GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a bike that has a BikeMp3 cb installed
it came with no paper work and it looks like Pete and the company are MIA
is there someone that knows something about them I can call and we can trouble shoot it
it appears to be working (ie) the bike reports it has a cb, I can turn it on and off, when I push the PTT is show xmit
I can switch audio between headset and speakers

but

there is no noise of any kind. no receive, no squelch, no nothing
thanks

·
Premium Member
2,863 Posts
I am by no means an expert on those CB's or any for that matter. I have only installed one that worked and it still gives the owner some grief from time to time. I can only think of one thing and you probably already done this but are you sure the CB volume is turned up? Also have you tried transmitting to another radio to see if they can hear you?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I am wondering if your problem has anything to do with the second radio function. I can find any of my paper work on the radio, but to active the second radio you ....push the push to talk button 2 or 3 times quickly and repeat to return to CB. You should be able to find a thread on how to do this.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Push the transmit lever three times within five seconds and the radio should switch back to the CB function. Repeat to change back.

Reactions: thecruiser

·
Registered
191 Posts
Bike MP3 CB Issues

I see you ride a 2012 so you have the latter version of the BikeMP3 CB radio I presume. Mine (the third unit from Pete - it finally worked for more than a day!) is under the floor of the trunk mounted beneath the main audio unit. If yours is as well then we have the same model unit. The problem I had with the first unit was 'CB ERROR' message on the display. Try removing the CB checking all connections (there are several). Water can find it's way into the CB compartment so you could have some corrosion. I have the manual for the unit and will be happy to copy or scan and send to you if you like.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Push the transmit lever three times within five seconds and the radio should switch back to the CB function. Repeat to change back.
Good thought, I didn't think of that. :wink2:
I have one of the later versions of the Bikemp3 CB (the one that had the $.05 fix) and love it.
I've had no problems with it at all,... well, maybe one.
When Riding is a group apparently my unit has better modulation that Honda units and I get complaints that I 'talk' too loud!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies. I need to update my info. this bike is a 2008 and I think it has the later radio from Pete
I messed with it some more yesterday and found that it is receiving and there is squelch but it is very weak. the volume does not seem to make it any louder at all. If it is very quiet in the shop I can hear people talking on it but not loud enough to make out anything being said, I forgot about the 3 PTT to switch from second radio back to CB I will give that a try.
thanks again

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Good thought, I didn't think of that. :wink2:
I have one of the later versions of the Bikemp3 CB (the one that had the $.05 fix) and love it.
I've had no problems with it at all,... well, maybe one.
When Riding is a group apparently my unit has better modulation that Honda units and I get complaints that I 'talk' too loud!
I ride with club nearly every week and get the same response. Always "loud and clear".

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
For the GL2Way version of the BikeMP3 CB system, here are the most common programming / reset programming commands...

Warning - while these are pretty fool-proof, nothing is guaranteed as a lot of us make pretty good fools of ourselves...

The 3that are officially supported menu commands are

Enter programming by setting to CH7 then UP UP DOWN DOWN on SQUELCH to enterprogramming (you will hear an acknowledgement beep)

goto CH20 Set CB volume to 20 then PTT for full reset

goto CH26 Set CB volume between 13 and 16 for MIC level 16 is default

goto CH18 Set CB volume to 1 for FRS on 0 for FRS off

Hit PTT to Exit

Hope this helps someone - pm me if additional info desired.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
For the GL2Way version of the BikeMP3 CB system, here are the most common programming / reset programming commands...

Warning - while these are pretty fool-proof, nothing is guaranteed as a lot of us make pretty good fools of ourselves...

Enter programming by setting to CH7 then UP UP DOWN DOWN on SQUELCH to enterprogramming (you will hear an acknowledgement beep)

Hit PTT to Exit

Jerry, are you saying this adjusts the modulation level?

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Jerry, are you saying this adjusts the modulation level?
Sorta - by adjusting the mic volume, you lower the mic input level to the system, which does lower the modulation level (it makes you less loud to others). It's one of those things you have to set it at some level, broadcast to your riding buddies and see how you sound to them versus others in your group. I get told my signal is much louder than everyone else, however I'm just too lazy to lower my mic volume setting, so I just talk a bit softer. What they do like is my range is so much better than theirs because of the higher modulation.

Reactions: thecruiser

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Sorta - by adjusting the mic volume, you lower the mic input level to the system, which does lower the modulation level (it makes you less loud to others). It's one of those things you have to set it at some level, broadcast to your riding buddies and see how you sound to them versus others in your group. I get told my signal is much louder than everyone else, however I'm just too lazy to lower my mic volume setting, so I just talk a bit softer. What they do like is my range is so much better than theirs because of the higher modulation.
I get it. Thanks Jerry, I'll try that. :laugh:

·
Registered
8,554 Posts

Hit PTT to Exit

Jerry, is it necessary to go through all the steps? What I mean, is it necessary to do the full reset by going to CH 20 or can we skip that and go directly to CH 26 to set the CB volume?
I don't presently use a 'family radio' so don't see the need to mess with CH 18 at all either. I just don't want to 'adjust' anything by doing a full reset without knowing for sure what I'm doing.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Sorry for the delay in answering, been on the road. No - not necessary to do full reset before doing the other changes - just go to whatever change is desired. The full reset is for use when either the unit is not working right and need to reboot, or you made a change to the system and want to go back to the way it was.

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
My concern is that I don't have the GL2Way version. I have the last version Pete put out, do you know if those commands work on it?

And isn't that the version you have as well Larry?

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
My concern is that I don't have the GL2Way version. I have the last version Pete put out, do you know if those commands work on it?

And isn't that the version you have as well Larry?
Ya, it's the latest version that I ended up with. Funny how that happened...

I originally bought a CB from Pete, older style, two boxes, one marked Harley Davidson I believe. It didn't work for crap. Then at some point Pete was offering the newer GL2way on a trade-in for $230 if I remember right. I didn't order the extra cord for a Family Radio because I didn't know which version I wanted. When the new GL2way arrived the radio didn't have a jack for a Family Radio. I questioned Pete about it. He said the jack in the radio was the same for all cords, that it was the other end that was different depending on the Family Radio you had. Apparently he was saving a nickle by leaving them off the radio's that folks ordered but didn't order the $20 Family Radio cord. He had me 'guess' which cord I wanted and would send it to me along with a radio with the jack.

Listen to this,... it's where it gets good. Even if Pete had two-day shipped it to me in Michigan, we were leaving for Florida the next day so if he shipped it to me at my home I wouldn't have received it for four months, when we returned from Florida. So Pete agreed to send it from AZ to the shop in FL. I would pick it up there and give the girlie there (forget her name) the old jack-less radio.
When we got to FL, I went over to Bartow and (hold my beer) the radio was there but no cord!
She had no idea what to do. the cords were stocked in AZ and she didn't have any. She called Pete and he said he'd two-day ship one to the FL store. Well, after two-weeks it still wasn't there. Calls to Pete just made matters worse. I had a tracking number but it showed it never reached the Post Office. I told Pete I was putting a hold on payment through my CC and he got a little bent. I'll interject here that lots of folk about this time was having trouble with Pete's radios,.. and with Pete. He started lying to the folks and his credibility was going down the hole.
He tells me he's "not going to send the cord" (he already said it was mailed two weeks ago) and for me to send the radio back to him,... he wasn't going to sell it to me. HUH? By now of course I have the radio installed and it's workin' GREAT! There is no way I'll be sending it back to him.

This was about the time Pete announced that the new GL2way was 'fixed' by a $.05 part. Apparently the radio Pete sent to me via the FL store was the latest and greatest. I have no complaints about it. The modulation does need to be a little less though. When traveling in a group apparently I'm LOUD! I didn't know the modulation could be adjusted 'til this thread.

I don't know why Pete went out of business. There was a time when he was well thought of and did a great job for everyone. All of a sudden everything went down the tube. I know there were some problems with the radios and a lot of folks just couldn't get 'em fixed.

EDIT: Sorry, I made an error...
The original version was the "GL2Way",... after the 'trade-in', all the above was about the "Evolution" model CB not the GL2Way.
Sorry 'bout that!

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have the BikeMP3 Evolution CB. When it is working, it works great. However, soon after installing it I got the dreaded "CB ERROR" fault and had to send it in for the now famous "5 cent" fix. It again worked great for a year or so and then would lock up in TX mode, but not sending out a signal, and give me a continuous buzzing in my speakers or headset. I debated on replacing it with a Honda unit or send it in for repair. I opted to cheap out and send it in to be repaired. Mine was probably one of the last they repaired, assuming they are no longer doing so. The repaired unit seems to be working fine, but I've noticed my radio no longer has the "roger beep" or FRS radio options. I didn't really need or use them, but I like having the option available. As I said, all is working good for now, but I feel like I will have a Honda CB replacement in my future.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts