... my MP3's, Navigation voice, and cell calls on the ZUMO are all relatively the same volume level (phone being the quietest). It's when I switch over to FM that I get "Blasted", if I don't turn the volume way down first.

Thanks,

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Its unusual for the GPS to be the lowest as it has an internal amplifier for speakers or headsets which would boost it

Revisit the manual and make sure your master volume is set high

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Revisit the manual and make sure your master volume is set high
Being a typical "Man"... I was incensed at your suggestion at first. I thought to myself... "The owner's manual?? Is he friggin' kidding me? Does he not think I understand a simple piece of tech like a GPS system???"

Well... it turns out... that... um... well... yeah, the owner's manual solved the problem. :oops:

Even though I had the internal volume levels set to 100% in the audio settings menu (which I incorrectly assumed was the "master volume")... the actual master volume was set on @ 50%. The master volume is the volume control that pops up after hitting the "speaker" button on the bottom left of the Zumo. Wow... I feel like an idiot. But hey... my problem is fixed!! So, I don't feel that bad really. :)

It's sooooooo much nicer now. Thanks for the suggestion Pete! :)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As suggested, I downloaded MP3 Gain and now understand the volume leveling to avoid turning the volume up and down with each song. I'm sure that will help with that problem.

The other part of my question is....... Can I get my Bike MP3 to playback at the same volume levels that my I-pod will? In other words, if I'm playing music using bike MP3 with volume set at 12 and then switch to my I-pod, the volume is at least twice as loud, still set at 12, as it is with Bike MP3. I can ride at 65MPH and hear the I-pod when set at volume level of 20, but when using Bike MP3 at that setting (20), I can barely make out the instrumentals and cant' hear the lyrics. Does this have something to do with the poorer stereo system on earlier Wings?

Turn up the bikes volume after making sure your mute switch is not activated.
Mute isn't on

It's really bad when I have the volume turned all the way up just to hear a phone call and I forget to turn the volume down before the call terminates... as a result, I get "BLASTED" by the volume when it switches back over.
I get "BLASTED" if I switch from FM to AUX/I-pod.

I use MP3 gain on all my mp3's and set the gain at 97 and my wing volume is set at 13 and the the music sounds great at 80 mph. MP3 gain is a freebee, go to www.download.com and download it for free!
If I set the volume at 13 with Bike MP3, it's good for listening while standing still in the garage.

Hope I have clarified this better. Thanks to all that have answered.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Your iPod has an internal amplifier so it is a louder input the bike system does not have this pre-amplification if you decrease the output of the iPod the level of the main system will have to be increased but all inputs will be leveled out

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Thanks for this info i was wondering why the CD changer player sounds better than the Bike MP3 so i have to download the songs using MP3gain ? is this correct

CHEERS :thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts