GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The March 04 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News has a good article about how you can equip your bike with a GMRS Radio set for under $150.00 and have a pretty good bike to bike communication system - provided your fellow riders have also gone the GMRS radio route. GMRS Radios have up to a 7 mile broadcast and receive radius depending on the terrain. This sure beats a cost of up to $1,000 to have a CB radio system installed. Anybody out their using GMRS radios for bike to bike communications? What do you think of it - good and bad. Thanks for any feedback.

Mike700 / Oak Park, IL :yw1:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Mike, . . . .Because my wife has her own bike, we have bike-to-bike communications via CHATTER-BOX FRS radios. I do not plug into the GL1800 at all, never have. I use a PTT button mounted on my left handle and have power hard-wired into my ChatterBox radio so I never have to worry about the battery going dead. Wife has the same set up on her 1100 Shadow. It works super!

We are in a special touring group and many of us in the group are equipped with the ChatterBox radios. They have approx. a 2+ mile range but we have never needed anything longer. AND you don't have the skip chatter that a CB gives you most of the time. So, we are sold on the FRS system. One other benefit of them over the GMPS is that they are compatable with hand held radios too, so if by chance a vehicle is following us (with equipment or those who don't have a bike) then we can talk to them as well.

Good luck in your decision! :)

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have added HAM radios to both bikes here (mine and wife's). I really like the FM radio vs. the AM that is used on CB. No fade of volume with signal strength, no interference from 1500 miles away, and more privacy if we choose to do so.

·
Vendor
22,067 Posts
I have been using FRS now for about 7 or 8 years. I have a buddy I regularly travel with and we have done about 40K miles on trips together with them.

I currently am using the Autocom system, but am getting ready to switch the bike back to the stock intercom and Kennedy FRS set interface to do some headset testing.

Here are a couple reviews we wrote up a few years back.

http://www.concours.org/sc/ACeval.html

http://www.concours.org/sc/ProM1.html

·
Registered
96 Posts
The wife and I use a set of Cobra FRS to talk to each other. We got some voice activated headsets to use but her pipes were too loud on her shadow so she had to go to a PTT. They work great. We havent tried the voice activated with her new V Star yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts