GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He looked at my front tire and said.... "man is that a cupped up mess!!"...who ever balanced that tire did a crap job!!

I looked at him and smiled and said..... They did it here at your shop.

He said NO WAY!!!!! my machine is one of the best balancing machines that money can buy. There is no way that tire was balanced here.
I said .....AH I brought it in brand new last August along with a new rear tire. Your young fellow changed em and balanced em.

He said...... I have been selling metz for over 20 years and I have NEVER heard of one wobbling unless it was balanced wrong.

I am in the process of collecting parts to check tire balance for myself.
No more BSing around with every hot head mr. perfection out there.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
dw said:
He said...... I have been selling metz for over 20 years and I have NEVER heard of one wobbling unless it was balanced wrong.
Hmm 20 years sounds impressive, but that doesn't mean how many tires he has worked on during that time. If he's never heard of a Metzeler wobbling on a GL1800 (and still being balanced correctly) he hasn't done too many. Not that uncommon. Mine was a bad rear Metzeler and I finally took it off because it felt unsafe at any speed (and yes, the hands were on the handlebars all the time).

DaleC

·
Registered
17,388 Posts
I think the gentleman is under a false impresson regarding the relationship of cupping or scalloping of tires and balance. Tires that are significantly out of balance may well show wear patterns related to that issue. My auto tire center has or used to have a chart of wear patterns and related causes, but on motorcycles, the wear patterns that develop may well be related more closely to hard braking, under inflation, and weight distribution/tracking issues. BUt, then again he is the pro.....

prs

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,
It seems that since I can remember, I have always had cupping in the front. Perhaps it is because I use counter stearing alot.
I get a kick out of twisting a bike around.
And with 2 up, I use counter stearing as a way to control the bike with extra weight.

Maybe your right....... the cupping issue may be seperate from balance altogether.

Now....... if someone would give me a free metz front tire, I promise to make sure its balanced to perfection!!!

And then if there is cupping..... it ain't got much to do with balance....RIGHT :wink:

·
Registered
381 Posts
I thourhgt every one counter steers, thats how you make a bike turn after 10 - 20 mph!

Nigel F

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nigelf said:
I thourhgt every one counter steers, thats how you make a bike turn after 10 - 20 mph!

Nigel F
Hi Nigel,
Maybe its just me..... I had to spent my first summer back on a bike after so many years practicing on a twistee route. And really had to concentrate on pushing/pulling the front end down and out, into turns.
After that and taking the advanced rider course (turtle speed tight-A turns) its become second nature to me.

Really love flipping that front end around :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Arn Butt Bill said:
Suspension.
You might be right at that Arn.

Then, I didn't change my suspension at all from one tire change to the next, yet the wobble was sure not there on one set, and obviously there on the next set.

Maybe the suspension has to be different for different model tire??

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
Cupping can be caused by several things. The way you ride and suspension are two of the major culprits.

When Traxxion gets their DVD ready about suspensions on the 1800, you need to get a copy. No, I don't work there or owe Max anything. I just happen to think that he is right.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
dw said:
Arn Butt Bill said:
Suspension.
You might be right at that Arn.

Then, I didn't change my suspension at all from one tire change to the next, yet the wobble was sure not there on one set, and obviously there on the next set.

Maybe the suspension has to be different for different model tire??
Suspension always matters but doesn't usually need to be set differently from one tire brand to another.
I'd look for errors made while mounting the tire that might have mis-alligned the axle or forks. A properly installed forkbrace can aid in re-installing the front wheel.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I bought a set of Metzler 880 tires, in Arizona, while on a recent 15,000 mile cross country trip to Alaska, on my 01' GL 1800. The tires went bad in 700 miles, (dangerous tank slapping movement of the handle bars with both hands of the bars, on acceleration, between 25 and 50 mph), and I had to have them replaced in Colorado with Dunlop E3's, (no more wobble for 13,000 miles and plenty of tread left yet). I shipped the Metzler tires home to Ohio, expecting Metzler Tire to replace them after I returned home from my trip.

Jeff at Metzler has told me that it is unlikely that both front and rear tires are bad, so he said they would look at them and consider replacing one, to see if that solved the problem. If it didn't then they would consider replacing the other tire. He also said that the mounting and balancing was something that I would have to take care of.

It is very hard to contact Metzler Tire regarding warranty replacement. Jeff and his secretary told me that their phone rings off the hook and they just haven't had time to return phone calls. It seems that he is the only one that can handle warranty problems.

Jeff also told me that they are having alot of problems with people putting the wrong size Metzler tires, on the Goldwing, and having the tires fail. My tires are the correct tires and were maintained at 42 lbs rear and 41 lbs front.

I'm still hopeful that Metzler will take care of replacing these faulty tires.
So far I have been dealing with them for several weeks without any resolution.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Sure is funny how they will take your money for tires and then if you have a problem, they can never find time to fix the problem or even call you back.

If Jeff is having that many calls concerning their tires, it might just tell you something? Huh?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Arn Butt Bill said:
I'd look for errors made while mounting the tire that might have mis-alligned the axle or forks. A properly installed forkbrace can aid in re-installing the front wheel.
Yup, I agree,
I brought the bike over to the dealer where I got it and had them re-check the axle alignment, and torques.

Nothing found there.
I'll have to look into the forkbrace.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ytownmac said:
The tires went bad in 700 miles, (dangerous tank slapping movement of the handle bars with both hands of the bars, on acceleration, between 25 and 50 mph), ........ I shipped the Metzler tires expecting Metzler Tire to replace them...It is very hard to contact Metzler Tire regarding warranty replacement. Jeff and his secretary told me that their phone rings off the hook and they just haven't had time to return phone calls. It seems that he is the only one that can handle warranty problems.... Jeff also told me that they are having alot of problems with people putting the wrong size Metzler tires, on the Goldwings
Good info ytownmac!!
When your getting that many calls, and your expressing that people are putting on the wrong size tires. It makes me kinda wonder, if underneath there somewhere there isn't an acknowledgement the something else is wrong.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Nigelf said:

Nigel F
Yep, everyone does it, some don't realize it, and some don't even know what you are talking about :shock:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts