GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 that I recently bought used and just put on some Avon tires. I have always used bridgestones on my two previous Wings. I thought would try something different. My question is this, I 've noticed a slight squirm in the front tire at really slow speed ( barely rolling with foot off pegs) and if I remove hands at freeway speed it veers to the left. I didn't notice this before tire change. Would a bad tire would cause this? They were computer balanced at a tire shop. If not the tire what would cause the bike to veer to the left? thanks Bill

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I can speak to the pull to the left. First, empty your saddlebags and trunk. Ensure you are actually sitting in the center of the seat (you would be surprised, I don't as a rule) and give that a try. If it still pulls, then maybe there are other issues.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have indeed emptied the bags and make sure I'm sitting in center. It pulls left in this condition. If I loaded right bag up with heavy tool kit and stuff it evens things out pretty much. However, I like to store tools/compressor/raingear in the left bag because the right side is easier to load/unload on side stand. thanks for the suggestion

·
Registered
345 Posts
Question....has this bike ever been in a crash of any sort that you know of...? Did you buy it...new or was it used when you got it...?

Just wondering...in my way of thinking there is a number of things that can do this...bent frame being one of the big ones.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Given the symptoms were not noted prior to the tire change and that other conditions have not changed, such as how you loaded the bags, I would suspect the tire mounting or the re-assembly. The Avon's sidewall has a directional arrow upon it, make sure that arrow is pointing toward the forward direction of rotation which will match that similar arrow embossed upon the rim spoke. When inspecting the tire for any delamination or bulges, don't overlook the rear tire.

prs

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did buy bike used but was assured never in wreck. And the systoms weren't there before tire change. I know the tire squirm wasn't there before. I normaly mount and install myself but this time it was a convince thing and I had it done. I think I will basically "remove and reinstall the front and see if that helps.

PR, I have checked for proper mounting(correct rotation direction) and I will check rear for any delamination, thanks for the suggestions. Bill

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'm with Techdude, who is seldom wrong. Check that the front wheel, axel and spacers were installed correctly.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Another thought is you may have the upper triple tree out of alignment with the lower. That will put a twist in the upper tubes. Also you may have one tube (or both), bent slightly.:shrug::shrug:

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I'm probably preaching to the choir, but have you checked pressure? I brought one home once with only 16lbs courtesy of the tire mounter who I will not return to.

Also, I don't want this to turn into a tire brand debate because that's largely a waste of time but anecdotally, I have ridden a wing with Avons and it not only handled miserably, it did pull to the left.

Here's a quick and dirty dial indicator to check for bulges or runnout.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I'm with Techdude, who is seldom wrong. Check that the front wheel, axel and spacers were installed correctly.

Is it possible to install the spacers wrong. One is larger than the other. No?

prs

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Another thought is you may have the upper triple tree out of alignment with the lower. That will put a twist in the upper tubes.:shrug::shrug:
That is a very good speculation and easy to check/correct.

prs

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,215 Posts
Nope the spacers are not interchangeable. I'm not sure what can be done wrong, but I know my bike pulled a little to the left and after I had a new tire put on and I reinstalled the wheel, it doesn't pull anymore. :shrug:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Is it possible to install the spacers wrong. One is larger than the other. No?

prs
I read right here on this post about someone who installed one inside out!! Seriously, they do have lines on them that let you know they are in all the way and didn't get things bungled up.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
There are several things to look at including tire, tire balancing, wheel alignment. Also other things to consider are fork height alignment and upper and lower triple tree alignment. One other thing that might cause this is internal fork spring condition or oil levels.

I am still convinced that much of the wobble that the GL1800 is infamous for has to do with the alignment of the fork.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
several have suggested that I check alignment of the triple trees. How is the best way to do that? I will reset the front axle/spacers and fork brace tonight or tomorrow, but thought I would check the tree alignment as well. I've installed the fork tubes before and made sure the right height was there but was never concerned about the tree alginment. thanks for all the suggestions. Bill

1 - 20 of 27 Posts