GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am setting to send the seat to John, but can't decide in the Regular vs Large mod.
I am 5'11'' tall, 32 in seam, 34-35 sleeve, 230 lb. (now we are getting personal... :wink: )

The reason I am considering this in the first place, is because I feel that I need to accomplish 3 things:

1. Just want to seat further back to have a bit more of a reach to the bars
2. Unload my bad knees, by pushing myself back
3. Get a better foam, cause I don't like to HAVE to stop

Need your advice on how the Large mod would feel, I am afraid that there may be too much seat behind me to reach the backrest, while being Ok with knees and reach to the bars.

If there is someone my size who did the seat by John - please, share!

P.S. I did the search, read the "Get comfortable", etc,....

As always,
Thank you!!!!
Lenny.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
5"11......175#......regular works for me.

John

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
make that 5' 11"

John

·
Registered
337 Posts
My seat will be here on tomorrow. I went with the regular and the utopia backrest.

I will let ya know how it works out. BTW......turnaround was one day. If the seat is as good as the service.....I will be a happy camper.

RRP

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Seat

I have the Large and am NOT sold on the seat modification.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Phew! ..... I started wondering, JBurd!!!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ron, please let me know how it works out!
Are you the same size as me?
Yes, t/around is 1 day on the regular, because they don't have to send it out to the upholstery shop to redo the seam on the Large.
That's what John told me.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Hi Lenny.

I guess I can chime in here since I have ridden on both 8)

Based on what you wrote..

If you want to sit back, the Large is the only way to do this.
If you want your knees unloaded from the stock position, the Large is the only way to do this.

Your arm length is about the same as mine, and I have no problem reaching the stock bars. If you feel your arms are stretched, you can get reg risers to compensate. One other way to compensate is to add a Utopia backrest so you sit more upright thus having more reach. The drivers backrest on the Large seat does not provide much support since it is cut at an angle. This is one of the limitations that come with modifying a stock seat. The only way to get true back support with the Large seat is with a Utopia.

The foam in either model is the same, and you can expect great things from either model.

It kinda boils down to personal preference since you could ride on either. Hope this helps, and I hope you get feedback from other WingSoft owners.

John

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, John!
I knew you would chime in at some point! :wink:
You have been kind enough to walk me thru many questions over the phone and I appreciate it!

·
Registered
73 Posts
icing777, I have the large with the utopia and am exactly the same size( alittle less at 210) but I really like the slightly furtherback seating position. I do have longer than normal arms as well. Shorter amred people would need to use reg risers to move the bars back a bit. I love the seat and John has been great to work with. A very good vendor.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I am the same size as you. I started out with the regular. It seemed like I sat right on top of the insert. I had no pocket for my (big) butt. I put about 5 thousand miles on it that way and it did not get any better. I sent it back to John for the large mod. It was better but I actually sat too far back. The insert was a little too far forward and would bruise me on an Iron Butt kind of ride. If I was to do it over ,I would see if John could take out maybe 1- 1.5 inches of the rear bolster. That would have worked out good for me , and you and I are the same size.

One thing that might have been my problem. John and I agreed to put a little stiffer foam in my insert for LD riding. I gave it about 15,000 miles and it did not work for me. The standard might have.
John is a good guy and will help you any way possible.
I also had the passenger part done, with the insert and the more upright seating position. My Wife Loves it.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
John, is it possible to remove just a part of the driver's back rest instead of a complete removal?
Thanks!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Because we use the stock vinyl, we are limited in how we can cut the vinyl. The only way to cut the seat is along the factory seams. There isnt enough play to do it any other way. That makes it an all or nothing deal.

Don.
If you want the drivers insert swapped out for the standard one, just give me a call. I have done a couple iron butt rides on the standard foam, and you really dont need any additional support.

John

·
Registered
377 Posts
OK , Thanks, John. I'll give you a call. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
when you go to the large size, how does that effect the passengers room?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would say it does not at all, because just the bolster is removed.
But, if you install the Utopia or such, you will be cutting into the passenger's area. According to John, that could be mitigated by slimming down the passenger's bolster (less foam) and gaining that room back.

How did I do, John ???

But come to think of it now - if the passenger's bolster can be slimmed down, there would be access vinyl to be sewn up, right?
Then why can't the driver's bolster be done like that as well?

Sorry to be a PITA :roll:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts