GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a media player (MP3) from Wingstuff a while back. Details of the model, etc. are in the attached photo. A few years ago I found my Goldwing battery dead. Strange I thought, but to be safe, replaced it. Last year my new Yuasa battery was dying. I don't ride often, so attributed it to that. Then recently riding, the MP3 player would not work, had to unplug it to get it to work, etc. I also noticed one day the MP3 player device was very hot...strange, why would that be hot in the trunk in my garage after a week of not riding my Goldwing? Hmmm.

Today I thought I want to investigate this further... my shock was that when I got the MP3 player to work, then I turned off the ignition. Audio system panel is still lit up/on! As I have a map holder over my audio panel, I never noticed this before, (especially in the daylight) but the audio system remained on (no sound) and only a terrible crackling sound when you switched the key off-on-park and back! And finally in my dark garage today, I found out that it is this piece of crap MP3 player causing it! I even removed the MP3 player and there was NO way to turn off my audio system. I had to disconnect the battery and full regular functionality of the audio system is returned. The MP3 player you see in the photo is in the trash. I noticed BikeMP3 Inc has long gone out of business, sadly I can see why.

So now it is time to use my old iPod (8GB). I wish there was a cable to connect the iPod to the CD player cable in the trunk so I could at least change songs like before with the MP3 player. Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

I really hate to buy a J&M MP3 player when I have an iPod doing nothing else in my desk drawer.

Anyways, you have been warned, get rid of this device! I also now have a Battery Tender trickle charger in my garage and my battery woes appear to be over with. Ride safe and wave!

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts
Been a lot of negative comments about BikeMp3, fortunately this thing no longer exists. BikeMp3 started out in a small rental unit in Bartow FL, there a couple years established a website trying to make it all work out, it did not. All of a sudden the owner just closed the doors and went off to Las Vegas, at least that the story about Las Vegas.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
NO THANK YOU! Mine has worked great had it on my '03, transferred to my '10 and was supposed to have issues with my 2010 w/NAV but it worked just as well. I don't use it alot but everytime i switch to it it works, picks up where i left off last time i had it on. Knock on wood and hope i didn't just jinx myself.

If we threw things away because somebody else had problems with like models...???? Well that would be just dumb.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NO THANK YOU! Mine has worked great had it on my '03, transferred to my '10 and was supposed to have issues with my 2010 w/NAV but it worked just as well. I don't use it alot but everytime i switch to it it works, picks up where i left off last time i had it on. Knock on wood and hope i didn't just jinx myself.

Good for you! I am sure many of them work but be careful! Many more it appears seem to have failed. And I got this info from other GL websites.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
I have this same unit and did have issues with it locking up and probably would have had a dead battery if it did it when I turned off the key. When mine started locking up, I did some troubleshooting and found the connector they used was poorly connected to the circuit board and it had no mounting nuts on it to keep the connecting cable from vibrating loose. After soldering on some mounting nuts and other touch ups to their soldering, it has worked flawlessly for more than 5 years. These were built in China and their quality control was defective.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have this same unit and did have issues with it locking up and probably would have had a dead battery if it did it when I turned off the key. When mine started locking up, I did some troubleshooting and found the connector they used was poorly connected to the circuit board and it had no mounting nuts on it to keep the connecting cable from vibrating loose. After soldering on some mounting nuts and other touch ups to their soldering, it has worked flawlessly for more than 5 years. These were built in China and their quality control was defective.

Curious, so you opened it up? Can you open the case up and do that? I can go get it from the garbage can and try that if that's what you mean? Let me know! Thanks!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Mine has work just fine for about 8 years but if you leave the I-pod plugged in to it it does stay powered up because it is charging the I-pod. If I leave the bike for more than a week I will up-plug the I-pod.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I have had just the opposite with mine...I just INSTALLED a NEW IN THE BOX Bike MP3 player WITH BLUETOOTH and works fine. I occasionally get the NO DISC error (NAVI Bike) But I DO have a RESET tool I got from Pete...I spoke with Pete many times and visited with him at Bike Week and we had several conversations about his GL2Way when I was testing one of them before they went on sale. No problems with either my GL2way or the 3 Mp3 players I have had...I just installed the BLUETOOTH unit 2 months ago....

Reactions: weengers

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
So now it is time to use my old iPod (8GB). I wish there was a cable to connect the iPod to the CD player cable in the trunk so I could at least change songs like before with the MP3 player. Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

I really hate to buy a J&M MP3 player when I have an iPod doing nothing else in my desk drawer.

There used to be a product called "Soundgate iPhone Interface" (or something similar to that) that did exactly this. My '08 had one on it when I bought it (used - in '12). I disconnected it since I didn't have any Apple products.

If you're interested, I might be able to find it in my garage. The PO claimed it worked when I bought the bike - I've never tried it myself.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Curious, so you opened it up? Can you open the case up and do that? I can go get it from the garbage can and try that if that's what you mean? Let me know! Thanks!
I can no longer work on my own stuff at work, but yes, I got it open and touched up the connections where the connector was attached to the circuit board. I’m not sure that made any difference, but installing nuts on the connector plate so the cable could be attached and held tight definitely made it work without the lockup’s.

·
Registered
169 Posts
MP3 player work around

It was noticed by many who had the Bike MP3 player that if you depressed the "A Sel" button the player would lock up in the on position. It would require interrupting the power supply to the unit by removing the fuse that feeds it or disconnecting the battery. Since I was made aware of the condition I have not touched that "A Sel" button and have not had the problem since. Evidently, because the unit operates on the circuit that serviced the original CD player when activating the "A Sel" the system is searching for a CD player that doesn't exist any more, at least that is how it was described to me.

NCBirdMan
Keith

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
For me reliability is paramount. I will never have one of those, and if I did, and since some are known to be fail unpredictably, I would have removed it and probably thrown it out. I know many who just do local rides, but for me we sometimes ride in areas where there is no cell signal for 100 miles as a solo Wing, and I cannot "afford" to have that kind of stuff wired in that can possibly unexpectantly fail and drain my battery. I might add that the areas that come to mind offer now shade and a really hot climate.

Reactions: Art H.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
I bought a media player (MP3) from Wingstuff a while back. Details of the model, etc. are in the attached photo. A few years ago I found my Goldwing battery dead. Strange I thought, but to be safe, replaced it. Last year my new Yuasa battery was dying. I don't ride often, so attributed it to that. Then recently riding, the MP3 player would not work, had to unplug it to get it to work, etc. I also noticed one day the MP3 player device was very hot...strange, why would that be hot in the trunk in my garage after a week of not riding my Goldwing? Hmmm.

Today I thought I want to investigate this further... my shock was that when I got the MP3 player to work, then I turned off the ignition. Audio system panel is still lit up/on! As I have a map holder over my audio panel, I never noticed this before, (especially in the daylight) but the audio system remained on (no sound) and only a terrible crackling sound when you switched the key off-on-park and back! And finally in my dark garage today, I found out that it is this piece of crap MP3 player causing it! I even removed the MP3 player and there was NO way to turn off my audio system. I had to disconnect the battery and full regular functionality of the audio system is returned. The MP3 player you see in the photo is in the trash. I noticed BikeMP3 Inc has long gone out of business, sadly I can see why.

Anyways, you have been warned, get rid of this device! I also now have a Battery Tender trickle charger in my garage and my battery woes appear to be over with. Ride safe and wave!
The MP3 players always stay on after you turn your bike off. You have to umplug them every time after your last ride of the day. I would always leave mine on if for gas and food stops only. Mine was in the left side pocket of my 08

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have had mine for quite a few years never turned it off (never listen to the radio ) only had to reset a few times Maybe I am just lucky
Pete

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
The MP3 players always stay on after you turn your bike off. You have to umplug them every time after your last ride of the day. I would always leave mine on if for gas and food stops only. Mine was in the left side pocket of my 08
Mine does not.

Reactions: rayjoe

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I had the V01 and now the V03 for almost 10 years and never had it "turned on after shutting off the bike". I never had an issue with Pete and he was ALWAYS responsive to posts on this (original) site as well as emails.

I was kind of thrown when he shut down his business because I was having an issue with my V03 - I was using a USB stick and it was giving me all kinds of headaches. I changed to a SD card and haven't looked back. I use it exclusively - and a couple years ago put on a 4000 mile trip it was nice to have over 900 songs. . . .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts