GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at the GMRS radio's trying to decide which ones to get for my Wife and myself so we can talk when she is on her bike and I on mine. (She thinks I need a good naggin' even when we ride I guess)

The Question I have is : I noticed at the bottom of the product details it says " Requires FCC license "

Does it really ???

Midland
LXT300VP3

Up to 10 Mile Range
Value Pack Includes: 2 Radios, Dual Desk Charger, Rechargeable Batteries, AC Adapter, Belt Clips
22 Channels
Channel Scan - Automatically checks channels for activity
3 Call Alerts - Different call tones to notify you of incoming calls from your group
Silent Operation - Turns off all tones for quiet operation
Auto Squelch - Removes annoying background noise
Auto Battery Save - Provides longer battery life
Keypad Lock - Locks in your selected settings
Roger Beep - Indicates call completion
Backlit Display - For easy nighttime viewing
Monitor - Checks for any activity on your channel
Water Resistant - Prevents damage from light water exposure
Keystroke Tones - Audible tones with each key press
Mic/Headphone Jacks - For speaker mic and headphones
Uses 4 AAA batteries (not included)
Requires FCC license

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
No, at least I don't think so. Have you ever heard of anybody getting charged with operating without a radio license? At least that's my logic. My wife and I use those radios on our bikes for long rides.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yes, the GMRS (general mobile radio service) does require a license. They aren't really expensive, but a better option is the FRS (family radio service) radios. They do not require a license. Both operate on nearly the same frequency (462 MHz area) and FM mode. The main difference is the range. The GMRS will indeed cover about 10 miles line of sight, while the FRS radios will cover about 2 miles line of sight. If you are traveling with another bike, 2 miles should be plenty. As an added inducement, the FRS radios are less expensive. Be sure to find a model with a speaker mic in/output jack as that is the easiest way to interface to the bike. Kennedy FRSet is the easiest route to that interface.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
The GMRS radios have both the FRS and GMRS channels in them. You could use the FRS channels, but have a fall-back GMRS channel in case the two of you get seperated and need the extra range...

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Just from memory, the first 7 channels (1-7) are FRS and you don't need a license for those. The next 7 channels (8-14) are GMRS and you are supposed to have a license. I don't remember what the last 8 channels (15-22) are.

I don't think too many people will get excited about you operating on GMRS without a license. They aren't expensive and very easy to get.

EDIT:
Boy, is my memory bad! :oops:

The following post corrects me.
1-7 = GMRS
8-14 = FRS
15-22 = GMRS
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found a PDF file of the owners manual, opened it and found the FCC Liscense part... here it is.

IMPORTANT NOTICE, FCC LICENSE REQUIRED FOR GMRS OPERATION
The GXT600/635/650/656 Series operates on GMRS (General Mobile Radio
Service) frequencies which require an FCC (Federal Communications
Commission) license. You must be licensed prior to operating on channels 1 - 7
or 15 - 22, which comprise the GMRS channels of the GXT600/635/650/656
Series. Serious penalties could result for unlicensed use of GMRS channels, in
violation of FCC rules, as stipulated in the Communications Act's Sections 501
and 502 (amended).
You will be issued a call sign by the FCC which should be used for station
identification when operating the radio on GMRS channels. You should also
cooperate by engaging in permissible transmissions only, avoiding channel
interference with other GMRS users, and being prudent with the length of their
transmission time.
To obtain a license or ask questions about the license application, contact the
FCC at 1-888-CALL FCC or go to the FCC's website:
www.fcc.gov/services/personal/generalmo ... nsing.html
So, I guess channels 8 through 14 are FRS channels.
Gonna look up the above web site and see what the liscense details are.

That was a dead link, I found this one..
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=service_home&id=general_mobile

The Form http://www.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605main.pdf

·
Registered
20,024 Posts
Jan Kokochak said:
How do you use a walkie talkie while wearing a helmet and operating a two handled 900 pound motorcycle.
Some GMRS radios come with headset inputs as well as a PTT input. They can be easily wired into the bike's electronics, or you can just put them on your belt and run the cable directly to the headset.

A friend of mine and I had a Nady FRS setup that was a big POS. Absolutely worthless.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Jan Kokochak said:
How do you use a walkie talkie while wearing a helmet and operating a two handled 900 pound motorcycle.
VERY CAREFULLY!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:roll: :roll:

You can get them wired in to your bike's system for full capability. A separate PTT (Push To Talk) button is sometimes possible.

If all you do is mount the FRS/GMRS radio on your handlebars and put in an ear plug so you can hear it, you have half of the problem beat. A remote microphone is an inexpensive way to talk other than just picking up the radio itself. Much of it depends on how much you want to integrate the radio to the bike. ($$$$)

Most of us just need to know what the communication is between the leader and the tailgunner is and to hear announcements about stops, etc.

I just wish that Honda had a plug and play FRS radio option.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Jan Kokochak said:
Kennedy FRSet works great with my audiovox FRS/GMRS radios. Kennedy setup allows me to integrate the radio into the GW sound system. I use their PTT. Make sure Kennedy has a harness/adapter before you buy the radios. Most of the radios have the same features anyway.

I also use the FRS mode most of the time to save the batteries. Unless you are in Kansas (flat) the extra Watts don't really buy you a lot of range anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts