GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to ship a bike domestically.

Is there such a thing as a reliable and inexpensive shipper? (perhaps those terms are mutually exclusive) Are they all the same or are there one or two which stand out for attractive price and quality of service?

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
I had great service from Allied Shipping. In 2003 I got a 1200 on Ebay and had it shipped. At the time, the price was significantly cheaper than others we checked.

We booked them through:

Federal Motorcycle Transport
800.747.4100 x213
309.694.4500 x213
309.282.0438 Fax

They were friendly and responsive. The price from Des Moines, IA to Helena, MT was about $500 - I'd suspect prices are a lot more now. Also, it took a couple weeks - depends on the routes of the trucks. I don't think there's and overnight option. :wink:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have just had my bike shipped from Columbus, OH to Houston, TX using JC Motors (http://www.motorcycleshippers.com).
I've liked dealing with them and the bike has arrived on the first day of the arrival estimate range. I can highly recommend them and I would use them again. My representative was Gary.

Here a couple of things to keep in mind.
  1. Most motorcycle shippers use a 4x8 pallet. that's 96 inches. The Wing is 103 (or 106?). Out of all previously recommended companies I've talked to only Federal and JC Motors would do specials like the Goldwing[/*:m:1h0hd9co]
  2. Make sure you pay attention to the pickup and delivery conditions. Federal charges extra for residential pickup and more extra residential delivery.[/*:m:1h0hd9co]
  3. Pay extra attention to the insurance they offer and the terms. I've read somebody mentioning the insurance value is not covering but proportional to the the value of the bike (if you insure a $20k bike for $10k they'll pay only 50% of damages up to $10k). I may have read that wrong, but can't hurt to make sure.[/*:m:1h0hd9co]
  4. Take a billion of pictures of the bike before shipping. Make sure it gets inspected right as they unload it - it's harder to make insurance claims afterwards.[/*:m:1h0hd9co]

Read this page for more details on what to look for - it's good info from a bike shipping company.
http://allenautotransport.com/facts.html

·
Registered
747 Posts
use www.haulbikes.com these guys have their own trucks and drivers. very professionsal and they actually care about YOUR bike unlike JC shipping, they farm it out to any truck heading your way

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my plan is.............

Roy
I am thinking about a trip out west next summer with a certain bunch of currently (*supposedly*) un-indited co-conspirators (my kinda people). I am 62 years old and if I don't do it now I will always say "woulda coulda shoulda" and I already have more of those than I want, and am determined to not have more (hey, life is short, eat desert first).

I am just lining up my options and putting a budget together and telling myself "don't woose out", because if not then, then when........so that is my grand plan and this is desert.
Pete

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Sounds like a good idea Frisk. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I am currently having a Wing shipped from Sacremento, CA to Birmingham, AL with HaulBikes. I'll post a final report. So far has been affordable and seems to be going rather well. The only Wing specific detail with them is a 58" height limit. Stock windshield must be removed since it is 61". They will not transport additional items, either, such as the windshield. Rates are very competitive and base insurance with $500 deductible is $15K.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts