GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 Gl1800. Just purchased and went on my 1st trip. about 95 miles out, I lost my radio, and then tac and speedo, and finally fuel injection.
I got the bike back to my local dealer. They replaced the battery and sent me on my way. I rode again and wound up stranded again. Honda pulled the alternator and it checks out fine. all fusses have been checked and all I get from the mechanics are big puzzeld looks! Does anyone have any suggestions, as to where to go next, or what I might look for? My riding weather is fading fast.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Did they check the alternator while it was in the bike to see if it was charging? Check all your fuses if the bike is in your possesion. If it is at the dealer they should be able to get it figured out if they have a real mechanic working there. Best guess and parts replacement without diagnostic testing is a sign of a poor mechanic.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
They need to check the entire assembly, not just the alternator.

How do you know if it is working or not? You check the voltage at the battery before, during and after running the bike.

Since your problem appears to be that the battery is not being maintained during your ride, it will require a little more than checking the alternator.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Attach a volt meter to your battery before starting the bike and observe the voltage. Then start the bike. after running for about 5-10 seconds the voltage should rise to a little above 14. If the voltage doesn't rise, then the battery isn't being charged.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Clean all the grounds. Everything can seem to work fine, but when you have a ground problem vibration can make problems like this reoccur.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Another thing to check is the fuse for the cruise control. If it is blown, the alternator won't charge. A quick check is to start the bike & verify that the orange "cruise on" light is lit when the cruise control switch is depressed on the right handlebar control stalk.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found the problem!

The rectifier in the altenator begins to stop functioning after the bike reaches its temperature range. all other sources checked out. I ordered a new altenator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts